Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No point signing someone as back up to Nakamba we need to sign better.

I like Nakamba and think he’d be great in a sitting role rather than part of a 2. Doucoure May be better for all we know but is also only 21 so certainly has potential to be better.

I’m convinced we signed Buendia to play with Grealish (kit launch being a massive telltale sign) which means the board were clearly willing to spend a lot of money in this window. If Grealish had stayed I’d also have expected them to sign a starting defensive midfielder for around 30-40m.

Ings and Bailey were clearly (and rightfully) signed when we knew Grealish was leaving but even up until this point, our net spend is something like -£5/10m right? 

I fully expect us to go out and sign a defensive midfielder and then properly replace Grealish in that left sided forward position. Either that or sign an attacking midfielder if Buendia and Bailey play wide.

Just because we’ve signed Ings, it doesn’t mean we can’t have genuine competition for places in those forward areas. I think there is serious worry on here that we can’t fit Ings and Watkins into the same team if we sign another quality attacking midfielder and people are instead happy to see Watkins pushed out to the left to accommodate him. This isn’t how sides progress. Ings and Watkins fighting over that spot is healthy competition and there are plenty of occasions when we’ll need both up top when we’re chasing games.

As things stand, I don’t see us finishing in the top 10 as we’ll be too reliant on Buendia for creativity and our back 4 isn’t protected enough. We need two more and I’ll genuinely be excited to see what we can do this year. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No point signing someone as back up to Nakamba we need to sign better.

Definitely, and informed opinion suggests Doucoure is that. But signings from France always need time to bed in, so a transitional season is almost inevitable. Be good to do that with Marv as the steady Eddy allowing him (or Sarr, or whoever comes from overseas) to step up at the pace of progress. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Absolutely yes but i dont think the club see it this way as they made the statement to say we have replaced Grealish with three players.. bizarre enough but they will probably start the season comfortable with what we have.

See, I think Purslow’s comments were about replacing Grealish’s output, not the actual player in the position he plays. Signing Ings, Buendia and Bailey will go a long way in doing that but we still need one more attacking option of genuine quality. 

If Buendia gets injured, I think we’ll be bemoaning the fact that we’ve just substituted our over reliance on Jack with Emi.

FWIW, our transfer business has been excellent so far, but we can’t just sit back now and rest on what we have done. 2 more players and I think we can push Arsenal and Spurs aside. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VillanOfAston said:

But to me it seems quite clear - That's it's all just a little bit of history repeating.
(To the tune of Shirley Bassey)

Back in September 1979 our Talisman Andy Gray left us for a British record fee of £1.49 Million to join our rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers.  They overspent and ended up in deep financial trouble and were relegated to the second division.  Almost ruined!

Using that money, we rebuilt and replaced him with Peter With and co.  We won the league 80/81 and the European cup 81/82.

Move forward 42 years

Our Talisman Jack Grealish leaves August 2021leaves us for a British record fee of £100 Million to join up with Manchester City.  After buying Kane as well they are finding themselves having overspent.

They are in financial trouble and get relegated through mismanagement.
Villa however invest this record fee in several top quality new team members and are again playing the best football seen at Villa Park for years.

The following season we win the premiership and the following league we win the UEFA Champions league!

They do say things go around in cycles!  UTV

And then you woke up?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VillanOfAston said:

But to me it seems quite clear - That's it's all just a little bit of history repeating.
(To the tune of Shirley Bassey)

Back in September 1979 our Talisman Andy Gray left us for a British record fee of £1.49 Million to join our rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers.  They overspent and ended up in deep financial trouble and were relegated to the second division.  Almost ruined!

Using that money, we rebuilt and replaced him with Peter With and co.  We won the league 80/81 and the European cup 81/82.

Move forward 42 years

Our Talisman Jack Grealish leaves August 2021leaves us for a British record fee of £100 Million to join up with Manchester City.  After buying Kane as well they are finding themselves having overspent.

They are in financial trouble and get relegated through mismanagement.
Villa however invest this record fee in several top quality new team members and are again playing the best football seen at Villa Park for years.

The following season we win the premiership and the following league we win the UEFA Champions league!

