VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Went in to town to get my hair cut, big queue in there and only one guy cutting so I thought I'd pop in to the record shop with the big sign of "new second hand stock" 

I'm now having to explain to the wife why I was gone 2 hours, didn't get my hair cut and who Smokey Robinson is 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm now having to explain to the wife why I was gone 2 hours, didn't get my hair cut and who Smokey Robinson is 

She didn't already know? I'd have thought she'd have hear... Get me coat

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

She didn't already know? I'd have thought she'd have hear... Get me coat

As a side, no not at all, motown, soul music or just black American music in general from my experience here is really lacking, to her parents black music is boney m, then the radio doesn't seem to cover it much and then from what I've seen there's really no club night that plays that kind of music so I'm guessing weddings and family parties are out too

By comparison I grew up with it, from my mom's car, to working with my dad and his love of heart FM, to nights out in "cheesy" rooms where because I don't like dance music I used to actively seek out motown and soul alternatives, my mates band has opened with get ready for about 5 years 

Even like tears of a clown, she's never heard it before, it's mad at times 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As a side, no not at all, motown, soul music or just black American music in general from my experience here is really lacking, to her parents black music is boney m, then the radio doesn't seem to cover it much and then from what I've seen there's really no club night that plays that kind of music so I'm guessing weddings and family parties are out too

By comparison I grew up with it, from my mom's car, to working with my dad and his love of heart FM, to nights out in "cheesy" rooms where because I don't like dance music I used to actively seek out motown and soul alternatives, my mates band has opened with get ready for about 5 years 

Even like tears of a clown, she's never heard it before, it's mad at times 

Way back a million years when I was going to Germany for summer holidays, staying on RAF camps, I seam to remember something similar.

The radio was German stuff, or Elvis on the American Forces radio, or current UK pop. I mean, that’s a memory from 40 years ago so it could be a little off!

But I remember rummaging around shops and whilst they had The Specials with German sleeves, they didn’t appear to have any actual ska or soul as reference material. I remember thinking how would they know what the Specials were, if they didn’t have The Maytals.

I remember the NAAFI being particularly poor. Like @Rugeley Villa had been sent back in time and had to do the stock purchasing. When I say poor, I mean, if you were after some Jethro Tull or Genesis, or fancied Nena’s Neun Und Neunzig Luftballoons, you were in **** clover.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Way back a million years when I was going to Germany for summer holidays, staying on RAF camps, I seam to remember something similar.

Also way back then 40 years ago ish, I used to go to a lot of US bases in Yurp - Iceland, Italy, Spain etc. And their equivalent of the NAAFI shops BXs were brilliant for music - not just motown stuff, which isn't my thing, but kind of American college radio bands that I couldn't get in the UK (in Cornwall at the time) - early REM, Guadalcanal Diary, Pylon... and all dirt cheap.

• Like 1

I’ll tell you what they did have a lot of over there. Cycle jerseys.

And not this modern man made sports material tut either. Proper gear, like the worlds brightest tightest zip up knitted cardigans.

Bought loads of them.

9:30pm coolest guy on the dance floor. 9:40pm absolutely stinking.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The radio was German stuff, or Elvis on the American Forces radio, or current UK pop. I mean, that’s a memory from 40 years ago so it could be a little off!

But I remember rummaging around shops and whilst they had The Specials with German sleeves, they didn’t appear to have any actual ska or soul as reference material. I remember thinking how would they know what the Specials were, if they didn’t have The Maytals.

I remember the NAAFI being particularly poor. Like @Rugeley Villa had been sent back in time and had to do the stock purchasing. When I say poor, I mean, if you were after some Jethro Tull or Genesis, or fancied Nena’s Neun Und Neunzig Luftballoons, you were in **** clover.

From my mom's record collection it seems Bay city rollers were also very much available at the NAAFI

She was at gutersloh, maybe I'll ask her, she's on the poppier edge of it, almost like me where thinking back I'd have started with Michael Jackson then Jackson 5 then worked my way in from there slowly

My dad could probably talk a glass eye to sleep on why philly sound is better than motown, he's really in to it and used to send stuff over to her 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I remember thinking how would they know what the Specials were, if they didn’t have The Maytals. 

