General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Would have counted if it was a sky 6 club 

Essentially another question, one that I can answer - is there enough leeway that an apparently objective decision can be manipulated? Yes.

Not saying they are being, but could they be? Evidently.

If you have to slow it down or use single frames and draw lines, it's not clear and obvious. Let the on field refs do their thing and if there's some contention, watch it back a few times in full speed. If it's that egregious of a decision, it will be spotted.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, a-k said:

If you have to slow it down or use single frames and draw lines, it's not clear and obvious. Let the on field refs do their thing and if there's some contention, watch it back a few times in full speed. If it's that egregious of a decision, it will be spotted.

Yep! Every single VAR check should be the booth telling the on-field ref to have another look. He gets to see a replay twice from each relevant angle at full speed, and then gets to decide whether he changes his own decision. Simple. Including offsides, for which there should be no lines drawn. If you can't tell it's offside from a single replay, it's not offside.

That (first) Joao Pedro penalty for Brighton against AEK.  I just... I don't get it.

Defender goes to block a shot, Joao Pedro cuts it cut back so the defenders' trailing leg makes contact with Joao Pedro's standing leg.  Undeniable contact, doesn't win the ball... but does it actually impede the attacker in any way whatsoever?  Why should this be a penalty?

(Of course, Joao Pedro throws himself to ground and VAR leads to a pen being given).

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That (first) Joao Pedro penalty for Brighton against AEK.  I just... I don't get it.

Defender goes to block a shot, Joao Pedro cuts it cut back so the defenders' trailing leg makes contact with Joao Pedro's standing leg.  Undeniable contact, doesn't win the ball... but does it actually impede the attacker in any way whatsoever?  Why should this be a penalty?

(Of course, Joao Pedro throws himself to ground and VAR leads to a pen being given).

It’s shit like this that makes the entire penalty system a complete mess for me. 

There is no downside for an attacker to feel for any contact and throw themselves over. They won’t be get booked, and there’s a good chance they get a pen. 

Maybe indirect free-kicks for some penalty decisions? I really don’t know the answer other than strong refereeing. 

• Like 3

On 20/09/2023 at 11:00, a-k said:

clear and obvious does not work with offsides iirc as offsides or onsides is a factual decision. 

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

clear and obvious does not work with offsides iirc as offsides or onsides is a factual decision. 

Well, it's factual if you have a frame exactly as the ball makes contact with the player playing it. But we don't have that, and a lot of things can change between frames (see Diaby goal last week).

60fps, with a stationary defender and an attacker running at full pelt means there's a good 15cm+ of movement between frames. Double that if the defender is playing an offside trap and moving in a direction opposite to that of the attacker.

Given that, it's not a factual decision like they claim it is.

Edit to add: this is discounting the utter nonsense these days of whether a player is active, or whether it was a different 'phase', both of which are entirely subjective and seem to change on a weekly basis.

Edited by blunther
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It’s shit like this that makes the entire penalty system a complete mess for me. 

There is no downside for an attacker to feel for any contact and throw themselves over. They won’t be get booked, and there’s a good chance they get a pen. 

Maybe indirect free-kicks for some penalty decisions? I really don’t know the answer other than strong refereeing. 

The only answer I can come up with is remove all these binary rules and let the referee make a decision on whether he thinks a penalty should be awarded. As much as we complain about refs, they are good at what they do, and would be even more effective if they were just left to do their job. Of course there will be inconsistencies, two refs will never see the same incident exactly the same, but that is something players, managers and fans will just have to accept.

11 mins.

That's already become standard if you're daring to not let a super league team be ahead on 90.

Stop clock is needed or this will be abused every single game.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

Just now, sne said:

VAR with a horror call there as a blatant hand ball by Sid from Ice Age is ignored for the Newcastle goal. Saudi money at work again.

Wtf is going on, kept the ball in with his hand and no VAR, unbelievable 😳 

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

11 mins.

That's already become standard if you're daring to not let a super league team be ahead on 90.

It's there to give the sky 6 clubs more time to turn draws into wins.

Uefa and Premier League absolutely desperate for the sky 6 to qualify

Edited by Pinebro

29 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

11 mins.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It's there to give the sky 6 clubs more time to turn draws into wins.

Uefa and Premier League absolutely desperate for the sky 6 to qualify

Let's not talk about the Villa vs Palace game though lads 👀

I think the whole Sky6 thing is a myth. Nobody is immune from the shit decisions. Lots of borderline calls have gone against MU.

They could have potentially left the foul on Digne today as a yellow if they really wanted.

• Like 1

Â