MaVilla

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Based on pre-season form, I’d like to see us start at Rennes/Bournemouth

Martinez

Cash   Chambers   Carlos   Digne

McGinn     Kamara     Luiz

Buendia 

Bailey                   Watkins

play yourself in and out the team lads. 5 subs, everyone stays fresh.

has McGinn has a good preseason? Has Cash or Watkins?

18 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

has McGinn has a good preseason? Has Cash or Watkins?

Bit weird coming after that but I’ll indulge.

McGinn is captain now. He will start and he’s been ok. The only other CM who’s shown more in preseason is Sanson, who I like, and would have lead to other posters quoting me and saying he’s the worst player in existence.

Cash has been fine. Not great, but the other option is Kessler-Hayden who looks potentially incredible but is a still a kid who’s only played at L1 level.

Watkins hasn’t, but neither has Ings. Watkins is better running the channels in a hybrid 2 up top. You could play Archer there, it would be a big statement. Having said that, while he’s played well in preseason let’s not pretend he’s pulled up trees. And again, I’d have had responses if I didn’t chose any traditional strikers and went with Coutinho instead.

If they’re not playing well they get replaced.

Edited by a m ole

38 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Bit weird coming after that but I’ll indulge.

McGinn is captain now. He will start and he’s been ok. The only other CM who’s shown more in preseason is Sanson, who I like, and would have lead to other posters quoting me and saying he’s the worst player in existence.

Cash has been fine. Not great, but the other option is Kessler-Hayden who looks potentially incredible but is a still a kid who’s only played at L1 level.

Watkins hasn’t, but neither has Ings. Watkins is better running the channels in a hybrid 2 up top. You could play Archer there, it would be a big statement. Having said that, while he’s played well in preseason let’s not pretend he’s pulled up trees. And again, I’d have had responses if I didn’t chose any traditional strikers and went with Coutinho instead.

If they’re not playing well they get replaced.

Not necessarily disagreeing with any of your points, it was just the term 'preseason form' that I didn't really understand, I think you mean 'who was most used during preseason',

i think Sanson may have played himself onto the bench alongside Bailey and Buendia, I still think Gerrard will persist with Coutinho, Ings and Watkins hope I am wrong. I think a combination of Watkins, Buendia and Bailey could be lethal.

If news of Luiz being close to agreeing a new contract turns out to true then I expect Ramsey will be starting most of the season on the bench. 

I'm optimistic that just because McGinn was named captain,  it doesn't mean he'll play every minute. But i'm certain he'll be starting every meaningful game.

And then Luiz / Ramsey are left fighting over the other starting place (along with Sanson and to a lesser degree Nakamba).

Id guess for nearly all away matches, and the home games against the top sides we'd be better off with the more defensively minded and confident Luiz. For the home games against equivalent teams and the away games against the bottom sides, we can probably afford to go with a Ramsey /McGinn pair in front of Kamara, but I don't think it can be our regular starting line up to any degree of success. 

Going to be very interesting to see how we line up come the first game, and whatever team he picks for Rennes, there's no guarantees that's the one facing Bournemouth.

Ideally,  I'd love us to drop the 2x8s, but just don't think Gerrard will abandon it, unless injuries mandate it. 

Edited by MrBlack

19 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

There's not a chance we drop Cash for KKH.

I think it’s a possibility, Kessler-Hayden offers more than Cash going forward. Kessler-Hayden will learn to defend better as he gains more experience. Kessler-Hayden is a terrific prospect, don’t get me wrong, I rate Cash very highly but I think it’s just as simple as Kessler-Hayden is better or will be better. We gave Kessler-Hayden a new 5 year contract about a year ago for a reason in my opinion. It was the longest contract we’ve ever given to an 18 year old. Even Jack Grealish only got a 4 year contract at the same age I think, I could be wrong on that

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

I mean no malice  when I say this, but I hope McGinn and Courtinho get injured at the same time for a period of around 10 games 

Edited by Follyfoot

I like Cash and think he is better defensively than KKH. But KKH has pace and our side really needs some if we’re not going to fall back into some of last season’s ruts. Plus if we are using the full backs to provide the width and overloads for the attack KKH is made for it in a way that Cash never will be.

In midfield if the fullbacks are pushing up we need some midfielders who can cover. If we want to keep the ball then they also need to be able to pass the ball. Kamara doesn’t look like he’s going to be able to cover all of the defensive holes on his own. Which is why I plumped for Tim. He passes the ball better than Nakamba but is better at cover than Luiz. 

I don’t think that Gerrard will ever pick my team but it’s quite hard with our current players to pick an eleven which works well together.

