Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

You're probably right. Hopefully our two Argentinians can sell him the benefit of Brum over Milan :D 

Remember Ossie Ardiles and Ricardo Villa signing for Spurs (Before the Falklands War)  Tottenham were hot to trot!  So yes 2 Argentines are going to do wonders for us!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not that they didn’t want him, but in terms of timing, I honestly think they were trying to avert a massive mental health crisis in the fan base. Not even joking. People were losing their minds.

It was certainly a week like no other on here! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, burchy said:

I personally think Ings is competition for Watkins and f’ing good competition for Watkins. We now have no real drop in player from the bench in that position. 

I also think he was one of those that ‘became available’ and as our board have already stated, we’d move on a deal of that kind, under the right circumstances. 

I think Ings can be our Cavani. Quality when needed, either from the start or off the bench. He is a massive upgrade on Wes and Davis so was a no brainier really. 

I also think with Ings in Smith will rest Ollie a bit more too

I think it will come to that 

But I wouldn't be surprised if early on both of them start. 

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m convinced we signed Buendia to play with Grealish (kit launch being a massive telltale sign) which means the board were clearly willing to spend a lot of money in this window. If Grealish had stayed I’d also have expected them to sign a starting defensive midfielder for around 30-40m.

Ings and Bailey were clearly (and rightfully) signed when we knew Grealish was leaving but even up until this point, our net spend is something like -£5/10m right? 

I fully expect us to go out and sign a defensive midfielder and then properly replace Grealish in that left sided forward position. Either that or sign an attacking midfielder if Buendia and Bailey play wide.

Just because we’ve signed Ings, it doesn’t mean we can’t have genuine competition for places in those forward areas. I think there is serious worry on here that we can’t fit Ings and Watkins into the same team if we sign another quality attacking midfielder and people are instead happy to see Watkins pushed out to the left to accommodate him. This isn’t how sides progress. Ings and Watkins fighting over that spot is healthy competition and there are plenty of occasions when we’ll need both up top when we’re chasing games.

As things stand, I don’t see us finishing in the top 10 as we’ll be too reliant on Buendia for creativity and our back 4 isn’t protected enough. We need two more and I’ll genuinely be excited to see what we can do this year. 

Spot on Delphino , but cant see the board seeing it this way and they will want to play both Ings and Watkins together and they wont sign two more players only a defensive midfielder, would love a Bernardo Silva that would really cushion the Grealish blow but that aint gonna happen because then id be dreaming of top four 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not that they didn’t want him, but in terms of timing, I honestly think they were trying to avert a massive mental health crisis in the fan base. Not even joking. People were losing their minds.

For the conspiracy theorist. Ings was earmarked as Kane's replacement at spurs.

Purslow was seriously pissed with Man City. So he snaffled Ings on the day - so he wouldn't go to spurs - who then wouldn't sell Kane.

This rumour was doing the rounds on the saints forum - also reckon Ings got a £6m signing on fee with the proviso he would complete that day and told no one 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m convinced we signed Buendia to play with Grealish (kit launch being a massive telltale sign) which means the board were clearly willing to spend a lot of money in this window. If Grealish had stayed I’d also have expected them to sign a starting defensive midfielder for around 30-40m.

Ings and Bailey were clearly (and rightfully) signed when we knew Grealish was leaving but even up until this point, our net spend is something like -£5/10m right? 

I fully expect us to go out and sign a defensive midfielder and then properly replace Grealish in that left sided forward position. Either that or sign an attacking midfielder if Buendia and Bailey play wide.

Just because we’ve signed Ings, it doesn’t mean we can’t have genuine competition for places in those forward areas. I think there is serious worry on here that we can’t fit Ings and Watkins into the same team if we sign another quality attacking midfielder and people are instead happy to see Watkins pushed out to the left to accommodate him. This isn’t how sides progress. Ings and Watkins fighting over that spot is healthy competition and there are plenty of occasions when we’ll need both up top when we’re chasing games.

As things stand, I don’t see us finishing in the top 10 as we’ll be too reliant on Buendia for creativity and our back 4 isn’t protected enough. We need two more and I’ll genuinely be excited to see what we can do this year. 

