Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man United

limpid

Match Polls  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/21 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

They are the same for me. Shouldn't be enough for a pen in either case. On the current rules we should have had 2 pens today. 

Pogba was a stonewall penalty. Hell, it was almost 2 penalties as he tried to foul him a second before. 

I thought the VAR handball was a decent shout for us and you know it'd have been given the other way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Beaten by a better side.  The ref stuff was annoying, but it didn't change the result.

but I still think there is an element in our play, that encourages them to be better.

They just do enough to win....they know how to win and how close down to disrupt, without getting cards, they are streetwise....they double up, like good teams do.....they work off the ball, better than us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Pogba was a stonewall penalty. Hell, it was almost 2 penalties as he tried to foul him a second before. 

I thought the VAR handball was a decent shout for us and you know it'd have been given the other way. 

But how can that be a pen and the Sterling one yesterday isn't? 

VAR has brought no consistently to decisions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but I still think there is an element in our play, that encourages them to be better.

They just do enough to win....they know how to win and how close down to disrupt, without getting cards, they are streetwise....they double up, like good teams do.....they work off the ball, better than us.

Its almost as if they are one of the biggest, richest clubs in the world and we are in a rebuilding process following promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

I don't know as I don't watch Man City games but that was a clear foul on Pogba and there can be absolutely no complaints about that one. 

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Both are penalties. The difference is they won’t overturn a decision. If the Sterling penalty is given, VAR doesn’t overturn it. 

Bizarre really. I absolutely hate VAR. I don’t want it in the game. At all. Whatsoever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m genuinely at the point now where I see it as a 36 game season. Certainly to watch and enjoy. 

I hate this fixture. I text anyone and everyone that there were two certainties in today’s game. United were going to win and they’d get a penalty. It’s just so, so predictable almost to the point where it’s kind of surreal. 

We can’t beat them. Yes, they’re a better team than us and you’d expect them to beat us most times we played them but our record against them must be a statisticians dream. Surely there is no other club in Europe with a worse record against one specific team? 

Wont be watching this fixture next season. I’ve just had enough of it. We didn’t even play that badly today but we will always lose it. Always. Always. Always. 

I didn't think they were a better team thanks today. Just that we were beaten psychotically before a ball was kicked. We stood off them massively and allowed far too much respect and possession. We always do against them. They are a team that in all my time watching Villa are bemused at their dominance against us as I just see more a Villa side accepting of defeat rather than a Manure team sominat for victory. We always play lacklustre games against them that frustrates me as you can tell we should take the game to them but instead just sit off and allow them dominance. This is an average at best Manure side. We were gutless and lacking fire on our bellies today. We needed intent and purpose yet didnt have that especially second half. It was containment when that has hardly worked under Smith. Sorry Deano but got it horribly wrong today against a very poor Man U side. Second place shows more how average the league is this season rather than how falsely good manure are. Piss poor side that we made look better than they are

Just now, One For The Road said:

Its almost as if they are one of the biggest, richest clubs in the world and we are in a rebuilding process following promotion.

They had McTominay, Fred and Matic on the bench, for their centre Midfield pivot....... if we sign players to do that job, I will agree with you.....I will wait and see on that.

We are WIP but we have to demonstrate in this window, that we can not only build a squad, but we have the nous to put balance in to the team too......We surrendered midfield today, for significant periods.

They have drawn 10 and lost 4 this season....couldn't we be one of them?......Those teams who have took points off them don't wallow in that narrative.

you will be saying that, for the next 20 years or so, if we keep this up.

I am not annoyed with the result, I predicted it, just annoyed its so bloody predictable, I wanted to be wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Nail on the head for me

All I can do is laugh at the fact that it was so utterly predictable 

and thats it in a nutshell.....I told my mate at half time....they would win.

It's the  64 million dollar question is......are we going to keep doing this with them? its how long now?

I don't think it takes football experts to see why.....We scored a worldie to go in front, but we can't control games.

We haven't got the players, to control games.... we have pleasant moments in a game and just use that to try and capitalise.

my question is.....Is there any likely hood this summer, that we will sign players, who can help us control games?

We can score goals, but we are currently a draw one, win one, lose one, team.

