VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Oop. Cat's out the bag.

This is sort of likely to happen quite a lot, no? :)

My usual dealer wouldn’t ever bother with anything as grubby as a receipt.

When Spillers was lockdown closed, they would just put a compliment slip in with a record and a little drawing of a smiley face.

(she knows my game, on the weekend we both agreed we needed to sort out extra shelving and storage for the books and records neither of us have been buying)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 20/01/2022 at 10:54, chrisp65 said:

Aaaargh, if only those cars were a little more in focus.

One car does look quite small, which rules out America, as in 1972, most cars were 20ft long! It wasn't until the oil crisis the following year that they started considering anything less than a V8! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

When Spillers was lockdown closed, they would just put a compliment slip in with a record and a little drawing of a smiley face.

Action records do that too. Just a complements slip with "Thanks" and Gordon's initials/sig.

I could be doing him a disservice, I mean maybe there's a receipt included too, but I never fish it out of the cardboard, in my frenzy to get to the Record/CD 

• Like 1

Interesting article how a casio preset rhythm became the basis for a large number of reggae tunes. 

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-topics/g02027/okuda-hiroko-the-casio-employee-behind-the-sleng-teng-riddim-that-revolutionized-reggae.html

The “Sleng Teng” riddim revolutionized reggae music in the mid-1980s, and has spawned hundreds of versions in the decades since then. Less well known is the story of how the distinctive bassline originated in a preset sample included on a Casio electronic keyboard and the work of a young developer fresh out of college

The entire article is worth a read. 

Edited by Seat68
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

Somewhere out the garage, I have two different 3CD collections, that are basically that YouTube sample with words shouted over the top. Mostly words about chopping up your enemies or putting your thing in a ladies thing.

Decided that the shelves for my LPs I had a man fit due to me being a lesser man are close to breaking and instead going down the IKEA Kallax route, to be picked up tonight. I therefore felt it was a good time to get them in alphabeticised piles. A good idea it seemed but it's a shelf in and the shine has worn off that good idea. 

The positive of all of this is at some point that elusive Blue Monday 12" has to turn up. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The positive of all of this is at some point that elusive Blue Monday 12" has to turn up. 

It was you losing your copy that led me to discovering after all these years since it came out, that mine has the labels on the wrong sides. I don't know how I'd managed to never notice that before. I guess I must have just instinctively thought I'd just put it on the wrong way up each time I played it. I'd be interested to know if they're all wrongly labelled, or if mine is just a random aberration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It was you losing your copy that led me to discovering after all these years since it came out, that mine has the labels on the wrong sides. I don't know how I'd managed to never notice that before. I guess I must have just instinctively thought I'd just put it on the wrong way up each time I played it. I'd be interested to know if they're all wrongly labelled, or if mine is just a random aberration.

I had a quick look on Discogs, there are 25 different UK versions released in 1983 alone. None of them mention mislabelling but if one is mislabelled its absolutely guaranteed more than one will be and it should have a different entry

I found my copy of The Freshies "I'm in Love with a girl .... Megastore checkout desk" plays the second "Certain" version but is labelled for the "Virgin" version (Virgin threatened legal action), a few more have been found since but not many so that had to have a new version

WIth The Freshies its a bit of a curio but with New Order's Blue Monday, expect a bunfight (as in don't bother)

• Thanks 1

Well I am resigned to the fact I now no longer own Blue Monday by New Order. Do I want to buy it again? I can stream it. It's irritating to say the least but I feel a look at discogs for a version might be needed. 

Tried to buy some Faust today @Xann 

Went to that Action Records in Preston that had it listed on their website. Well, I couldn’t **** find it due to the car crash combination of ramming so many records in to the racks that they couldn’t be browsed, and there being no obvious filing system. There were bits n bobs of alphabetised racks, but they wouldn’t run through the whole alphabet and would then switch to ‘Metal’ or ‘Indie’, but those sections not in any sort of order.

So I gave up and asked the guys behind the counter. They were quite confident they did have some, but they couldn’t find it either.

But no matter… I went old school 90’s kid and bought some CD’s

spacer.png

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone has started listening to Tom Ravenscroft’s new Sunday show, where he and a guest explore his dad's record collection. Its a great idea and could be interesting…

Anyway, the trailer for this weeks show was on earlier, I forget who the guest actually is and they’ve got a clip of her saying… “Oh wow, this one looks like it might even be a promo copy…” In John Peel's record collection, a bleeding promo copy, no, how on earth did he get that? 

Puts me off listening to it this week

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Went to that Action Records in Preston that had it listed on their website. Well, I couldn’t **** find it due to the car crash combination of ramming so many records in to the racks that they couldn’t be browsed, and there being no obvious filing system.

My technique, and you’re right, is to ignore the racks and just ask Gordon for what I want. Tbh though, mostly I’ve done internet past 2 years. Artists own gubbins, bandcamp and Action/ Piccadilly records

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

I don't know if anyone has started listening to Tom Ravenscroft’s new Sunday show, where he and a guest explore his dad's record collection. Its a great idea and could be interesting…

Anyway, the trailer for this weeks show was on earlier, I forget who the guest actually is and they’ve got a clip of her saying… “Oh wow, this one looks like it might even be a promo copy…” In John Peel's record collection, a bleeding promo copy, no, how on earth did he get that? 

Puts me off listening to it this week

I was going to listen to it as it would be an interesting listen, then I realised although I like Tom, I dislike the guests. 

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Tried to buy some Faust today @Xann

For me 'The Tapes' and IV are the best and 'So Far' is brilliant too.

They have the full compliment of nutters including Rudolf Sosna, who penned some of the really beautiful, delicate stuff.

This is what lifts Faust to the top of the pile, the dynamic between screaming madness and sublime sweetness.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It was ‘Just Us’ that they had but couldn’t find.

They did have a copy of ‘Fish’ but at £40 that was never going to happen.

Don't know them, they're 30 years after peak Faust. Give them a go on t'web first.

Â