VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

The Thom Yorke "2021 Remix" of Creep. I love Radiohead but just WHY? I really don't get why you'd do this. I get that its a sort of, if I wrote this song now, this is how I'd do it but You didn't write it now, you wrote it then. leave it alone man and write something for now

I really hope it's a one off and he's not going to revisit tracks from The Bends and giive them the same treatment. They are of a time, leave them there

7 hours ago, bickster said:

The Thom Yorke "2021 Remix" of Creep. I love Radiohead but just WHY? I really don't get why you'd do this. I get that its a sort of, if I wrote this song now, this is how I'd do it but You didn't write it now, you wrote it then. leave it alone man and write something for now

I really hope it's a one off and he's not going to revisit tracks from The Bends and giive them the same treatment. They are of a time, leave them there

It’s one of those YouTube trend things isn’t it? There’s loads of slowed down remixes of old songs out there, like playing a 45 at 33 and adding a few overlays or whatever. I thought it was just him messing around doing that.

I don’t like the gloomcore version either.

• Like 1

Donna Summer, I Feel Love, time stretched and slowed to last 45 minutes. That’s excellent, I play that every couple of months just as white out whilst I’m working if working involves thinking.

Other than that, get outta here.

Oh, the other exception to the rule, in that they never had any rules to begin with, Alabama 3 have recently put out another of their 4 hours of remixes of remixes. Here’s our country songs done dub, our techno stuff done country and our remixes of remixes of ideas that never made it as far as a CD. Keeps ‘em off the streets.

Irrespective of what you think of the song/music/genre just appreciate a drumming master at work. Doesn’t even look at the drums most of the time. RIP Joey. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

The in laws are watching boney m 30 greatest hits on TV, they're utter **** dogshit ain't they? 

As a side though what is keeping me amused he's a proper fiend, I had to try and explain the term "coke head" to them 

Abba 30 is up next but on too late, damn you TV scheduler you've got to put them the other way round 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The in laws are watching boney m 30 greatest hits on TV, they're utter **** dogshit ain't they? 

As a side though what is keeping me amused he's a proper fiend, I had to try and explain the term "coke head" to them 

Abba 30 is up next but on too late, damn you TV scheduler you've got to put them the other way round 

I may have said this before. LJMU Freshers Ball in Nation (Same club as Cream) I’m DJing in the main room. Bjorn Again have just finished their set at about 22:30, it’s me all the way through to 2am. This is the moment of no return, that first tune determines how the rest of the night goes.Either the punters stay or drift out. They are still cheering BA …. I know they aren’t coming back on … Brown Girl in the Ring by Boney M was my starter and the room just erupted. 

Such a great feeling. I love Boney M just for that.…. And find me a disco artist that wasn’t a coke fiend lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I may have said this before. LJMU Freshers Ball in Nation (Same club as Cream) I’m DJing in the main room. Bjorn Again have just finished their set at about 22:30, it’s me all the way through to 2am. This is the moment of no return, that first tune determines how the rest of the night goes.Either the punters stay or drift out. They are still cheering BA …. I know they aren’t coming back on … Brown Girl in the Ring by Boney M was my starter and the room just erupted. 

Such a great feeling. I love Boney M just for that.…. And find me a disco artist that wasn’t a coke fiend lol

You poor bastard. I never realised. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You poor bastard. I never realised. 

I most certainly wasn’t poor that night. I was rather well paid. I had various deals going on with both the club and the students union. I wasn’t just DJing, I was stage managing the gig parts of the event plus I got paid by the club for bringing the event in. 4 figures for basically a nights work.

As Sager and Stewart sang”We are all prostitutes… everyone has their price”

• Like 1

Just my annual monologue about HMV really.

I was in there earlier, just as somewhere to stand whilst others were cruising the aisles of Matalan.

The prices are bonkers, I headed towards a section that was ‘sale’ but the offer was 2 for £40 at which point I thought well whooping **** doo. So I’m then just having a general mooch, and records I know to be in the teens elsewhere, such as some John Prine that’s on my list… £27.99 that’s a tenner more expensive than a  small independent is asking.

But here’s the thing, whilst I’m stood there tut tutting that they want £25.99 for Kimono My House, a group of kids spot the 2 for £40 offer and after a few “wow”’s picked four albums between them to trot off to the counter and spend £80 between them.

I guess we need the HMV on the High Street selling stuff off at £40 for two, so the industry has enough momentum for the shops down the side streets to sell the same stuff for a few quid less. Part of me wants to tell the kids they could shop local and save money, part of me realises old blokes shouldn’t approach kids, part of me thinks cheers!

