VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

48 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Quick one for the vinyl mob . Do you bother with first pressings or will anything kind of do when buying albums.   I know some first presses are too expensive, and some might not sound as good as later presses. You’ll also have instances where for example a bands uk press might not sound as good as the US or German first press. I’ve not got the greatest hearing in the world. Partly deaf in one ear, so sound quality doesn’t apply to me that much as I can never tell much difference.  As a collection first press is the way to go, but I’m not really doing it as a valuable collection, although some bands I’d like the early pressings. Is it worth spending the extra few quid. Any thoughts? 

The only two reasons I have first presses are either because I bought them when they were released or there was never a second press. I buy vinyl for the music. I'm really not bothered about it being the first version. Having said that, I have a lot of first presses because I tend to buy stuff when it is released but if I like an album that's on rerelease, I'll buy it. 

• Thanks 1

Definition of frustration: Earned a stack of cash last night with the intention to go into town today to buy some vinyl. Went to Probe, they've decided to shut on Sunday's, f*** it, I'll go spend a small part of my cash in HMV, shut while it relocates. Still have a pile of cash and no new vinyl. Day ruined!

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Definition of frustration: Earned a stack of cash last night with the intention to go into town today to buy some vinyl. Went to Probe, they've decided to shut on Sunday's, f*** it, I'll go spend a small part of my cash in HMV, shut while it relocates. Still have a pile of cash and no new vinyl. Day ruined!

I felt like that yesterday and it actually ruined my day and put me in a mood. 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@chrisp65 @bickster makes total sense. I’ve no desire to sell and they will be left to the kids who probably won’t understand the sentimental part of them. Some first pressings are cheap but a lot are more than I feel comfortable paying. 

Classic case of the old ‘when I die, I hope to **** they don’t sell them for the price I said I paid for them’.

As Bicks says, some of mine are first pressings or rare versions or whatever, but not through hunting them out, just through buying them when they’re released or pot luck. I’ve got a couple of rarities, I’ve got a limited release Lee Scratch Perry and the number on mine is 007. I’ve got a Super Furries record with the wrong colour on it because it was a test pressing. Probably the most expensive record I’ve got I was given, for free, because it was playing when I went in a shop and I said I liked it so could I buy a copy. Turned out, they were by some guy in Four Tet, and they were free to anyone that asked for a copy. All by chance.

I do use Discogs just out of general interest, but I’ve never stood in a shop with a smart phone and googled up a record. I either like it and want it, or I don’t.

I also like buying utter randoms, you never know when some £10 punt takes you off in a new direction.

Most are junk, but for every half a dozen disappointing

spacer.png 

there’s a gloriously interesting

spacer.png

• Like 1

With my age and the era which I’m mainly into, I missed the boat with first pressings. I did start my collection in the 90s when vinyl was dirt cheap but that got lost in an house fire and now I’m getting back into it, it’s popularity is sky high again . 

Got myself 4 albums online today. Something by Paul Kossoff , Early Jefferson Starship, an unauthorised black sabbath bootleg that features their John peel show in 1970 and their Bremen show 1970 with also some pre sabbath demos when  they were named Earth . Also got myself a smart looking King Crimson Japanese pressing from 1976. All supposedly in excellent condition and quite happy with what I paid. Pictures to follow in the album thread once they arrive. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Also got myself a smart looking King Crimson Japanese pressing from 1976. All supposedly in excellent condition and quite happy with what I paid. Pictures to follow in the album thread once they arrive. 

Who was the drummer on that; Michael Giles ? Bill Bruford ?

On 03/07/2021 at 17:58, Rugeley Villa said:

He played on some cracking albums they did. I think the Stones were great late 60s early 70s . Even Cream thought Zeppelin were unnecessarily heavy handed . 

I thought Cream spilt because Bruce kept on putting the volume up which annoyed Baker?

Most things seemed to annoy Ginger because he was a git. Great dreamer from the jazz mould though.

4 hours ago, osmark86 said:

speaking of, just finished listening to this beauty...

In the Court of the Crimson King - Wikipedia

That’s the one I’ve got on order. Japanese pressing and looks the dogs ********. It’s also a very good album. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thought Cream spilt because Bruce kept on putting the volume up which annoyed Baker?

Most things seemed to annoy Ginger because he was a git. Great dreamer from the jazz mould though.

Well it was Baker and Clapton who thought zep were too loud , so that makes sense .

Robert Fripp thought sabbath were great at what they did but he felt a bit underwhelmed regarding how menacing he thought they would be live performing Paranoid. He rates his own band king crimsons 21st century schizoid man as dark and as  heavy as anything sabbath released around that time. He also reckons it had a big influence on future metal bands. 

38 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Robert Fripp thought sabbath were great at what they did but he felt a bit underwhelmed regarding how menacing he thought they would be live performing Paranoid. He rates his own band king crimsons 21st century schizoid man as dark and as  heavy as anything sabbath released around that time. He also reckons it had a big influence on future metal bands. 

He was right. Although, amusingly, I remember quite a few heavy music fans at the time buying ITCOTCK on the strength of hearing Schizoid Man, and then being perplexed that the rest of the album was gentle pastoral sounding music. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He was right. Although, amusingly, I remember quite a few heavy music fans at the time buying ITCOTCK on the strength of hearing Schizoid Man, and then being perplexed that the rest of the album was gentle pastoral sounding music. 

There’s a few modern metal bands that cite King Crimson as an influence 

Â