Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man United

limpid

Match Polls  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/21 at 22:59

27 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Comments I made to a friend before the game.

signal-2021-05-09-151749~2.jpg

Nakamba is not the answer to Luiz......We need better allround quality in there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I didn't think they were a better team thanks today. Just that we were beaten psychotically before a ball was kicked. 

I dunno if anyone else has pointed this out earlier in the thread, but it really made me laugh. Not sure even Man U could get that past the refs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, chappy said:

Stupid foul by Luiz, especially after the same thing happening at Old Trafford.

Then we lost our heads and conceded again straight away.

Felt we deserved the lead at HT but once again we’ve found a way to gift them a route back into a game. So frustrating.

As for the ref... tell me that Greenwood handball is any different to Cash at Man City?! The sending off for Ollie is absolutely outrageous too. First yellow was harsh for a mistimed challenge when they’d committed 10 fouls by that point and gone without cards. The second one is just a joke. Not a penalty but never a dive either! 

Voted Traore motm fwiw. Great goal.

It doesn't happen just against Man U......we need to be mindful of this during the summer recruitment.

• Like 1

Thought Man U looked as if they were in “do the minimum necessary to win this” mode. They obviously will feel they have bigger fish to fry in the coming days.

We did well in the first half after an early spell of allowing ourselves to be bullied. Took the game to United, forced them into errors and Traore scored a great goal. McGinn, Mings, Konsa and Targett looked particularly good.

Second half they came on a bit more fully to us and the inevitable penalty happened. For me it was a penalty but an incredibly soft one displaying great naivety and lack of nous on the part of our player (not the first time such a thing has occurred). We then left the gate open for their second, which was in all honesty rather a good goal, but only once Mings had laid out the welcome mat for Greenwood.

To my mind we looked better after the substitutions and we could have scored but for lack of confidence in front of goal and some bad luck. Then we left the gate open again for Cavani, who doesn’t really need to be asked twice to score in circs like that.

Then Ollie got sent off completing my misery. I thought refs had given up on bookings for simulation because it is so I hard to judge, particularly given the ease with which players go down in the box these days. Certainly I don’t think Ollie dived, deliberately trying to get a penalty. He looked like he was avoiding an anticipated tackle from which in the end there was no contact.

Seems miserable he misses a game for such a non-event.

Same old really. The curse of Man U continues. ☹️

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

But how can that be a pen and the Sterling one yesterday isn't? 

VAR has brought no consistently to decisions. 

Oh it has.....just not for us.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Thought Man U looked as if they were in “do the minimum necessary to win this” mode. They obviously will feel they have bigger fish to fry in the coming days.

We did well in the first half after an early spell of allowing ourselves to be bullied. Took the game to United, forced them into errors and Traore scored a great goal. McGinn, Mings, Konsa and Targett looked particularly good.

Second half they came on a bit more fully to us and the inevitable penalty happened. For me it was a penalty but an incredibly soft one displaying great naivety and lack of nous on the part of our player (not the first time such a thriving has occurred). We then left the gate open for their second, which was in all honesty rather a good goal, but only once Mings had laid out the welcome mat for Greenwood.

To my mind we looked better after the substitutions and we could have scored but for lack of confidence in front of goal and some bad luck. Then we left the gate open again for Cavani, who doesn’t really need to be asked twice to score in circs like that.

Then Ollie got sent off completing my misery. I thought refs had given up on bookings for simulation because it is so I hard to judge, particularly given the ease with which players go down in the box these days. Certainly I don’t think Ollie dived, deliberately trying to get a penalty. He looked like he was avoiding an anticipated tackle from which in the end there was no contact.

Seems miserable he misses a game for such a non-event.

Same old really. The curse of Man U continues. ☹️

Much the way, I saw it.

but it will continue, if we continue to approach games with them as we do.

We need to sign players in the summer, who can help us control games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Mcginn was man of the match today?

Not for me. If others are being generous he was th ebest of a bad bunch, but he did little for me other than run into trouble and generally being in the wrong place. All the backside-out physical stuff did nothing today, I just don't see a player there at the moment, maybe a change on formation or personnel around him would improve him? I just don't know if he is one of those players who is great in the Championship but can't find his feet at PL level - there are plenty of them. I think he needs to be set free to get forward, he is very shackled at the moment.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nakamba is not the answer to Luiz......We need better allround quality in there.

