VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I used to buy NME religiously from 2000 to about 2005 then stopped. Along with FHM for the insightful articles. 

I used to put Mo Mowlems head on cut outs of Kelly Brook for my Thursday cleanse wanks. Nowadays my inspiration comes from any number of Bulgarian pop stars and Priti Patel's feet.

• Haha 2

I read NME every week until they went all in on the klaxons, that was the first time I picked up on the bias and didn't like it and then they drove it home to such an extent that I couldn't read it anymore 

Used to get Q magazine every holiday in a double pack with either empire or total film but it was a bit more mature for my tastes, would prefer rit now as it explores a lot of older stuff rather than chasing who the latest and greatest uni band are 

• Like 1

With Magazines I still subscribe to Metal Hammer and have for many years. To be honest not sure why more than a force of habit than anything. Still read the reviews mainly but the interviews etc. are to be honest the usual trope of "our best album ever", "we are the most hardcore" or something similar so tend to just skip over them unless something catches me on them. I also did have subscription to Terrorizer until it collapsed as well. 

I find Readly helpful just to get a bit of different perspective of other music. Metal Hammer is on there but I do prefer the hard copy version as feel actually read it rather than scan the magazines. Definitely would recommend Readly if you want to have a glance at magazines to see what you like though. For £8 or whatever it is a month, you do get A LOT of magazines/newspapers etc. 

Edited by cyrusr
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Doors using Buffalo Springfield's drums

Perhaps the Doors were the support band, or Densmore had his drums nicked? 

Edited by rjw63
Ridiculous typo thanks to Alf Garnett word autocorrect

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Perhaps the Doors were the support band, or Denmore had his drums nicked? 

Can't see The Doors supporting BS, The Doors were the house band at the Whiskey A Go Go before Buffalo Springfield (They were both discovered there), I think STills and Furay would have been chasing Neil Youngs Hearse down Sunset Boulevard around the time The Doors were the Whiskey house band

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Can't see The Doors supporting BS, The Doors were the house band at the Whiskey A Go Go before Buffalo Springfield (They were both discovered there), I think STills and Furay would have been chasing Neil Youngs Hearse down Sunset Boulevard around the time The Doors were the Whiskey house band

Well, you're wrong. 

On this date, February 22, 1967, a fund raiser for CAFF (Community Action for Fact and Freedom) was held at the Valley Music Theater in Woodland Hills, California featuring The Byrds (with South African trumpeter Hugh Masekala), Buffalo Springfield, Peter Paul & Mary, and The Doors at the bottom of the bill (using the Springfield's drums and amplifiers). 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, you're wrong. 

On this date, February 22, 1967, a fund raiser for CAFF (Community Action for Fact and Freedom) was held at the Valley Music Theater in Woodland Hills, California featuring The Byrds (with South African trumpeter Hugh Masekala), Buffalo Springfield, Peter Paul & Mary, and The Doors at the bottom of the bill (using the Springfield's drums and amplifiers). 

Hmm yes, I didn't realise Buffalo Springfield (The Album) predated The Doors (The Album) by about a month

And of course The Byrds were the ones that championed BS to get them the gig at the Whisky

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hmm yes, I didn't realise Buffalo Springfield (The Album) predated The Doors (The Album) by about a month

And it was all about singles at that point. "For What It's Worth" was climbing the charts (peaked at #7). While The Doors' "Break On Through" was signally failing to do likewise ("Light My Fire" would not be released as a single until April). 

• Like 1

This is perplexing. There is a female singer, she goes by a specific name that's not her own name, not connected to her name. She performs under the name of Dylan. 

That takes some willful shooting yourself in the foot to perform under a name that is synonymous with a specific performer. Just from a search perspective, you aren't going to make the top results, but this is where it gets a little more perplexing. "Dylan singer" does return her, almost at the top. I suspect she has an excellent SEO company working for her.

• Haha 1

Ahoy mates, I made this ambient melodic techno track with a large focus on general atmosphere. Couldn't exactly sleep very well last night so at least tried to be somewhat productive. Hope you dig!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

Epic Games have bought Bandcamp.

Someone want to make an educated guess whether this is good or bad?

Know nothing about EG here.

Everybody I know on Bandcamp is asking the same thing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xann said:

Epic Games have bought Bandcamp.

Someone want to make an educated guess whether this is good or bad?

Know nothing about EG here.

Whether Epic acquiring them is good or bad for Bandcamp and it's users, hard to say. Epic are very big - they make Fortnite, which is still massive, and they make one of the most popular and important game engines around, the Unreal Engine, which has recently started to push out into film and TV work. And they operate an online gaming marketplace that they've poured money into in an attempt to compete with the biggest name in that game, Valve's Steam. They recently have also got into a fight with Apple over in app purchases (they're pissed off that Apple don't allow in app purchases outside of their own methods and the associated 30% cut they cut)... Whatever they want Bandcamp for, they will pump money into it. 

A wider point, though, is the amount of consolidation in the digital sector at the moment is not good at all. We're seeing a handful of very, very, very big businesses buying up everything in the field that isn't nailed down. That ain't good. Microsoft recently, out of nowhere, bought Activision- Blizzard, a huge games publisher, for $70bn. Epic are a rung below that kind of might, but they have designs on getting there and they're not far off. As such, buying Bandcamp might be a simple case of getting it because they can, or it might be an opening salvo in them moving into ever wider fields, to get on the level of the giant tech businesses.

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A wider point, though, is the amount of consolidation in the digital sector at the moment is not good at all. We're seeing a handful of very, very, very big businesses buying up everything in the field that isn't nailed down.

The amorphous swarm of content producers for Bandcamp will be difficult to nail down, Chinders.

Too cutthroat and artists will decide to move on. They're not beholden to a third party engine or proprietary license to create tunes.

The question really is, will Bandcamp die now because the people that breathe life into it won't want anything to do with it?

Â