VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How to discover music I didn't know about? 

1970s: 

1. Reviews in print music weeklies (Melody Maker, NME, Disc & Music Echo, Sounds) and monthlies (ZigZag) 

2. Chance hearings on Radio 1 (John Peel, Bob Harris, etc.) 

3. Word of mouth from friends 

2020s: 

1. Reviews in music monthlies on Readly (Mojo, Uncut, Shindig! etc.)

2. Rabbit hole chasing on Spotify 

3. Word of mouth from friends 

That looks about right, but your Spotify is my Twitter.

Happily, I’ve always had a 4. where the record shop occasionally decides I’d like something and either tells me to buy it or gives me a freebie or invites me to an in store.

From Christopher’s Records which you could see down the hill from where I was paid cash out of the till on my Saturday job. I’d go in there and we’d read down the big book of new releases and he’d order me something he’d think I’d like!! To the more recent (last 40 years) Spillers where they’ll tip me off about something every now and again.

Would you say there's a shift in TV using music clips leading to you discovering new music? 

I would say that's a large part of how my wife discovers "new" English music and I'm guessing that's a relatively modern thing, top of the pops etc has died off but a 20 second clip of foals playing my number during a murder mystery drama on Netflix, its super easy to Google TV episode soundtracks and pick songs off shows 

I've stopped chasing new so the reviews etc don't help me but I am still chasing old and it comes from some very weird places, Noel Gallagher in an interview with Jools shouted out a wings song, a podcast might suggest a certain Dylan song influenced a certain beatles song that kind of thing 

I'd say I'm down to maybe 1% of anything new I find is from the radio or thanks to Covid on a shop radio 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Until I’m pointed elsewhere, Bandcamp certainly appears to be the ‘least bad’ at present. 

Agreed.

Really like Misha Panfilov and would have bought 'En Route', but no CD :(

There's a couple of his tunes on here on VT.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Happily, I’ve always had a 4. where the record shop occasionally decides I’d like something and either tells me to buy it or gives me a freebie or invites me to an in store.

From Christopher’s Records which you could see down the hill from where I was paid cash out of the till on my Saturday job. I’d go in there and we’d read down the big book of new releases and he’d order me something he’d think I’d like!! To the more recent (last 40 years) Spillers where they’ll tip me off about something every now and again.

Yeah, I had that too, back in the days when I used local record shops. Those days (along with the shops) are long gone for me. 

Funnily enough, one of said shop proprietors used to front a local pub band that I would see regularly, and I've recently bumped into him again - fronting a different pub band. He actually remembered me as a regular customer. Which is nice. 

This is him - Mister Dodo Bones (Dave Foster to his friends): 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Would you say there's a shift in TV using music clips leading to you discovering new music? 

I would say that's a large part of how my wife discovers "new" English music and I'm guessing that's a relatively modern thing, top of the pops etc has died off but a 20 second clip of foals playing my number during a murder mystery drama on Netflix, its super easy to Google TV episode soundtracks and pick songs off shows 

I've stopped chasing new so the reviews etc don't help me but I am still chasing old and it comes from some very weird places, Noel Gallagher in an interview with Jools shouted out a wings song, a podcast might suggest a certain Dylan song influenced a certain beatles song that kind of thing 

I'd say I'm down to maybe 1% of anything new I find is from the radio or thanks to Covid on a shop radio 

Radio listening is fairly rare for me, but the good thing about dab is you’ll see the artist and title, so I will grab a quick picture or the scrolling info to remind myself later to go have a look.

TV, not so much, I don’t think I watch much TV really, I’ll watch a bit of the news, Newsnight, then late night channel surfing down to something like Bangers and Cash, which isn’t really using a lot of ambient or dub in it’s edit.

I try to buy new stuff, just to keep it interesting and not close down the field of ‘what I like’. Plenty of time for that when I’m too old to get out and about. I don’t want to get stuck just trying to have the world’s best collection of 80’s stuff.

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Little bit of Super Furries on the 2022 Record Store Day list, so I’ve put my wish list in to Santa and fingers crossed I get lucky.

Not looked at the full list but I think there’s a new Gojira live album amongst the list which is tempting.

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Not looked at the full list but I think there’s a new Gojira live album amongst the list which is tempting.

Yeah, I’m not the worlds biggest fan of live albums - unless I was there! Which is a rare slither of the space on a Venn diagram.

It’s the prices of RSD stuff that usually put me off, when with a bit of nerve and a bit of luck you can pick them up half price 12 months later.

I did spot some more Alpha & Omega albums, but as previous, they’ve issued it as two separate albums which probably means it’s adding up to £50 plus, and then you add up the actual minutes of music and it could have been put on 3 sides.

