General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

The only thing that makes any sense in this idea is that it's being brought in to allow referees to more successfully influence games in the direction of those clubs that bring in the most TV revenue. 

When an idea only makes sense if it's a deliberate act of sporting criminality, then I think it's fair to say it's utter dogsh*t

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What happens if you commit your blue card offence in the 44th minute? Do you sit out the first few minutes of the second half? Can you be substituted while you're on a blue card? What happens if you get it in the 90th minute?

I'm not in favour of the idea, but I'd say the answers to these questions are fairly obvious.

If it happens in the 44th minute then it lasts for 10 minutes of game time, including the second half.
No you can't be substituted
If you get it in the 90th minute then you sit out the rest of the game (assuming it doesn't go beyond the 100th minute)

• Like 2

Personally, I'm not against really cynical fouls being punished by something stronger than a yellow card. I personally don't think a yellow is enough of a deterrent for certain fouls that get made.

But I don't think sinbins are the answer.

As for dissent, it's a load of nonsense. If they wanted to deal with dissent then they should just enforce the current rules properly. But they don't have the balls to do that and never will

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The only thing that makes any sense in this idea is that it's being brought in to allow referees to more successfully influence games in the direction of those clubs that bring in the most TV revenue. 

When an idea only makes sense if it's a deliberate act of sporting criminality, then I think it's fair to say it's utter dogsh*t

These are my thoughts, we all know they don't apply the current rules equally at this moment in time. I can see it now, smaller team hanging on to a slender lead with 15 minutes left and player swears in frustration, referee takes any opportunity to send a player of the leading team to sin bin to allow the rich team an opportunity to get back into the game. Can you imagine the referee sening Bruno Fernandes to the sin bin in similar circumstances. I am not so sure. I don't trust the referee's today!

Sin bin is a terrible, unworkable idea. If refs enforced existing rules and used cards, you cut it out. Imagine if the likes of Rodri or Bruno G got sent off for their repeated tactical fouls. Equally, however, managers would find ways to complain about the use of the sin bin. We will continue to have imbalance until we have a higher standard of officiating on and off of the pitch. The solutions are plasters over incompetent wounds. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

The only change that was ever needed in football was a stop clock.  60 minute long games, clock stops when the ball isn't in play.

You don't need weirdly varying amounts of added on time which have no consistency or a blue card to discourage poor sportsmanship.  Just have a stop clock and apply yellow cards properly.

100% this.

Even with the 'extended stoppage time' it's as bad as ever.

On Wednesday, just the subs/injuries were over 4 mins, so the ref cannot be trusted to properly count. Give them a mechanism.

I dont think it's a bad idea if enforced properly. Also a son bin card plus a yellow should also be a red card during the game

Issue is refs wont have bottle to enforce it

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If they wanted to deal with dissent then they should just enforce the current rules properly. But they don't have the balls to do that and never will

Exactly, same for diving. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Why blue? Orange was the obvious choice. 

It is probably for the fans. At a quick glance Orange may get mistaken for Red on tv or in the ground, whereas with Blue there shouldn't be any confusion.

26 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It is probably for the fans. At a quick glance Orange may get mistaken for Red on tv or in the ground, whereas with Blue there shouldn't be any confusion.

Blue hurts my OCD. Has to be orange. 

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think it's a bad idea if enforced properly. Also a son bin card plus a yellow should also be a red card during the game

Issue is refs wont have bottle to enforce it

Bit harsh to single him out but he has had some horror tackles so I guess it's fair.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Why blue? Orange was the obvious choice. 

This is the worst part about the whole thing to be honest 

We have green cards in field hockey, 2 minute sin bin. Yellow cards are a minimum of 5 minute sin bin. I've always found the green card quite useful in dealing with minor stuff and nipping something in the bud before it escalates, in particular backchat from players.

No idea if it would work in football though, given the propensity of players to mouth off, you'd end up with half a side in the sin bin.

It's just totally different in terms of relationship between official/player- in hockey if you tell the umpire to **** off you know you are getting a red card (and also getting banned for several weeks). In football players know there is zero risk in doing that, because despite the league/PGMOL always talking about clamping down on that stuff, they never actually follow it through properly. A slight increase in yellows for surrounding the ref/backchat when they announce an initiative (and that's team dependent), but then it just reverts back to usual.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, andym said:

No idea if it would work in football though, given the propensity of players to mouth off, you'd end up with half a side in the sin bin.

I really don't think we would if referees enforced even yellow cards consistently.

When players swear or shout at the ref, book them every time. If a group crowd the ref and ignore his instructions to back off, book every single one of them. Might even mean some of them get sent off. Do it in every game over a weekend and the problem will be all but gone.

Refs have the tools, they don't use the tools, so we're giving them more tools for them to not use.

Except for the tactical foul, I don't hate that.

• Like 2

There will be no improvement in the game until there is recognition that the refs aren’t good enough. The idea that they are as good as we can get is what will hold the entire thing back  

If you wanted to make a real difference start recruiting right now for a better level of referee and stop trying to introduce gimmicks to try and convince people of improvement. 

What VAR has shown in bright lights is that the people are the problem. Not the rules or the systems in place!! 

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I really don't think we would if referees enforced even yellow cards consistently.

When players swear or shout at the ref, book them every time. If a group crowd the ref and ignore his instructions to back off, book every single one of them. Might even mean some of them get sent off. Do it in every game over a weekend and the problem will be all but gone.

Refs have the tools, they don't use the tools, so we're giving them more tools for them to not use.

Except for the tactical foul, I don't hate that.

They've said the same for pulling at corners. They randomly crack down on it for a week or so and then stop and the situation remains the same or even gets worse.

• Like 1

Having grown up with ice hockey, I'm open to the idea. I do agree with those who question how well it will work with a running clock. Maybe it should be clocked only for time the ball is in play.

Refs are very hesitant to pull out that red card, especially early in the match. They will be less hesitant to send someone off for 10 minutes.

Wonder how many more minutes per game of extra time due to players arguing with the ref this will result in. Then again I guess it means an opportunity to throw in a quick commercial break for the US broadcasters. 

Â