VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Yep, I’ve got that Soft Cell one and it is definitely the case for the defence for 12” singles.

With an honourable mention to the 12” for Precious, by the Jam, which would actually get played in ‘standard’ discos and nightclubs back in the day.

Just saw a clip on twitter which made me think. Rage Against The Machine, regardless of your thoughts, or my thoughts on the band, has their debut aged? Sonically does it sound dated? Lyrically I assume its still relevant but does it stand up as an album that could be released today and not seem dated or out of place. Perhaps a question for the younger posters. To me at least it doesn’t sounds contemporary, it doesn’t sound of its time. (Its still dreadful)

Dunno if I could say whether it sounds "contemporary" or not as that in itself can be quite a nebulous metric.

It still bangs hard though, and I only got into RATM well after the fact.  Bombtrack and Freedom are such a great opening/closing combo.

• Like 2

10" EPs, anyone? I have a couple - Black Market Clash, and Man's Christmas at The Patti (double 10"). Have 'em both on CD, so I don't bother playing the vinyl. 

image.jpeg.683f76771db95727a78237d3f1f8ab62.jpeg

Kinks 10” complete with scars from being underneath the rapid unscheduled disassembly of a fish tank.

Plays great, looks shit.

I also have an original copy of the best ever 10”, Mike Cooper’s Rayon Hula, free jazz, Hawaiian guitar, and ambient birdsong, issued on double 10” with a limited edition Pete Fowler screen printed cover. It’s a piece of art.

A double ten inch. I await my Kenneth.

I've a scattering of 10" in what amounts to the "collection" but I'm a CD devotee so I only tend to buy vinyl if there's no CD release or it's a particularly special release of some sort (and even in those instances I'm a bit loathed to fork out if they don't come with a download code).

• Like 2

On 12/05/2021 at 20:04, mjmooney said:

I have everything up to and including Wish You Were Here, nothing beyond - and I greatly prefer the pre-Dark Side of the Moon Era. Atom Heart Mother is actually my favourite. 

I've got all Floyd lps except the Greatest dance songs comp and that instrumental thing they put out about 5 years ago.

Wish You Were Here is by far their best (IMO) but I really do like The Wall too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

Dig this and praise the 12"!

I've got a few but not hundreds.

Sometimes the collector in one's self makes you buy multiple versions of a song you don't even like that much...on 12" ;)

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

also have an original copy of the best ever 10”

If it aint on On-U it isn't the best 10" ever :mrgreen:

I think half my 10" collection is On-U but I'm still missing loads of them, the On-U 10" Discoplates are pretty much all great, I have a good number still to go

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have between 10 and 20 10”s. Unsure what the thinking was as some if them werent released on its larger brother. 

There were some classic 10" though. Killing Joke - Follow the Leaders, Marc Almond & Bronski Beat - I Feel Love, Gerry Anderson's - No Strings attached and even a couple of years ago I bought one by Robyn Hitchcock and Andy Partidge which is great

1 hour ago, bickster said:

bought one by Robyn Hitchcock and Andy Partidge which is great

Anything involving Robyn Hitchcock gets my vote. Along with REM, The Soft Boys were my go to band of the mid 1980s. So I was pleased when I met Mike Mills and found he was also a big SBs fan. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Anything involving Robyn Hitchcock gets my vote. Along with REM, The Soft Boys were my go to band of the mid 1980s. So I was pleased when I met Mike Mills and found he was also a big SBs fan. 

Both Peter Buck and MIke Mills are Hitchcock fans both have played and recorded with him, sometimes together

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Both Peter Buck and MIke Mills are Hitchcock fans both have played and recorded with him, sometimes together

I know. That was later. When they toured the UK in '84 (I think you were involved, Bicks?) they still hadn't met him. Mills was seriously envious that I'd seen the Soft Boys live - but tickled that it had been on the very stage they were about to play on themselves (Leeds Warehouse). 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I know. That was later. When they toured the UK in '84 (I think you were involved, Bicks?) they still hadn't met him. Mills was seriously envious that I'd seen the Soft Boys live - but tickled that it had been on the very stage they were about to play on themselves (Leeds Warehouse). 

Did he play with them as part of the Bingo Hand Job secret gig. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wasn't involved in that 84 tour (Too big a band for me and too early) but I did go to quite a few gigs that year, I resat my A Levels that year so had quite a bit of free time and later it was my first year in Uni (So yes... ditto)

I remember there were two UK tours that year. May and November I think. I definitely saw them at the Tin Can Club in Brum and at the Royal Court in Liverpool (where I did later work), I think Rock City in Nottingham, The Marquee in London and somewhere in Manchester that I forget

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Did he play with them as part of the Bingo Hand Job secret gig. 

Yes, he did. Along with Billy Bragg and Peter Holsapple (of The dBs). I think there was a record day LP of it a couple of years ago. I just have an old bootleg cassette. 

• Like 1

I remember due to bragg, I think Hitchcock was part of one of Braggs backing bands at one point. The Blokes or perhaps not. I have this fantastic Bragg bootleg, excellent quality called Bigmouth Strikes Again and on that disc at least Hitchcock is part of his band. 

Â