Weekends Football 19/21 February

andykeenan

Just now, est1874 said:

Surely that's neither here nor there. If I see a player down injured in the box and I run into them, does that mean the ref should grant me a penalty?

It was a nonsense scenario in which to grant a pen, I can't understand how a professional official has looked at that twice and come up with the same verdict. Disgusting.

Well it is though, we've seen penalties given because the player catches the opponent (having got the ball) on the follow through, we got one against blues.

You could easily argue that it was a foul by DCL for running into a prone player.

Will give the Liverpool fans something to moan about at least.

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

Only surprised that TAA wasn't sent off for that pen 

Had to be sent off if it was seen as a foul as he was making no attempt to play the ball.......not that you can lying on your backside with the ball 5 yards away....Whilst you get kneed in the head.

I guess for the penalty the decision rests on whether you consider it as two separate actions or just one - if it's just one then you say that Trent slides in to make the tackle, doesn't get the ball and then trips the forward. I think that's quite difficult to justify - although I think it's how the ref has given it.

For me, it's two actions, he slides in to make a challenge or block and there's no foul then the shot comes back and there's contact - but the challenge for me has ended when the shot is made - we're into a new phase of play in which TAA is a player on the ground, not a player making a challenge - at that point I don't think there's a foul. I think most people would see it that way.

That said, Everton deserved the win and I don't think Liverpool can have any complaints on the result.

Â