Weekends Football 19/21 February

andykeenan

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Jose could be getting sacked shortly. I almost wrote that he’d be worried about getting the sack but I’m sure he doesn’t care. Big payoff and some time off. Then in 6-12 months someone else will give him millions to manage them.

Had to double check...a genie post actually advocating a high profile manager getting sacked.:thumb:

FWIW I think they'll just go all out for europa now. Can see them putting out reserve teams in premier league from April onwards as they aren't finishing top 4 if they lose this and even top 6 is looking a forlorn hope so they either beat Man. City to get europa or EL to get that champions league spot but that's going to be very tough ask with how they've defended in last few months.

He won't be there next season unless he wins the europa league feels realistic as he won't finish high enough in the league to justify another season. Spurs need to pay the bills for the new stadium and lack of CL income will hurt them.

Can also see Kane going to PSG.

West Ham and Everton finishing above Liverpool and Spurs could be absolutely fantastic for the league, plus Leicester still up there, and Arsenal nowhere to be seen.

The title race is all but over, but the top few spots are more compettive than ever, long may it continue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

But Jose wins trophies!

A serial winner. Its all he knows. Jose finds a way, few things are inevitable, death and Jose winning clubs things. 

Spurs peaking to win the league cup....but also finishing 11th in the league would be such a Spurs thing to do. They actually did that in 07/08, beat Chelsea in league cup final under Juande Ramos but finished in 11th and 30 points off 4th. We finished about 15 points clear of them.

Wouldn't take Mourinho seriously anymore if he started lauding that as some amazing career achievement, he simply in these circumstances must win the europa league this season.

Just now, Davkaus said:

West Ham and Everton finishing above Liverpool and Spurs could be absolutely fantastic for the league, plus Leicester still up there, and Arsenal nowhere to be seen.

The title race is all but over, but the top few spots are more compettive than ever, long may it continue.

Leicester and West Ham finished above Liverpool and Chelsea in 15/16. All it meant was the next season the usual top 6 woke up and were miles clear of the rest by start of December.

All it will mean is they'll all spend 200m + in the summer and they'll probably start supporting the new CL proposals as with those Liverpool would virtually have a place in it every year if they didn't finish below 7th.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Leicester and West Ham finished above Liverpool and Chelsea in 15/16. All it meant was the next season the usual top 6 woke up and were miles clear of the rest by start of December.

All it will mean is they'll all spend 200m + in the summer and they'll probably start supporting the new CL proposals as with those Liverpool would virtually have a place in it every year if they didn't finish below 7th.

Half of those clubs would need to take out another £200m emergency loan to be able to spend another £200m. And they still have to start paying off the emergency loans they took out last year.

Been a mad season...I remember after the first weekend when Liverpool looked really dodgy when they won 4-3 v Leeds at the back and Spurs were awful losing at home to Everton that a) Liverpool had the look of team who'd bomb and finish outside the top 4 and b) Spurs would already have a Mourinho meltdown and finish 8th or 9th.

Then in the next three months both were on great runs and were comfortable top 2 by mid December and Man. City were looking the team in decline.

Two months later and Man. City are strolling to league title and the outlandish predictions are looking pretty good forecasts.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Half of those clubs would need to take out another £200m emergency loan to be able to spend another £200m. And they still have to start paying off the emergency loans they took out last year.

Think decent number of people will be back in stadiums in August so that will help with cashflows and they still have the TV money. Plus some big hitters like Salah and Kane might be sold for big money.

FA want 30% of capacity for Wembley for euros games so don't see why that can't be realistic option for premier league for opening weekend and then you increase that a bit more if everything goes safely.

Edited by VillaChris

Alexander Isak with another 2 so far today. Scored in 6 straight league games now. Sociedad knew what they were doing when they sent out Willian Jose on loan to Wolves.

Hattrick and subbed after 66 minutes. Good lad.

12 in the league now and scored 9 of those in 2021.

Edited by sne

Mourinho not working at Spuds is hardly a surprise. He likes to play defensive men behind the ball football, whereas Poch was all about the press and front foot. I doubt Levy trusts him enough to do a complete squad rebuild so it will be easier sacking off the coach than the players. He will probably coach in China next and then maybe the Portugal job.  He is finished for the top level now.

ManUre 1-0 to the good against Newcastle. 

What was unthinkable a few games ago could easily become reality with Fulham closing the gap to safety. 

both have tough fixtures coming up but only one of them is currently heading in the right direction! 

edit - f***sticks Newcastle equalise 😂

Edited by theboyangel

Daniel James seems to have hit a bit of form again recently.

I actually think he'd be a decent pick up for us as I presume they'll finally get in Sancho or someone else for the right in the summer and that will bump him down the pecking order and they'll be open to selling him.

If Lingard who hasn't played in years can suddenly hit form at West Ham I imagine he would aswell and would continue to improve our counter attacking ability as he's rapid.

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Thought I read that Jose doesn't have a break clause and the payoff would be very high from Spurs

Yep thats the way it is. 

Wouldn’t be surprised Mourinho wins Carabao Cup next week

Â