I’ll try and get the SFA because there are tunes on there I really like, but there wasn’t an awful lot on that list for me. I’m too tight, I like finding the £12.99 stuff.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I’m not the worlds biggest fan of live albums - unless I was there! Which is a rare slither of the space on a Venn diagram.

It’s the prices of RSD stuff that usually put me off, when with a bit of nerve and a bit of luck you can pick them up half price 12 months later.

I did spot some more Alpha & Omega albums, but as previous, they’ve issued it as two separate albums which probably means it’s adding up to £50 plus, and then you add up the actual minutes of music and it could have been put on 3 sides.

I’ll try and get the SFA because there are tunes on there I really like, but there wasn’t an awful lot on that list for me. I’m too tight, I like finding the £12.99 stuff.

Yeah I agree on live albums, I don't tend to like them as much as the original recordings. Struggling to recall a proper good live album that I would listen to instead of the studio albums but the only one that really comes to mind is The Ramones "We're Outta Here" just because of getting loads of others involved such as Lemmy etc. 

Not really been tempted by RSD for a long while, to be honest more of a lack of anything good. The last good record I got was Iron Maiden's single of Empire of the Clouds (18 minutes long though) which had a b-side of the background to the song which was really good to be honest and I really like the song so was pleased to get that. 

I agree on the prices though, absolutely ridiculous. I remember getting a Sunn O))) record that came to about £25-30 and was, fine, I suppose but it wasn't worth that price that is for sure. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not the worlds biggest fan of live albums - unless I was there! 

Don't think I have any official live albums of gigs I was at. Do have a few bootlegs that I'm 'on', though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't think I have any official live albums of gigs I was at. Do have a few bootlegs that I'm 'on', though. 

spacer.png

Knowing what was happening on stage every time there is an apparently out of sync cheer from the audience.

I’ve also got one from a band called The Truth where they did the gig in the evening and had the record for sale 48 hours later, but trouble was, because everyone knew that, we were all trying to shout stuff that we could then hear on the record. You couldn’t as it happens, but it did ensure a raucous evening.

As it happens, The Truth used to be Nine Below Zero, and they did issue the best live album of all time, but I wasn’t there.

There's a few things of minor interest on that RSD list but nothing I'd be busting a gut to get

Biff, Bang Pow, The Sound , The Soul Jazz Compilations, Future Sound of London, Wire but as some of those don't actually tell you the full details yet I wouldn't know

Definitely a list of pick them up if I come across them but nothing I'd even ask Probe to *cough* save *cough* for me

I feature on Mary Prankster at the Ottobar film and the live album. In as much she talks to me from the stage and my fat head is featured in a lot of the footage. It's one of the few live albums I own. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

i always thought live albums were a bit like greatest hits where the band just chucked them out to try and fulfill a contract obligation rather than give the label they want to leave new material (noel gallagher said that in an interview and it made sense to me, its why stop the clock and time flies both exist)

i had red hot chili peppers at hyde park on CD which annoyingly isnt on spotify

artic monekys at royal albert hall which i think the back of my head is on the photo inside - but is a perfect example as to why live albums arent always that good, it just doesnt sound right, definitley doesnt sound loud enough

i was there when coldplay filmed the fix you video at boltons stadium which i did as part of a weekend of big gigs but i wasnt at the city of manchester stadium for oasis filming their gig there, i did the other night 

on live albums and RSD live on the riverboat is coming but its under simon and oscar and not ocean colour scene so im hoping thats available, other than that its a quiet year for me and i probably wont bother, i only go for things that dont exist other than the RSD release, joe strummer usually has a special release but nothing this year, ocean colour scene and nas were both doing previously unreleased on vinyl 

I have very very few live albums for similar reasons that others have stated

I sort of had one of the recent Can live releases on the list I gave to the missus at xmas, then I heard a track and told her to scrub that one from the list

It was getting rave reviews, heard a track and yep, it's a live album

The Who Live at Leeds has a lot to answer for. It's the main reason I chose Leeds University - hence living here, hence meeting my missus, hence the existence of my kids and grandkids. 

Thank **** they didn't release the Hull gig, as originally planned. 

I have a few live albums and a few bootleg recordings which I never listen to, certainly not in their entirety. 

These days I’m more likely to listen to a live version of a particular song on YouTube. Sometimes it’s nice to hear an alternative to the studio recording, it’s a bit refreshing. 

As for how I hear new music (new to me, anyway), it can vary, but nothing really that hasn’t been suggested before. Through a song being used on television, a band is referenced in an interview that piques my interest, watching something on YouTube and a song I’m not familiar with is suggested. Easily my favourite way is sitting in a pub or wherever, music playing in the background and something comes on that either catches my ear for the first time, or I know but I can’t place. A quick Shazam check and when I see who it is I make a mental note to give them a proper listen later on.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

Â