VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I tried to go to the BHJ secret gig. I did a lot of installs at music companies around Soho way back in my IT days (  I’ve a funny feeling I was installing  a Mac at the Pet Shop boys management office and someone there  mentioned it !!) and went over to the Borderlines  to see if I could get in (nope).. 

• Like 1

Strange little venue the Borderline, I worked a couple of gigs there, the stage was tiny and it was the first place I ever encountered staff waking around selling shots (of tequila obviously given the setting), that idea took decades to reach the provinces

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Strange little venue the Borderline, I worked a couple of gigs there, the stage was tiny and it was the first place I ever encountered staff waking around selling shots (of tequila obviously given the setting), that idea took decades to reach the provinces

I hated the borderline whenever I was forced by an artist to a gig there. Thought it lacked atmosphere. One of if not my least favourite London venues. 

• Like 1

Quite liked the Borderline, though would agree the layout's a bit pants (and got even more squashed after the refurb for the sake of making the stage a bit bigger) but been to some great shows there (which admittedly might be giving me rose-tinted specs).  Always thought the Luminaire (RIP :unsure:) was the nicest venue, with maybe the Lexington a close second.

On 12/05/2021 at 23:40, chrisp65 said:

It’s Sarah Neufeld, violinist.

I’ve got “Hero Brother” that came out a fair few years ago, her first album. Recorded, I think in a multi storey car park (for the reverb). Her next one I gave a miss to, and the new one I’ve heard a track or two and may well get. But that first album is marvellous.

• Like 1

I watched this this afternoon. A trio of black brothers formed a band called Death in Detroit, thats Detroit, which musically for their community at the time was the home of Motown. They pre-date the Ramones by a good two years. It's an interesting yet tragic story of beiing discovered 30 odd years after they split up (and after David Hackney who wrote the lyrics had passed away)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I watched this this afternoon. A trio of black brothers formed a band called Death in Detroit, thats Detroit, which musically for their community at the time was the home of Motown. They pre-date the Ramones by a good two years. It's an interesting yet tragic story of beiing discovered 30 odd years after they split up (and after David Hackney who wrote the lyrics had passed away)

My wife is feeling that we are over due a **** smiths night but I will give this a listen tomorrow. 
i have know this girl since we were teenagers and she loved the smiths since then. i shrugged it off. More fool me. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

i have know this girl since we were teenagers and she loved the smiths since then. i shrugged it off. More fool me. 

There is nothing wrong with The Smiths but I'm not sure I'd want a whole one these days

On that subject what bands/singers have people pretended to like/feigned politeness about in order to not upset the apple cart? I guess this would only be towards someone in the early days of a relationship but there might be other situations where it’s easier to pretend.

I know I bought Razorlight’s second album as a gift for someone I really fancied at the time and later when she was telling me how every song could be a hit, I remember slightly gritting my teeth through the conversation.

It didn’t work out with me and her. And Razorlight had a quick fall from grace after their initial success, so there were no winners in the end.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

On that subject what bands/singers have people pretended to like/feigned politeness about in order to not upset the apple cart? I guess this would only be towards someone in the early days of a relationship but there might be other situations where it’s easier to pretend.

I know I bought Razorlight’s second album as a gift for someone I really fancied at the time and later when she was telling me how every song could be a hit, I remember slightly gritting my teeth through the conversation.

It didn’t work out with me and her. And Razorlight had a quick fall from grace after their initial success, so there were no winners in the end.

I bought a copy of Club Tropicana by Wham when it came out.

I figured I needed a record I could put on when I got a lady friend back to the old love palace.

It had a lot in common with the box of Durex I bought. In that I never broke the cellophane.

• Haha 2

Another long one, a 2 hour documentary on what it's like to do the toilet tour in the States. A lot of it I can relate to, some of the more US specific bits (like the  14 hour drives, f*** man Norwich is bad enough) not so

Features Steve Albini and a load of people you'll never have heard of. (There's a member of Sunn o)))) too ). I really don't expect anyone to actually watch this but for me some of it is very amusing

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Years ago I got chatting to a woman online who was a massive fan of a band I'd never heard of at the time - Arcade Fire. I played along agreeing saying they were brilliant. 

I went out and purchased the album (Funeral) the next day, without even knowing what they sounded like. Turns out it wasn't a bad album at all!

She turned out to a right mental case in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I need some country recommendations - all time classics. It's not really my genre, but I'm open to it.

Its a broad genre and fairly timeless. For me personally I would suggest red headed stranger/shotgun willie/pancho and lefty by Willie Nelson. Dreaming my dreams/ol waylon by Waylon Jennings. Live at Folsom/Sun recordings compilation by Johnny Cash. I’m a people by George Jones. 
Then moving on a little Dwight Yoakams, guitars, cadillacs etc etc. Miranda Lamberts Revolution. Alan Jackson, any album but his major label debut, here in the real world. Brad Paisley’s 5th Gear. Garth Brooks No Fences and finally Kacey Musgraves  same trailer, different park. 
I could go on but you might not like the big hat country of Alan Jackson or the outlaw country. If you listen to any of these and really like it I can base a ton of recommendations off the back of it. 
There is also sub genres of Americana, and of course bluegrass, Americana isnt really my thing but @mjmooney I am sure can assist. 

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I need some country recommendations - all time classics. It's not really my genre, but I'm open to it.

Always treat any country opinion on here as secondary and inferior to Mr Seat’s.

Having said that... asking for country recommendations must be similar to asking for ‘rock’ recommendations. Someone is going to offer you Argent and Badfinger, someone else is going to offer you Kiss and Aerosmith.

If it’s recognised classics, is it worth just picking up a few cheeses compilations and then picking from what you liked on there? Who knows, you might suddenly realise you want a Dolly Parton greatest hits album, or the Johnny Cash American series.

Never misunderestimate the compilation! They’re a great gateway.

image.jpeg

But having said all that... Waylon Jennings and / or John Prine for the win.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

Â