The midfield just backs off and leaves the defence to challenge for the ball, (and that has mixed responses), against these teams , what comes next in a game is predictable.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Both are penalties. The difference is they won’t overturn a decision. If the Sterling penalty is given, VAR doesn’t overturn it. 

Bizarre really. I absolutely hate VAR. I don’t want it in the game. At all. Whatsoever. 

The Premier League messed up VAR before it started when they brought in the 'clear and obvious' bit. Meant that VAR wasn't there to get the right decision. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Death, taxes, James Cordon being annoying, home defeat to Manchester United.

Will never change. Ever.

Not unless, we change it.

Stupid foul by Luiz, especially after the same thing happening at Old Trafford.

Then we lost our heads and conceded again straight away.

Felt we deserved the lead at HT but once again we’ve found a way to gift them a route back into a game. So frustrating.

As for the ref... tell me that Greenwood handball is any different to Cash at Man City?! The sending off for Ollie is absolutely outrageous too. First yellow was harsh for a mistimed challenge when they’d committed 10 fouls by that point and gone without cards. The second one is just a joke. Not a penalty but never a dive either! 

Voted Traore motm fwiw. Great goal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chappy said:

Stupid foul by Luiz, especially after the same thing happening at Old Trafford.

Then we lost our heads and conceded again straight away.

Felt we deserved the lead at HT but once again we’ve found a way to gift them a route back into a game. So frustrating.

As for the ref... tell me that Greenwood handball is any different to Cash at Man City?! The sending off for Ollie is absolutely outrageous too. First yellow was harsh for a mistimed challenge when they’d committed 10 fouls by that point and gone without cards. The second one is just a joke. Not a penalty but never a dive either! 

Voted Traore motm fwiw. Great goal.

I'm sorry I agree with all your post bar being never a penalty 

That is a penalty everyday of the week in the Times we are in 

If there is contact it is a pen (I don't think this should the way but it is) there was a much contact for pogbas pen 

If that was rashford at the other end it would be a pen 

I don't know if the refs are being bought or it's psychological but something not right it's happened to many times to be a coincidence 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, One For The Road said:

They are 2nd in the league, have been competing in the upper echelons of the Premier League continually since its inception and have a far more expensive squad than we have for that reason.

We got promoted 2 seasons ago and have made great strides, but we are in a rebuilding phase at the moment and will be for another season or 2 at least.

They brought Cavani off the bench. We brought on Davis.

It's not wallowing in a narrative to say that we are going to struggle against top sides as we rebuild and especially without our captain and star player. 

That you laughed at my post stating that we are at different levels in our clubs developments just shows how out of sync with reality you are. You really think we should be on a level playing field with Manchester United this season? 

We gave it a go, but they are better. We will improve. As we have done massively in every single way since Smith took over. 

We have beaten Liverpool, Arsenal twice and Everton this season. That's impressive.

If we are going to beat everyone then we will be champions and that's just not realistic at all at this stage is it?

but we are not talking about everyone, else, else you would be right.....We are talking about Man Utd, who have been a force for as long as I can Remember......but despite your reasoned description of them, they have struggled to hold down Managers since SAF left, due to indifferent form, sure they set the bar higher than us, so I guess that is relative.....They are beatable, with the right approach.

I remember a time we give Man U a right old game.....Andy Gray had just joined and he give them a right old battering, with his swashbuckling style, they didn't know what had hit them, he was 19 years old and his only experience was in the scottish league....He had couarge, determination and belief in himself at that tender age....no bowing to superior players, from him....He just took the game to them and they floundered.

We wallow in too many excuses.....we are not ready yet, granted....but if we don't sign the right character of player, we never will be......We need to be slick at getting the right ones in.

We lose to Man Utd, regularly for a reason, probably one of the best teams to benchmark for our solutions.....and we need to search for it, sure referee's are biased towards them, but we could help ourselves with that too, by staying on the front foot for longer and getting our foot in on them a bit quicker and smarter.

We was actually winning this game by the way, but if we concede the initiative of the game so easily, is it any wonder, things go against us. Oh and why did Leeds beat Spurs so emphatically,the other day, when they have just come up and spurs having a superior side with Harry Kane and all......that defeatest line needs to be filed in the bin, where it belongs.

We need to bring in some players in the summer, who can take a game to teams, control them when we are in front and have a miserly approach to protecting the back four......then you might be surprised, with the odd win against the mighty Man U.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â