General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

Should always be the refs decision he should be sent to the monitor to check if he has made a mistake but still the refs call.

Yesterday was a new low VAR agreed he was onside but thought the goal had been given so said check over.

So Rule 1 is ask they ref what the onside decision is and then send him to the monitor if its contentious. 

Rule 2 don't question the onfield decision if its not clear and obvious.

No lines needed for offside use your eyes on the freeze frame.

Suggestion would be get ex pros in the VAR room to explain what challenge warrants a red.

It's not Rocket Science it's pretty simple.

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

The one defence I can offer the refs here is that the wording is stupid. Don’t just say “check complete” say something like “I understand the on-field decision is a goal and I agree. The VAR decision is that a goal has been scored” or whatever. Just something that is totally clear. 

Totally.  The VAR response should be "GOOD GOAL" or "OFFSIDE" 

An unclear response makes no sense. 

14 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m **** livid with that shit. How can they make that error? It makes no sense? What did they actually check? It’s just so bizarre and **** up that corruption is the only logical answer.

I actually think it might be the best evidence for a lack of corruption, actually. 

I mean does anyone think it is even remotely possible that Levy would spend money on bribing officials? He's so tight his players have to stump up 50p to put in the machine that washes their socks. 

Of course that just means the officials are absolutely rubbish.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

He looks to be directly in the keepers' eyeline for me.  But as you say, they're letting them go this season so who the **** knows really :D 

I actually dont buy that. If he was directly in his line of sight he would still be standing still as the ball rolled past him. He dived immediately, he saw it all right. 

It would be nice to have a round of games without VAR/referees being the centre of attention. 

I feel the game has been ruined now. 

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I've said before that giving refs the ability to delegate responsibility to VAR that has degraded the quality of officiating. 

Refs have become risk averse, and they are now in a constant game of 'pass the responsibility' with the VAR guys. 

This is definitely the case with offside decisions. 

How many corners awarded and goals scored after periods of play because linesmen won't stick their flags up for a probable offside. They're too risk averse now because they're used to VAR making the big decisions. 

• Like 2

The language they use is bizarre. 

GMO in rugby have had the system for years and they use very clear language -

‘do you see any reason why I can’t award the try?’

simply the ref asking ‘do you see any reason why this shouldn’t be offside?’ Would have completely eliminated this mistake. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The language they use is bizarre. 

GMO in rugby have had the system for years and they use very clear language -

Just another example of IFAB and PGMOL refusing to look at other sports. "We're the best sport in the world, what have we got to learn from that lot?!"

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I actually dont buy that. If he was directly in his line of sight he would still be standing still as the ball rolled past him. He dived immediately, he saw it all right. 

He’s not a mammoth boulder - just a footballer. He can both be in the keepers’ line and still the keeper can see a shot. 

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He’s not a mammoth boulder - just a footballer. He can both be in the keepers’ line and still the keeper can see a shot. 

Indeed, you don't have to be completely blocking the view to distract the keeper and benefit from being offside.

The more we argue about various interpretations of offside, interfering with play, phases of attacks, the philosophical nature of what it means to deliberately play the ball, and all of this over stuff, the more I wish it just went back to, "if you're in an offside position when your team is in posession, it's a free kick". Fully automate it.

Strayed offside for a second and didn't have anything to do with the game and ruined your team's attack? Well that was **** stupid wasn't it, you'll learn.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don't really care that much about the interpretation of the rule, it's only there to stop goal hanging fundamentally.

All I care about is that it's consistently applied and everyone can understand (within reason) the rules and that they don't keep changing the application every season.

Interesting to read that several PL referees have been regularly taking money from Saudi Arabia and the UAE to go and officiate games in their leagues. Which is obviously fine with no questions of conflicts of interest, because states are not allowed to own Premier League clubs.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

Makes sense how the VAR offside thing happened now.

I think the bigger issue is that once play is restarted they can't go back and fix it, they knew within 10 seconds of Spurs restarting play that wasn't the intended outcome. The laws of the game don't work with common sense and they haven't for a long time, needs a complete overhaul. 

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Should always be the refs decision he should be sent to the monitor to check if he has made a mistake but still the refs call.

Yesterday was a new low VAR agreed he was onside but thought the goal had been given so said check over.

So Rule 1 is ask they ref what the onside decision is and then send him to the monitor if its contentious. 

Rule 2 don't question the onfield decision if its not clear and obvious.

No lines needed for offside use your eyes on the freeze frame.

Suggestion would be get ex pros in the VAR room to explain what challenge warrants a red.

It's not Rocket Science it's pretty simple.

The technology is already there with the semi-automated offside system.  The ball has a sensor, each player has about 30 data points tracked 50 times per second, the VAR is given instant lines based on the information that they don't have to spend time and draw themselves, then once it's done it makes a 3D visualisation for the viewer.  I read that the PL wanted more testing of it because it might not be perfect but would prefer to keep using the more fallible current system in the meantime.  It's a bit like in cricket where it took a while to realise that even though Hawkeye isn't perfect, it's still a much more accurate representation of what's going on and most importantly treats both teams the same way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

The technology is already there with the semi-automated offside system.  The ball has a sensor, each player has about 30 data points tracked 50 times per second, the VAR is given instant lines based on the information that they don't have to spend time and draw themselves, then once it's done it makes a 3D visualisation for the viewer.  I read that the PL wanted more testing of it because it might not be perfect but would prefer to keep using the more fallible current system in the meantime.  It's a bit like in cricket where it took a while to realise that even though Hawkeye isn't perfect, it's still a much more accurate representation of what's going on and most importantly treats both teams the same way.

I don't know why but it was the clubs themselves that rejected this at the start of the season. If the tech makes a mistake it can be fixed for the future, these officials will continue to make mistakes.

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Interesting to read that several PL referees have been regularly taking money from Saudi Arabia and the UAE to go and officiate games in their leagues. Which is obviously fine with no questions of conflicts of interest, because states are not allowed to own Premier League clubs.

An example game in question, 2 days before making a completely incorrect call to the detriment of one of Man City's direct competitors, the VAR that made the decision was on the UAE payroll https://www.uaeproleague.ae/en/fixtures/d5f295d8-0f45-11ee-afb1-d481d7b85086

Now, it's very possible that Darren England, Michael Oliver, and other PGMOL referees are absolutely above reproach in their conduct, and it'd be libellous to suggest otherwise. They are quite possibly dense enough to actually believe that Man City aren't state owned. But if I were a powerful Emirati that controlled a PL club and a nation, with a history of disrespecting the rules and sporting integrity, and wanted to bribe some referees, this is how I'd do it.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Not only 2 days before but they got back early Friday, then had to travel to the game

how can they be focused on anything with such a heavy schedule? We don’t expect players to play Thursday/ Saturday but it’s ok for refs to moonlight?

the whole thing stinks 

Edited by StefanAVFC

VAR has taken the emphasis off the officials to confidently make decisions in the moment. Instead of it being a tool to help, it's become a crutch that substandard officials lean on to get them out of the shit.

I was a lino at a decent level and from experience, It's truly laughable that the linesman gave Diaz offside in the first place yesterday. It wasn't even close. VAR shouldnt even be needed here. The emphasis should be on the officials making the correct decisions in the moment, with VAR stepping in after. That doesn't seem to be the case now. 

Just terrible stuff all round. 

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Thanks 1

Â