They do say things go around in cycles!  UTV

Might be wrong but I'm not totally convinced Man City will get relegated. The rest is pretty obvious though!! UTV

• Like 2

I know we'll never know for sure but I'm sure Buendia was signed to play with Grealish, and I think Bailey as well. The Bailey deal was in the works for weeks apparently. Buendia was the replacement for Barkley and signed to take some of the creative pressure off Grealish. Just like Barkley was 12 months ago. We were still trying to keep Jack right up until the last minute, so he would have played with them if he had decided to stay. 

I think the plan was to play Grealish on the left, Buendia at 10, and Bailey on the right, with Watkins up front.

Ings was rushed through before the Grealish sale announcement, no doubt about that IMO. 

• Like 4

Further to my post above, the conclusion to that is that I think we will sign another attacking player. A left sided one, who can play in the centre if needed. 

I like the look of the Correa link. Cantwell is another who plays that role, but isn't value at £40m, no way. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Further to my post above, the conclusion to that is that I think we will sign another attacking player. A left sided one, who can play in the centre if needed. 

I like the look of the Correa link. Cantwell is another who plays that role, but isn't value at £40m, no way. 

Correa will go to Inter

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know we'll never know for sure but I'm sure Buendia was signed to play with Grealish, and I think Bailey as well. The Bailey deal was in the works for weeks apparently. Buendia was the replacement for Barkley and signed to take some of the creative pressure off Grealish. Just like Barkley was 12 months ago. We were still trying to keep Jack right up until the last minute, so he would have played with them if he had decided to stay. 

I think the plan was to play Grealish on the left, Buendia at 10, and Bailey on the right, with Watkins up front.

Ings was rushed through before the Grealish sale announcement, no doubt about that IMO. 

That’s how I see things. Which leaves me worried about how we’re forcing a last minute change of formation on ourselves in order to accommodate an unplanned player (Ings- who I’m delighted with anyway).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

You could be right, still leaves us needing to replace Grealish. 

If we’re honest, the Ings signing has consumed the f*** out of all of us. I really rate him as a player but now we’re all scrambling around trying to figure out what formation we’ll play and where Watkins plays.

Personally, I just look at Ings being brought in to compete with Watkins in that number 9 role. If we’re chasing games we have two solid striking options and if one is injured, the other can deputise. And yes, if our NEW left sided forward is injured, Watkins can play out there.

Its all about options. Just because our starting team consists of XI players, doesn’t mean you can’t have 14-15 quality options. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

Correa will go to Inter

You're probably right. Hopefully our two Argentinians can sell him the benefit of Brum over Milan :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

That’s how I see things. Which leaves me worried about how we’re forcing a last minute change of formation on ourselves in order to accommodate an unplanned player (Ings- who I’m delighted with anyway).

It's a strange one. I don't know why it was so rushed on that day. Its not as though Southampton weren't aware we were likely to sell Grealish for £100m that day! It couldn't have been about price? Maybe it was done so we get another signing in to appease the fans ahead of announcing the Jack sale later that day? Maybe Ings was a target all along but we fast-tracked it that day for the positive news effect. Who knows! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

It's a strange one. I don't know why it was so rushed on that day. Its not as though Southampton weren't aware we were likely to sell Grealish for £100m that day! It couldn't have been about price? Maybe it was done so we get another signing in to appease the fans ahead of announcing the Jack sale later that day? Maybe Ings was a target all along but we fast-tracked it that day for the positive news effect. Who knows! 

Nail on head me thinks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

If we can sign a central combative midfielder and then either one of Cantwell or Danjuma, it will have been a great window.

Oh and perhaps this Small kid for the U23s.

Replace the word Danjuma with Doku or Damsgaard and you’re bang on. I’ve watched a lot of Danjuma and while he is a useful player, I don’t think he’ll improve us. 

We need someone of the same quality as Buendia and Bailey. Not even sure that’s Cantwell even though I quite rate him. Would love us to be looking at Kamada or Doku. 

I personally think Ings is competition for Watkins and f’ing good competition for Watkins. We now have no real drop in player from the bench in that position. 

I also think he was one of those that ‘became available’ and as our board have already stated, we’d move on a deal of that kind, under the right circumstances. 

I think Ings can be our Cavani. Quality when needed, either from the start or off the bench. He is a massive upgrade on Wes and Davis so was a no brainier really. 

I also think with Ings in Smith will rest Ollie a bit more too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not that they didn’t want him, but in terms of timing, I honestly think they were trying to avert a massive mental health crisis in the fan base. Not even joking. People were losing their minds.