Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man United

limpid

Match Polls  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/21 at 22:59

23 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

So why can't we ever beat Manchester United? Like, aside from the fact that they're better than us, give me one good reason!

Compare and contrast; Pogba goes down and wins a penalty, Watkins goes down and gets sent off. You need look no further for why Villa can’t buy a win.

• Like 3

Resigned to Barkley not working out, but also Luiz, AEG and McGinn are really only squad players and we need better in those positions if we are to improve. Thats a lot of money though and likely beyond us for one window especially when we also need another forward too.

• Like 4

Very close to giving up on football. I only listen to The Villa Talks Podcast now, hardly watch or listen to anything else. Might just get my news and game reviews form that pod and ignore everything else.

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Compare and contrast; Pogba goes down and wins a penalty, Watkins goes down and gets sent off. You need look no further for why Villa can’t buy a win.

Not quite the same but if the roles are reversed Ollies 'dive' wins a penalty decision for Man Utd, we've all seen it before so many times. Its a joke, officating since VAR has gone down hill drastically. The guy we had today was a clown.

• Like 1

At half time I at no point felt like we would have the concentration levels or grit to see out that game and like many others I felt the turn around was fairly inevitable. I also kind of expected one goal to be followed up with a second quickly because again it’s something we seem to do often which I would put down to poor concentration levels. But my main take away from the game was what the F was dougie doing and mings to be fair 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Watkins goes down but doesn't make a song and dance. Pogba like every single Manure player today whether right or wrong went down screaming and shouting to influence the ref. They cheated 'professionally'. Whiskey nose would be proud of them for their being shot by a sniper antics... So mean tactics. 

As I've always seen that's pissed me off with Villa, we're far too nice. Need to be more dirty bastards and be in the faces of teams and 'we earn the right' to play Deano nice passing football. He needs to be more savvy to how the top flight works and get us being bruisers off the ball.

Edited by stewiek2

29 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

It's a mentality thing. No one has such a poor record against them as us.

I've seen it for years, players and managers change but the result stays the same.

It's not a mentality thing. It's just the fact that they are always a better team than us so we are always looking to overturn the odds every time we play them.

Anomalies happen of course, but not once has a defeat against Man United in the last 26 years been an upset. Sure other, lesser teams have beaten them in that time but our relatively good record at Arsenal makes a lot less sense than our poor record against Man United.

Our record at Newcastle is far more surprising given the level of the 2 clubs over the last 20 odd years. 

It also doesn't help when the ref is more Manc than that bird off the Boddingtons ads. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Resigned to Barkley not working out, but also Luiz, AEG and McGinn are really only squad players and we need better in those positions if we are to improve. Thats a lot of money though and likely beyond us for one window especially when we also need another forward too.

Mcginn was man of the match today?

We played an excellent first half, and then a series of refereeing decisions and mental lapses changes the game. Ultimately, it’s the referee who decided this game in their favour, and I’m getting absolutely sick of it. There really is no way we can beat them, if the ref is going to intervene on their behalf every single time

7 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Pogba was fouled, unfortunately Watkins wasn’t.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, smg said:

Pogba was fouled, unfortunately Watkins wasn’t.

They are the same for me. Shouldn't be enough for a pen in either case. On the current rules we should have had 2 pens today. 

• Like 1

We were beaten by a far superior side in terms of man power. We have to realise we are far from being good enough to compete with top six teams. apart from the occasional outstanding performance.

Another couple of years it will be different.

For instance, how many of our players would get into the Manure team; Grealish - that's it.

We need 4/5 top class players to be able to compete, while keeping our best players, and that will take time.

We have progressed again this season. We have to keep progressing. Patience - and enjoy the ride - it could have been so much worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We were beaten by a far superior side in terms of man power. We have to realise we are far from being good enough to compete with top six teams. apart from the occasional outstanding performance.

For instance, how many of our players would get into the Manure team; Grealish - that's it.

We need 4/5 top class players to be able to compete, while keeping our best players, and that will take time.

We have progressed again this season. We have to keep progressing. Patience - and enjoy the ride - it could have been so much worse.

Konsa would too. Him and Mings are both better than Lindelof. 

1 hour ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Depressing inevitability 

sadly true....I said to my mate at half time.....that pretty much the second half would follow like it did.

I have no qualms with the third goal, its was world class movement from the striker......but the other 2 wow, they were poor........We wait and wait and wait, to get a challenge in and when we do, its in the area.....thats piss poor....The midfield in terms of pressing and challenging for the ball is depressing, they all want to get on the ball, but no one wants to win it.

Genuine question. What has happened to the rules? Players are allowed to openly delay free kicks and kick the ball away right in front of the ref and there is no punishment. There was a time this was an automatic yellow card.

Question, have the rules changed or have the refs changed the in terms of enforcement? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I'd take Martinez and Konsa over Henderson and Lindelof every day of the week. I'd also take McGinn over McTominay but that one I could take or leave.

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

They are the same for me. Shouldn't be enough for a pen in either case. On the current rules we should have had 2 pens today. 

Pogba like evwry Manure player today went down screaming out as if shot. Villa players went down and quiet like angels. Guess who got the big decisions? We're far too bloody nice as a team! Winning decisions is the key. Is it cheating? Yes but this is ridiculous..we gave them far too much respect today against a Manure side there for the taking. They are no way near as good as their league position suggests. We simply bottled it today as we have done alot against these 'big six' sides lately. They're only big six whilst everyone else shows an awe toward them. An awe totally undeserved. I hate this fear factor. It's totally psychological and undeserved

• Like 1

I’m genuinely at the point now where I see it as a 36 game season. Certainly to watch and enjoy. 

I hate this fixture. I text anyone and everyone that there were two certainties in today’s game. United were going to win and they’d get a penalty. It’s just so, so predictable almost to the point where it’s kind of surreal. 

We can’t beat them. Yes, they’re a better team than us and you’d expect them to beat us most times we played them but our record against them must be a statisticians dream. Surely there is no other club in Europe with a worse record against one specific team? 

Wont be watching this fixture next season. I’ve just had enough of it. We didn’t even play that badly today but we will always lose it. Always. Always. Always. 

• Like 3

Â