Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

I always eat about an hour before bed and maintain a body fat percentage in the 12-14 range with a BMI of 24 (191cm/88-90kgs). 

Should be almost unpossible, seeing as I’m apparently breaking all available dietary advice. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I always eat about an hour before bed and maintain a body fat percentage in the 12-14 range with a BMI of 24 (191cm/88-90kgs). 

Should be almost unpossible, seeing as I’m apparently breaking all available dietary advice. 

Lucky you 😂

If you dint mind me asking whats your age, weight and general well being?

The thing is alot of people feel healthy until synptoms happen. I didnt realise how much i had fatty liver until i went for a blood test. I was stunned as i had absolutely zero symptoms (and i rarely drink alcohol therefore its more the diet). But after reafing and speaking to people it seems when you get the symptoms in that kind of scenerio is when its either too late or very difficult to reverse

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont agree with most of that i am afraid. Snacking at night is probably the worst thing you can do. It spikes your insulin for starters, which you want to prevent if you want to lose weight.

Its not mostly rubbish because your less active so if you eat a load of nuts crisps etc a hour before bed your not gonna be moving much then all that is stored as fat. 

In your case its probably as you say, you dont consume enough calories in the day, or you might have insulin resistance  (most of the population has thats what a high sugar/carb does to us!)

I mean for me before when i was heavy i would eat nuts later maybe a hour or so before bed and i would get absolutely bloated. Next morning id have a belly pop out (im only 38) since ive stopped this my bellys completely gone.

Of course everyone is different but i dint support late night snacking. Just my two cents 🙂

Just did a quick google and this article seems to have a fair bit of balance and references

Although many people believe that a slower metabolism during sleep leads to weight gain, your nighttime basal metabolic rate is almost as high as during the day. Your body still needs plenty of energy while you sleep (1).

There’s also limited evidence supporting the idea that calories count more before bedtime than they do at any other time of the day (2).

It would seem that the problem with eating at night isn’t explicitly linked to your metabolism switching to storing calories as fat at night. Instead, weight gain can be caused by bedtime snacking, which increases your caloric intake.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lucky you 😂

If you dint mind me asking whats your age, weight and general well being?

The thing is alot of people feel healthy until synptoms happen. I didnt realise how much i had fatty liver until i went for a blood test. I was stunned as i had absolutely zero symptoms (and i rarely drink alcohol therefore its more the diet). But after reafing and speaking to people it seems when you get the symptoms in that kind of scenerio is when its either too late or very difficult to reverse

Don’t mind it all. I already told you my measurements, I’m 35 on Friday and feel physically better than at any other point in my life. I do weightlifting 3-5 days per week and run 2-3 times per week. No luck involved at all 😉

The point is, as always, different people need different diets and eating habits. And if weightloss is your goal, how much and what faaaar outweighs any marginal significance of when. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Don’t mind it all. I already told you my measurements, I’m 35 on Friday and feel physically better than at any other point in my life. I do weightlifting 3-5 days per week and run 2-3 times per week. No luck involved at all 😉

The point is, as always, different people need different diets and eating habits. And if weightloss is your goal, how much and what faaaar outweighs any marginal significance of when. 

But your reletively active and young thats a good thing. Those that are not the above suggestions may cause health issues (eating late, snacking on nuts before bed)

Also unless you get tested regularly e.g blood tests you dont really know what you could or couldnt have. 

Edited by Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But your reletively active and young thats a good thing. Those that are not the above suggestions may cause health issues (eating late, snacking on nuts before bed)

Also unless you get tested regularly e.g blood tests you dont really know what you could or couldnt have. 

Why should I go get tested for anything if I’m in excellent shape and feel great? I happen to eat perfectly healthy, thanks. Nothing in my diet puts me at increased risk of anything. 

Eating late won’t cause health issues on its own. At least, I’ve not seen evidence to suggest it would. It’s more likely that most people who eat late snacks have already more than reached their cals limit for the day anyway and are just running up their (unhealthy) cals surplus. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Why should I go get tested for anything if I’m in excellent shape and feel great? I happen to eat perfectly healthy, thanks. Nothing in my diet puts me at increased risk of anything. 

Eating late won’t cause health issues on its own. At least, I’ve not seen evidence to suggest it would. It’s more likely that most people who eat late snacks have already more than reached their cals limit for the day anyway and are just running up their (unhealthy) cals surplus. 

I already answered that above. Up to you of course. I felt great healthy and then got tested and had a few abnormalities. Hence why i do keto and feel better than ever. But your life you can do as you please im not here ti dictate your life.

I can only speak from my experience and since i stopped all the bad happens my blood results are all normal range again

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I already answered that above. Up to you of course. I felt great healthy and then got tested and had a few abnormalities. Hence why i do keto and feel better than ever. But your life you can do as you please im not here ti dictate your life.

I can only speak from my experience and since i stopped all the bad happens my blood results are all normal range again

But I don’t have any bad habits (health wise, mind. Ask my soon-to-be-ex wife, I’m sure she’ll tell you I have about a billion others). There is absolutely no reason to think there is anything wrong with my health, so why waste both my own time and my GP’s time? 