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it’s a possibility, Kessler-Hayden offers more than Cash going forward. Kessler-Hayden will learn to defend better as he gains more experience. Kessler-Hayden is a terrific prospect, don’t get me wrong, I rate Cash very highly but I think it’s just as simple as Kessler-Hayden is better or will be better. We gave Kessler-Hayden a new 5 year contract about a year ago for a reason in my opinion. It was the longest contract we’ve ever given to an 18 year old. Even Jack Grealish only got a 4 year contract at the same age I think, I could be wrong on that

You genuinely think KKH is better now? Wow. I know you like to be enthusiastic about our players and there potential but come on.....Cash is a Polish international. KKH has had half a decent season in League 1. The Premier League is an entirely different ball game. He may well go on to be a fantastic player but to suggest he's as good as Cash is frankly a bit daft.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

I mean no malice  when I say this, but I hope McGinn and Courtinho get injured at the same time for a period of around 10 games 

yes guys just remember that hate "doesnt exist its just a critique of our managers decisions"

dear god

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

You genuinely think KKH is better now? Wow. I know you like to be enthusiastic about our players and there potential but come on.....Cash is a Polish international. KKH has had half a decent season in League 1. The Premier League is an entirely different ball game. He may well go on to be a fantastic player but to suggest he's as good as Cash is frankly a bit daft.

In my opinion, Kessler-Hayden is better than Cash going forward and has more end product. Cash is better than Kessler-Hayden defensively. There’s a reason we gave Kessler-Hayden a new 5 year contract recently 

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, Kessler-Hayden is better than Cash going forward and has more end product. Cash is better than Kessler-Hayden defensively. There’s a reason we gave Kessler-Hayden a new 5 year contract recently 

We gave Cash a contract extension this year too. He's contracted til 2027. There's a reason he was given a new deal.

This should be our lineup imo.

4231 i think gets the best out of our players.

Kamara/Luiz as ball playing double pivots.

an AM three of:

• Couts/Buendia/Bailey, or
  • Couts/Ramsey/Buendia, or
  • Couts/Ramsey/Bailey

Depending on whats needed.

Striker - whoever could hit a barn door on the day......

image.png.9aed6b6981a2805b0e56d295d58bf699.png

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

This should be our lineup imo.

4231 i think gets the best out of our players.

Kamara/Luiz as ball playing double pivots.

an AM three of:

• Couts/Buendia/Bailey, or
  • Couts/Ramsey/Buendia, or
  • Couts/Ramsey/Bailey

Depending on whats needed.

Striker - whoever could hit a barn door on the day......

image.png.9aed6b6981a2805b0e56d295d58bf699.png

Correct. With Ramsey missing out IMO.

I think the chance of this team is about 10%.

Looking forward to seeing the line-up tomorrow, fingers crossed.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You can add Arsenal to the 3421 pot.

Demolished Sevilla 6-0 today.

It really would make sense I think. Utilises all our better players. Please not 4312 again. Please.

we could defo play the 343/3421 type formation with the players we have.

We wont ofc tho......

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s going to be an interesting 6 months. I like Gerrard but it’s clear he doesn’t really know his best XI and the formation/system seems a bit of a mess at the moment. His biggest downfall will be his team selection. If he sticks with Watkins, Ings, McGinn and even players like Mings when they’re not playing well, it will cost him his job and he’ll have nobody to blame but himself. 

Right now, he needs to pick players who are playing well and who performed last season. Watkins has been atrocious and shouldn’t start for us and Ings looks unfit to me. Maybe start with Bailey as a false 9? I don’t know. But he’s got to work it out and I have no idea if he will. 

Buendia, Sanson, Bailey and Chambers should all be starting next week in my book. They’ve been our best players in pre season, or certainly right up there. 

I wonder if having the extra 2 subs is going to change how much we just rely on a starting XI...

And I'd love to see all 4 of those start but I don't think we will sadly 

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Playing bailey out of position would be worse than starting with Watkins or Ings up front

You could be right, but he’ll be playing out of position regardless as we don’t play with wingers and we aren’t going to move away from the 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 system we play.

He’s got to find a way to get Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey in the same team. I don’t know how he does that. 

Maybe our style will be a bit more pragmatic. It’s not going to look good on the eye but it seems to be working to some degree. In a weird way it’s similar to parts of Mourinho’s time at Chelsea, I’m sure a lot of times they didn’t look that attractive but they got results and won stuff. 

Just a thought I’ve had while having a beer 😂

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Maybe our style will be a bit more pragmatic. It’s not going to look good on the eye but it seems to be working to some degree. In a weird way it’s similar to parts of Mourinho’s time at Chelsea, I’m sure a lot of times they didn’t look that attractive but they got results and won stuff. 

Just a thought I’ve had while having a beer 😂

Thats great but we have Coutinho,  Bailey, Ings, Watkins, Buendia

It's not exactly Stoke City and its a shit excuse for Gerrard

Â