Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

On 17/08/2022 at 16:39, DCJonah said:

Did it take Dean Smith 3 years to accomplish his first goal of promotion?

Did it take him 3 years to accomplish the next goal of keeping us up?

Or then another 3 years to move us up the table?

You seem to ignore the fact that Dean met his targets early and did what he was brought in to do. We're still waiting to see if Gerrard can do that. 

I wonder if you'd have this level of patience had Smith replaced Bruce and not got us promoted for 2 years. Would you have said, well Bruce got 2 years so Dean deserves the same? I think we both know the answer to that. 

Put it in the correct thread and I'll answer it.

• Like 1

Its only been 2 games, but it does seem like there's a larger focus on maintaining possession. What I want to talk about here is the areas in which are holding more possession compared to last season.

A 25 percent decrease in possession held in our own penalty box

A 15 percent decrease in possession held in the defensive 3rd

A 50 percent increase in possession held in the middle 3rd of the pitch

A 60 percent increase in possession held in the attacking 3rd of the pitch

An 8 percent increase in possession held in the opposing penalty box.

So basically, we've decreased the amount of time we hold the ball in deep areas and increased possession significantly in the middle and attacking 3rd of the pitch. However interestingly, it has not led to an increase in the amount of possession we've actually managed to get in the opposing penalty box so it suggests the problem is somewhere there. It doesn't matter how much more possession we hold in attack if we can't actually penetrate their penalty box more than we actually have been prior.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its only been 2 games, but it does seem like there's a larger focus on maintaining possession. What I want to talk about here is the areas in which are holding more possession compared to last season.

So basically, we've decreased the amount of time we hold the ball in deep areas and increased possession significantly in the middle and attacking 3rd of the pitch. However interestingly, it has not led to an increase in the amount of possession we've actually managed to get in the opposing penalty box so it suggests the problem is somewhere there. It doesn't matter how much more possession we hold in attack if we can't actually penetrate their penalty box more than we actually have been prior.

It doesn't help that Watkins overruns the ball or shoots at the opposition defenders all the time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Try starting Emi and see if our chances/goals increase ?!

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I still believe most of this change is because we’ve played two very negative sides who were happy to give Villa the initiative (and the ball).

But you have a point about the problem of getting into the box and creating real chances. It was much the same last season against teams that sat back deep, like Watford and Newcastle. Villa were in possession in the final third for long periods, but could not create chances from there.

This is aimed at Tactically aware bods...or interested parties.

is it possible to get your tactics totally wrong.....and win the game?

genuine question.

Just now, TRO said:

This is aimed at Tactically aware bods...or interested parties.

is it possible to get your tactics totally wrong.....and win the game?

genuine question.

Possibly, if you're playing against a team who also gets there tactics totally wrong.

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I still believe most of this change is because we’ve played two very negative sides who were happy to give Villa the initiative (and the ball).

But you have a point about the problem of getting into the box and creating real chances. It was much the same last season against teams that sat back deep, like Watford and Newcastle. Villa were in possession in the final third for long periods, but could not create chances from there.

I think the style of teams we play, has a significant effect on our performances/results.....this is where, consistency eludes us.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Possibly, if you're playing against a team who also gets there tactics totally wrong.

what about, if they get their tactics right and ours wrong....can we still win?

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

what about, if they get their tactics right and ours wrong....can we still win?

Of course there is always the relative quality of the player and then there is luck, the ref and VAR.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Of course there is always the relative quality of the player and then there is luck, the ref and VAR.

Ok, thanks.

so would it be conceivable for a fan to see the " good player quality" and not spot the poor tactics?....in the event of a win.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Against two very poor sides who haven't been interesting in pressing us. 

Let's see how those figures look when we play some decent sides.

Poor midfield selection getting overrun. Again.

Konsa selected and at fault for a goal. Again. 

Dreadful defending from set pieces. Again. 

No discernable patterns of play. Again.  

I hope we magically turn into a better team second half but there is absolutely no reason to believe we will. 

Clueless manager.

• Like 4

Â