Eat and drink with moderation, maintain a balanced (but not dogmatic) diet, excercise regularly (but not necessarily as rigorously as I do), don’t smoke and see your GP if something is wrong. If your genetic lottery ticket saves you from getting cancer or whatever, you’re all set. Don’t make being healthy more complicated than it needs to be. 

17 minutes ago, El Zen said:

But I don’t have any bad habits (health wise, mind. Ask my soon-to-be-ex wife, I’m sure she’ll tell you I have about a billion others). There is absolutely no reason to think there is anything wrong with my health, so why waste both my own time and my GP’s time? 

Eat and drink with moderation, maintain a balanced (but not dogmatic) diet, excercise regularly (but not necessarily as rigorously as I do), don’t smoke and see your GP if something is wrong. If your genetic lottery ticket saves you from getting cancer or whatever, you’re all set. Don’t make being healthy more complicated than it needs to be. 

With 1st point requesting a blood test for example is not exactly wasting  a gps time. Isnt it better to check to ensure everything  is ok once in a while? Im not suggesting your unhealthy by the way in just speaking generally.  As my previous post like you i felt absolutely fine, then when i went for routine blooda my liver function was very  high and my sugars were high. In these kind of cases when it gets serious its difficult to reverse. So best way is to do something about it while you can. You wouldnt know unless you did tests.

Agree with most of your final paragraph but no one is making it "more complicated that it needs to be" just having a discussion/debate 

Your life do as you please not telling you otherwise

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont agree with most of that i am afraid. Snacking at night is probably the worst thing you can do. It spikes your insulin for starters, which you want to prevent if you want to lose weight.

Its not mostly rubbish because your less active so if you eat a load of nuts crisps etc a hour before bed your not gonna be moving much then all that is stored as fat. 

In your case its probably as you say, you dont consume enough calories in the day, or you might have insulin resistance  (most of the population has thats what a high sugar/carb does to us!)

I mean for me before when i was heavy i would eat nuts later maybe a hour or so before bed and i would get absolutely bloated. Next morning id have a belly pop out (im only 38) since ive stopped this my bellys completely gone.

Of course everyone is different but i dint support late night snacking. Just my two cents 🙂

Yeah this is mostly bro science.

It doesn't matter when you eat.

The reason banning yourself from snacking after 7:30pm works is because it gives you a nice period of time where you don't eat any calories so it results in you eating less calories overall. You'd probably get the same result if you said "I don't eat anything between midday and 6pm"

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

You are a healthy person who eats well and exercises. You have taken a wrong turn into this thread!

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The reason banning yourself from snacking after 7:30pm works is because it gives you a nice period of time where you don't eat any calories so it results in you eating less calories overall. You'd probably get the same result if you said "I don't eat anything between midday and 6pm"

If people (not everybody) are snacking later into the evening, it's probably not on cucumber and radishes, that's the problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

You are a healthy person who eats well and exercises. You have taken a wrong turn into this thread!

I haven’t always been, though 😉

8 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

If people (not everybody) are snacking later into the evening, it's probably not on cucumber and radishes, that's the problem.

Exactly

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I said this earlier. I

43 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

And i agree with this 👌 nuts is probably the worst thing to eat late at night 

It all into links with intermittent fasting. I personally don't agree with stevo when he says it doesn't matter when you eat. 

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I said this earlier. I

And i agree with this 👌 nuts is probably the worst thing to eat late at night 

It all into links with intermittent fasting. I personally don't agree with stevo when he says it doesn't matter when you eat. 

For the average person it matters very very little

• Like 1

I need to sort my shit out again. 

Had a bit of a health kick before the holiday at Easter, lost about 9 pounds and felt much better. Too much good living and that 9 pounds has found me again.

8 weeks till the next holiday now, gonna reduce calorie intake and walk the dog double distance each night. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 07:58, AVFCDAN said:

Week 1 - 4 pounds down.

The week in summary is 12k steps per day, drank once, stuck to 1700 calories a day, overall I'm happy with that.

Week 2 - 1 pound down

The week in summary is 12k steps again, food was around 1700 calories. The problems were that i drank heavily on Friday and Saturday, didnt get enough sleep and did about 100 steps on Sunday. Should have been a 2-3 pound loss without the drink but i have to take it and do better this coming week.

Put on weight recently. Up from 84/85 KG to nearly 90KG. I'm 6'3/191cm. With moving into the house, constantly running around with no routine, it's caught up with me a bit.

I have a plan to sort it (daily bike 30mins to 1h on days with no football + 1 rest day) but it's still meh.

16 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Week 2 - 1 pound down

The week in summary is 12k steps again, food was around 1700 calories. The problems were that i drank heavily on Friday and Saturday, didnt get enough sleep and did about 100 steps on Sunday. Should have been a 2-3 pound loss without the drink but i have to take it and do better this coming week.

i struggle the same. walk to and from work every day (c.1.5m each way) and calories at around the 1700/1800 mark but all it takes is a day on the beer and i'll get a maintain rather than a loss

now the season is over i can knuckle down

losing weight is **** difficult

Â