But yeah, if you missed out on Adele’s latest and if you’ve had trouble finding Best of Madonna, get yourselves over to HMV. There’s a sale on.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just my annual monologue about HMV really.

I was in there earlier, just as somewhere to stand whilst others were cruising the aisles of Matalan.

The prices are bonkers, I headed towards a section that was ‘sale’ but the offer was 2 for £40 at which point I thought well whooping **** doo. So I’m then just having a general mooch, and records I know to be in the teens elsewhere, such as some John Prine that’s on my list… £27.99 that’s a tenner more expensive than a  small independent is asking.

But here’s the thing, whilst I’m stood there tut tutting that they want £25.99 for Kimono My House, a group of kids spot the 2 for £40 offer and after a few “wow”’s picked four albums between them to trot off to the counter and spend £80 between them.

I guess we need the HMV on the High Street selling stuff off at £40 for two, so the industry has enough momentum for the shops down the side streets to sell the same stuff for a few quid less. Part of me wants to tell the kids they could shop local and save money, part of me realises old blokes shouldn’t approach kids, part of me thinks cheers!

But yeah, if you missed out on Adele’s latest and if you’ve had trouble finding Best of Madonna, get yourselves over to HMV. There’s a sale on.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion.

HMV serves two functions for me. Occasionally I can't find something elsewhere and HMV will have it and their silly price is still cheaper than buying online and paying the postage or the difference then becomes so small I'd rather have it now than wait. Then every now and again I'll find something and the price is out of kilter with the rest of their stock.

Prime example, last week I bought a double album (Gold Vinyl), career retrospective of Barry Adamson. £16.99. Not reduced, not a special offer, not in a bargain bin, that was the price. It's just odd, every now and again I'll find something at a sensible price

• Like 3

On the subject of music chain stores, do people generally have fond memories of “Our Price”? 

I bought a couple of things from there, but I remember thinking at the time the shop seemed tired. That would have been the late 90’s, so a few years before it’s ultimate demise.

I remember feeling more disappointed about “MVC” closing. It wasn’t amazing, but I regularly found myself strolling around their Wolverhampton branch, regular 5 (or 6) albums for £30 offers. A few work lunchtimes were spent trying to find one more album to round out a deal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

On the subject of music chain stores, do people generally have fond memories of “Our Price”? 

I bought a couple of things from there, but I remember thinking at the time the shop seemed tired. That would have been the late 90’s, so a few years before it’s ultimate demise.

I remember feeling more disappointed about “MVC” closing. It wasn’t amazing, but I regularly found myself strolling around their Wolverhampton branch, regular 5 (or 6) albums for £30 offers. A few work lunchtimes were spent trying to find one more album to round out a deal.

If you ever shopped at Telford Our Price or Virgin, chance that I served you. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If you ever shopped at Telford Our Price or Virgin, chance that I served you. 

Hmmm, I don’t think I remember the Our Price in Telford.

And, because obviously I’ve now got to tee this up…

<clears throat, ready to say it clearly>

…whereabouts was the Virgin in Telford?

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm, I don’t think I remember the Our Price in Telford.

And, because obviously I’ve now got to tee this up…

<clears throat, ready to say it clearly>

…whereabouts was the Virgin in Telford?

In Cheshire. Boom boom. 

So Our Price morphed into Virgin. Originally the Our Price in the 80s was to the left of Debenhams. Then it moved in the 90s to a larger premises and thats when I started working there. It was located opposite where Waterstones is. Our Price turned into Virgin and remained there until it closed. I used to work winters there until 1995 when I worked there full time till 1999. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

In Cheshire. Boom boom. 

So Our Price morphed into Virgin. Originally the Our Price in the 80s was to the left of Debenhams. Then it moved in the 90s to a larger premises and thats when I started working there. It was located opposite where Waterstones is. Our Price turned into Virgin and remained there until it closed. I used to work winters there until 1995 when I worked there full time till 1999. 

Yes! I do remember that store opposite Waterstones. Went in there a fair bit now that I think about it, the early 00’s in particular. I haven’t thought about that shop in a while.

We probably were in the same vicinity, yes. Again, passing time during a work lunch, flicking through the CD deals. A regular routine of HMV, Virgin, Waterstones…maybe go via the walk through bit in Asda on my way back to the office.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes! I do remember that store opposite Waterstones. Went in there a fair bit now that I think about it, the early 00’s in particular. I haven’t thought about that shop in a while.

We probably were in the same vicinity, yes. Again, passing time during a work lunch, flicking through the CD deals. A regular routine of HMV, Virgin, Waterstones…maybe go via the walk through bit in Asda on my way back to the office.

My routine that when I worked for EDS. 

• Like 1

Â