If you are someone that believes the Athletic then Buendia and Bailey were signed regardless of Grealishs decision. Orenstein tweeted that Buendia was signed having nothing to do with Grealish and for Bailey Gregg Evans stated:

"It should again be made clear that this chase for Bailey was initially started with an eye on adding to a team with Grealish in it but Manchester City have since moved to take him away from Villa."

https://theathletic.com/2717225/2021/07/31/leon-bailey-how-the-direct-ball-carrier-and-versatile-forward-will-fit-into-villas-team/

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

For the conspiracy theorist. Ings was earmarked as Kane's replacement at spurs.

Purslow was seriously pissed with Man City. So he snaffled Ings on the day - so he wouldn't go to spurs - who then wouldn't sell Kane.

This rumour was doing the rounds on the saints forum - also reckon Ings got a £6m signing on fee with the proviso he would complete that day and told no one 

Its an interesting theory for the tinfoil hat brigade :)

• Haha 1

Just now, Xela said:

Its an interesting theory for the tinfoil hat brigade :)

Yes - it sounds ludicrous - but then if you have seen the purslow video statement - feck me he looked angry !!!

Also several places have reported that we offered Grealish to Man U as we didn't want him to go to city.

Just now, VillanOfAston said:

In my honest opinion, watching the Euros.  As soon as I watched the Danes, I thought my god!  That Damsgaard is good.  Wish the Villa would go in for him!

A month later there are links to him.  Sign him now! 

Yes looks like he would fit in nicely as well.

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

If you are someone that believes the Athletic then Buendia and Bailey were signed regardless of Grealishs decision. Orenstein tweeted that Buendia was signed having nothing to do with Grealish and for Bailey Gregg Evans stated:

"It should again be made clear that this chase for Bailey was initially started with an eye on adding to a team with Grealish in it but Manchester City have since moved to take him away from Villa."

https://theathletic.com/2717225/2021/07/31/leon-bailey-how-the-direct-ball-carrier-and-versatile-forward-will-fit-into-villas-team/

Well there we go. 

If we had Grealish right now, I’d be absolutely buzzing for the new season. A front 4 of Grealish, Buendia, Bailey and Watkins is up there with the best in the league and would have seen us really compete.

Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Watkins just isn’t at that level because Grealish is a world class talent and whilst Ings is a very good player, he doesn’t have that creative spark that Jack does (nobody does). 

Like I say, everything points to us doing more business this summer and not just in the defensive midfield position. Colomosse, who has been bang on the money this window, says we’re after an attacking and a defensive midfielder and that’s exactly what we’ll buy (in my opinion). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Well there we go. 

If we had Grealish right now, I’d be absolutely buzzing for the new season. A front 4 of Grealish, Buendia, Bailey and Watkins is up there with the best in the league and would have seen us really compete.

One of the reasons why his departure hurt as it did. I was really looking forward to that front line. It really is up there with the best in the league. We could have done serious damage :( 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

One of the reasons why his departure hurt as it did. I was really looking forward to that front line. It really is up there with the best in the league. We could have done serious damage :( 

Absolutely. But we can spread out his transfer fee. If we replace him with a Damsgaard/Correa/Doku/Kamada type signing and a top quality defensive midfielder, we can be as good! 

I think..

• Like 1

I've a feeling that we might be done.  As things stand, I don't see us improving our league position.

I'm entirely unconvinced that the changes/additions will compensate for losing Grealish.

Our biggest weakness was failing to control the midfield, and I can't see the new signings changing that.

We will see though

• Like 3

Just now, Keyblade said:

**** him. Look forward. If Ollie, Ings, Bailey and Buendia can gel as an attacking unit that’s savage. Go big on midfield and we’ll be a real force in the league. 

I’m on the Carney bus, think he’ll be a massive part of the match day side by January. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s quite funny, most of us on here were saying we needed cover/competition for Watkins and as soon as we bring that in (Ings), we’re all now convinced Watkins will change position and play on the left!

It's because Ings is better than him, and not cover!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s quite funny, most of us on here were saying we needed cover/competition for Watkins and as soon as we bring that in (Ings), we’re all now convinced Watkins will change position and play on the left!

Yes, but because Ings doesn’t play as a lone striker. If he’s on the pitch it’ll be with Ollie unless he’s injured. Scrawled this in several threads now, but if you put Liverpool’s shape onto our front 3 then Ings is Firmino. That could work a treat with a high energy midfield behind. 

No way we are playing 4-4-2. 

• Like 3