That's not really the bit I was highlighting.

I'm not suggesting he is the answer to anything, never did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Genuine question. What has happened to the rules? Players are allowed to openly delay free kicks and kick the ball away right in front of the ref and there is no punishment. There was a time this was an automatic yellow card.

Question, have the rules changed or have the refs changed the in terms of enforcement? 

Its the Man Utd rule, they play to different rules and the refs know their rules better than the regular ones.

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

You have literally just proven my point several times. I said we weren't ready yet and that we are in a rebuilding stage. You laughed. 

Then you write the above post which says we aren't ready yet and we need to bring in new players. 

Also, I couldn't care less about how many mangers they've had recently, they are 2nd in the league for a reason. They have also come from behind to win a record 10 times this season. 

This Villa side put 7 past the Champions and did the double over Arsenal so this talk about mentality is demonstrably incoherent. We gave Man United a game at their place and did so again today for 70 minutes. Without our star player. 

We are on the right track but we have a way to go. If beating Man United was so easy they wouldn't be finishing runners up in the league whilst playing in the Europa League final. 

who said, it was easy.......and I didn't laugh, you made that up....And I haven't proven your point at all.

If the new players, we bring in are not right, it might change very little.....we have to get the balance of the team right.

I couldn't care less about the 10 wins...... we have kept 14 clean sheets, why not one today.

They have dropped points in 14 games, why not today?

you only get what you take.

We both agree, we need to improve, but lets just hope we sign the right players, because that is key......if the last 3 are anything to go by, we might be ok.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Ref decisions aside, the mental capitulation was just horrendous to watch, but entirely predictable. I'm absolutely fuming with Luiz and Mings.

Some people thought I was mental for whacking £100 on united to win as soon as we went 1-0 up, but the result was never in doubt in my mind.

I whacked £20 on at half time for Man U to win too! it was obvious with how soft we are, Man U were gonna comeback in it, especially with Cavani coming on.

10 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Its the Man Utd rule, they play to different rules and the refs know their rules better than the regular ones.

They are past masters at what they do......but they work very hard without the ball and are dirty bar stewards in pretty dresses......what I mean, they are stealthy and disguise there physical approach very well.

They didn't give us a minutes peace on the ball, but conversely, we stood off them and encouraged them to play, by our very stance......it was inevitable, defending so deep, we was open to mistakes....in short, they too control.

I thought they was in control of the game, when we was leading....it gives me no joy saying this.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We looked better against them after the changes because we could match them physically and in terms of energy.

Keinan clearly made their defenders uneasy, and his turnover, once again, did not go unnoticed by me.

I think it was a bit harsh on him, to say he should have shot,( like some have) if he had, folk would say, Ollie was in a better position, as he was square on.

I actually think Ollie should have been sharper on Wan Bissaka.

I think they changed the mood when the big lads came on.

• Like 1

Strange to me, VAR got involved in a few, but they never stopped the game and allowed us to watch it back. We defo should have seen a VAR replay of the Pogba Pen, Handball by Greenwood and Watkins so called dive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

How many game have we gone ahead and lost?

its not a redeeming trait is it?

We had the (joint ?) least points dropped from winning positions up until recently when we started giving up leads.

2 hours ago, May-Z said:

Can't argue with their penalty. Definite pen. What is frustrating is that Pogba knows it is coming when he is on the floor and does nothing apart from ensuring contact...then Luis obliges.

Never a dive in Ollie's case. He's kicked. In a day and age when all that is needed by VAR to confirm a pen is slight contact then that's BS.

Greenwoods handball is handball. His arm is up in the air ffs.

Also, just after getting a yellow for pulling Watkins back, Maguire pulls his shoulder again, kicks him, then pushes him over out of play. Ref waves play on. 

Just too much bias involved. 

When that happened I literally shouted at the TV "the only reason that's not a fk is cause the ref knows he'd have to book him if it was", there may be been some more colourful language used. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We had the (joint ?) least points dropped from winning positions up until recently when we started giving up leads.

when was the change?....Poor old Jack will cop that no doubt

Â