Breakaway League

Jareth

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Same shite we had from Klopp - they vaguely fart around with saying they're against it so that they don't get beaten up next time they go out for dinner, but at the same time both make shady accusations that UEFA are to blame for not having given the clubs what they want.

F*** em both. If I see you in the Harvester Pep you're getting it!

You are a millionaire several times over. 

You never need to do another day's work to keep you and your family living a life of complete luxury. 

You are lucky enough to have a job that you love though so are happy to continue working. 

Then your employer does something massively unpopular and you fundamentally disagree with. 

What do you do? 

4 minutes ago, blunther said:

My best-case scenario:

They've signed something binding, or they just don't care, and go ahead. PL and UEFA kick them out, and Johnson drops a legal bomb banning unsanctioned matches from happening in the UK. All six clubs move their franchise to some oil-money hole elsewhere in the world. Players abandon it in time, and it slowly dies a death. Phoenix clubs rise with proper fans and work their way back up over the years.

My worst-case scenario:

UEFA and the PL offer various titbits to bring them back around. The SL is dropped, but the larger financial investment vehicles (I refuse to call the Snakey Six 'clubs') get increased TV money, ability to sell their own streams and guaranteed CL football. Every other club becomes a whipping boy as our incomes plummet and theirs rockets. Half of all clubs go bust. Football dies.

I don't think your worst case is quite bad enough sadly.

Worst case is this super league goes ahead AND they're allowed to stay in PL. They secure a monstrous streaming contract with Amazon. People are charged £49 for a season and suddenly fans start getting back onside - because that will happen.

There's one hope here. And that's them being booted from their domestic leagues. Hope PL have some decent lawyers, but it probably isn't enough.

• Like 1

Someone just told me on a footy chat.. PL clubs can vote on kicking other clubs out of the league and while it requires 75% of the votes, it requires less than that to change the rules. So essentially the remaining clubs can vote to change the rules, then vote the clubs out. IF it comes to that. I don't know if this is correct mind.

Can't say I'm surprised, and obviously one thing to say it from an outside perspective, but it's still a little disappointing none of the managers of these clubs have completely trashed it and outright refused to be a part of it. There is no product without them and the players, I'm be surprised if their contracts included mutiny.

They are all in a uniquely privileged position where the worst thing that can happen is you end up without a job, most likely with a payoff, in high demand and are already multi-millionaires with finances of no real concern.

These clubs are quite literally threatening the existence of the sport and all the clubs in it as we know it.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Someone just told me on a footy chat.. PL clubs can vote on kicking other clubs out of the league and while it requires 75% of the votes, it requires less than that to change the rules. So essentially the remaining clubs can vote to change the rules, then vote the clubs out. IF it comes to that. I don't know if this is correct mind.

They don't need to change the rules, the rules are already there and they will have broken them by joining an unsanctioned competition. The 75% is irrelevant (they were posted late last night)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Pointing the blame at UEFA and other clubs feels a bit like the #AllLivesMatter bollocks. Yes everyone in football is a greedy twunt, yes it needs massive reforms, but right now there's a very immediate threat from a very small group of greedy twunts that needs dealing with first and if you're deflecting the blame away from those individuals I can't help but think you're part of the problem.

great analogy...spot on

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

"If you'd give us more subs we wouldn't have had to do this." - Pep.

"If you'd given us less games we wouldn't have had to do this." - Klopp

Both of them, saying erm, I know this is wrong, but.....

Never their fault is it?

I like Klopp excuse because by not giving Liverpool less games they will have to play more games to show Premier League and UEFA. rocket polisher

• Like 1

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd love nothing more than to kick these clubs into the abyss but ultimately all that does it punish the fans. I really think they have to go for the owners. permanent bans for the owners of the six PL clubs involved and anyone else whose name is on anything (Woodward, Levy etc). Maybe a points deduction and a transfer embargo or two wouldn't go amiss though.

9 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Intrigued to see what the UK Government do. They've been building up expectations quite dramatically and to the extent that failure to stop the league now would be seen as much more their fault than it would have had they stayed a bit quieter and not made any commitments. Might all be PR games still but I am curious.

They could have run out some lines about disagreeing with it and it's up to the footballing authorities to deal with and they will offer to facilitate etc etc.  But they have come out very very strong.  They can't back down now and just sweep it under the carpet.  I'm sure they aim to do their best to try and put a stop to it. 

I'm just praying this is the one avenue the scummy 6 hadn't properly thought through. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think your worst case is quite bad enough sadly.

Worst case is this super league goes ahead AND they're allowed to stay in PL. They secure a monstrous streaming contract with Amazon. People are charged £49 for a season and suddenly fans start getting back onside - because that will happen.

There's one hope here. And that's them being booted from their domestic leagues. Hope PL have some decent lawyers, but it probably isn't enough.

True - I think that has the end result is the same as my worst-case scenario though - a cabal of six megarich investment vehicles, and hundreds of football clubs below whose only purpose is to provide training matches for the assets of the large investment vehicles

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

When will we know the out come of the meeting/vote? Has anyone seen any concrete timing for pressers etc? 

Once the 14 clubs agree on something.   Which may take a while, if they can even ever agree.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Once the 14 clubs agree on something.   Which may take a while, if they can even ever agree.

Will be interesting because I think kicking them out benefits a lot of teams throught the league, bottom 5 for example will all stay up if thats the case so it might be unanimous 

2 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

I'd love nothing more than to kick these clubs into the abyss but ultimately all that does it punish the fans. I really think they have to go for the owners. permanent bans for the owners of the six PL clubs involved and anyone else whose name is on anything (Woodward, Levy etc). Maybe a points deduction and a transfer embargo or two wouldn't go amiss though.

I'm not sure it's enough. I completely agree with you, but the only way to punish this to the degree it has an effect on future greed that wants to kill off the sport, is to go after the owners money. The way you do that is to kick these clubs out of the CL and the PL along with fines and points deduction.

I actually think forcing them to start at the very bottom of the football league would be the most fitting punishment. They would get to play through the leagues they wanted to shit on and destroy, while shareholder value would fall to nothing. I know this won't happen, but it would be a fitting punishment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

I suspect its more a case of lawyers and agreeing the legal case for their strategy. I doubt there's any lack of broad agreement. They'll be listening to what is possible under the current framework and what they made need to change and how to go about those changes legally.

• Like 1

Â