Why would they need to? You can like a band without having the faintest idea of where they got their influences from. Most people of my age thought The Beatles wrote 'Twist and Shout'. In fact I'd say that those who DO know the originators are less likely to like the copyists. I'm no reggae fan, but I loved Toots, and thought The Specials were shit. 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'd say that those who DO know the originators are less likely to like the copyists

I guess it's often the first version you hear which is the one you view as "that's the song" with others, whether an earlier original or later cover being "not as good". Certainly that's the case with me. There aren't many where I've gone back to the original, having not been aware of it, and thought "wow, that's even better than the version I first heard" - I'd say fewer times than me hearing a new cover of a song I knew and finding it better than the original, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why would they need to? You can like a band without having the faintest idea of where they got their influences from. Most people of my age thought The Beatles wrote 'Twist and Shout'. In fact I'd say that those who DO know the originators are less likely to like the copyists. I'm no reggae fan, but I loved Toots, and thought The Specials were shit. 

Well older me wouldn’t be overly worried and wouldn’t be the zealot I once was. So, in hindsight they wouldn’t need to.

But teenage me was thoroughly unimpressed with the musical offerings of 1982 Kaiserslautern.

That I now spend a fortune buying compilations of old Kraut Rock and Electronica is irrelevant!

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

My local used record store has shuttered. 😑

Not that it was any good, but still. A symbolic loss.

They can't stop opening over here, it's rare they shut down these days, though we did lose one during the pandemic but tbh it was shit, in a stupid location and the fella that ran it was an idiot. He was always an idiot, even back in the day, he was the bloke you used to avoid speaking to at gigs, that would then catch you out when you weren't paying attention and you'd end up having to talk to him. The sort of fella that made you pretend to be desperate for as piss

I heard about his shop and was planning a visit and then I saw a few YouTubes of little gigs in the shop by local bands, realised who owned it and never went because he might just remember me

Facebook link

Here's an amazing scale model of Spillers Records. 

Here are some words from Angie who made this wonderful model of Spillers. 

The model was part of a piece of work I made for my fine art foundation four years ago about my memories of the places I hung out in my teenage years. The other places were Woodham's railway graveyard (when I was 13) and working at Barry Island Fairground (when I was 14). Spillers was my hangout from 15 years old. I displayed the three dioramas in boxes and was so excited when it won me the top award.

As a teenager in the early 1980s there was no instant gratification and everything had to be longed for and saved for. There was no social media, no Internet and only three boring TV stations. There were no DVDs, Playstations or Xboxes, and no mobile phones (we’d have to find a working phone box to phone home). The Sony Walkman, my generation’s equivalent to the iPod, came along and changed the way we listened to our recordings of our music on the move.

The Cardiff music scene was vibrant and eclectic in the early 80s with a mix pop, heavy rock, reggae, ska, punk and rhythm and blues belting out from the bars and clubs. I spent all my free time and money in Spillers from 15 onwards. It was a treasure trove of musical discovery and staff promoted the underground scene going by selling gig tickets, displaying posters, and handing out flyers.
Sharing music with my friends was what bonded us – music defined us. Spillers was cool, independent and antiestablishment – the perfect place to explore and discover who we were. Many times I’d walk into Spillers planning to buy one thing, only to be so thunderstruck by what staff were playing in the shop that I’d have to buy that instead.
The Cure, Joni Mitchell, Talking Heads, The Undertones, Boomtown Rats, Rush, Joy Division … there was a visceral pleasure in flicking through all that vinyl and completely losing track of time. Chatting to staff and customers about music, anticipating the new releases and rushing in to collect the long awaited new record from our favourite bands was half the fun.

I've dismantled the other models, but I keep a piece of the Spillers model at home as I still have a soft spot for it. 

FB_IMG_1649091258473.jpg

• Like 3

That’s the Spillers I remember, when Ashli’s dad, Nick, was running the show holding court from behind his counter. It felt like a rite of passage plucking up enough courage to go in, then hanging around often enough to be recognised, then being included in the rolling conversations. I’d imagine its very similar to today with i-tunes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could easily go in the TTPYO topic but anyway.

Just listening to 6Music and Nemone is in for Lamaq, she's playing the new single from Elizabeth Fraser.

She announces it as a "collaboration" between Elizabeth Fraser and "former Bunnyman" Damon Reece, now on the surface both of those facts are true but...

• Should it really be called a called a collaboration? Damon is her partner, they have a child together and have been together for years
  • Damon was a Bunnyman, on Reverberation, their least popular and only album without Mac on vocals. Damon also happened to be in Spititualised up to and including that unheard of album "Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating in Space." He's also been Massive Attack's live and studio drummer for years and worked with Goldfrapp and The KLF all of which are more noteworthy than his time in the Bunnymen
  • It's also not a collaboration because it's their band, they are called Sun's Signature and there was absolutely no mention of that

Nearly cut myself shaving because of that.

• Haha 1

Â