Formula One - 2021

BOF

On 17/12/2021 at 16:06, BOF said:

Yes and as per my post, I wonder what the reaction in here would have been if they had. If.

My reaction would be the same as it is for Lewis and Toto (this is the first I've heard of it.

If that really is the reason they haven't turned up then it's very **** petty and almost undoes the way Lewis accepted the loss on the day, which was very gracious. 

Audi are on the verge of confirming an F1 entry.

Exclusive: Audi very close to announcing Formula 1 plans

Audi are on the verge of committing to an F1 entry, following the latest meeting of the World Motor Sport Council.

Audi's plans to enter Formula 1 are gathering pace, with the German manufacturer apparently satisfied with the direction of Formula 1's regulations in the coming years.

At a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council last week, the framework for the 2026 Power Unit regulations were outlined with the aim of using 100% sustainable fuels with a shift of focus to more electrical power. The intent is also to significantly reduce the costs, both for existing manufacturers and potential newcomers.

With this framework in place, Audi appear to be on the verge of committing formally to an F1 entry.

More in link.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think I've read VAG are on the verge of entering one of their brands into F1 more times than any other F1 rumour. They're the Defoe to Villa of motorsport. It does seem like this time is more serious than the previous ones but that's true every time it comes up. I'll believe it when I see them on the grid.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Not strange at all.

Whenever there is a safety measure or a lane closure on the motorway all the Audi drivers just drive down to the front of the queue.

F1 appear to have recently adopted this policy.

Having thought about it for a few more moments I think they might be turned on by a bit of corruption and rule bending. 

Maybe they’re looking to try and get their unbelievably energy efficient Diesel engines onto the cars.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

Having thought about it for a few more moments I think they might be turned on by a bit of corruption and rule bending. 

Maybe they’re looking to try and get their unbelievably energy efficient Diesel engines onto the cars.

*cough* unbelievable indeed *cough*

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the FIA have announced the details of their inquiry into the end of the season and from a distance it looks like it might be quite a weak effort.

Personally I'd like to see Masi gone and last seasons drivers championship result annulled, with no 2021 Champion. That might sound extreme, but I think the FIA have to be seen to be doing something major if they're to save the reputation of the sport.

At the moment, it doesn't even look like Masi's position is definitely under threat. 

I bet Max is dreading returning for the new season. Everyone will be “well done on the championship, but it wasn’t really a proper win was it? How does it feel to win the title via a stewarding mix up? Do you think Masi should be fired for his errors that gifting you the win you shouldn’t have had” etc etc etc.

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So the FIA have announced the details of their inquiry into the end of the season and from a distance it looks like it might be quite a weak effort.

Personally I'd like to see Masi gone and last seasons drivers championship result annulled, with no 2021 Champion. That might sound extreme, but I think the FIA have to be seen to be doing something major if they're to save the reputation of the sport.

At the moment, it doesn't even look like Masi's position is definitely under threat. 

I expect Masi will be gone. There's no smoke without fire, and it always seems to be a part of any article I read on the subject that the FIA are looking at re-arranging hierarchy and that Masi's role comes from a pool of people. Like they're preparing us for the inevitable but trying to soften the damage on Masi by saying it's just a rotation.  It also seems to be what the likes of Toto & Horner want.  My own opinion is also that Hamilton's silence and waiting 'to see what happens' boils down to a very simple 'either [Masi] goes or I do'.

As for annulling the Championship, that won't and shouldn't happen.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I bet Max is dreading returning for the new season. Everyone will be “well done on the championship, but it wasn’t really a proper win was it? How does it feel to win the title via a stewarding mix up? Do you think Masi should be fired for his errors that gifting you the win you shouldn’t have had” etc etc etc.

I doubt he's dreading it at all.  The F1 paddock isn't twitter and they know racing. He didn't balls up the final race. He benefitted from it. For example I've seen racers say the luck he got balanced the luck he didn't get to that point. Whether we agree with that or not (I don't), the point is that's one of the opinions coming from the paddock.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I doubt he's dreading it at all.  The F1 paddock isn't twitter and they know racing. He didn't balls up the final race. He benefitted from it. For example I've seen racers say the luck he got balanced the luck he didn't get to that point. Whether we agree with that or not (I don't), the point is that's one of the opinions coming from the paddock.

The media will be asking him all those type of questions about the circumstances surrounding the title win.

He isn’t the most patient person in the world so it might get on his tits quite quickly. He’s also not great with the media in general anyway. He’ll get more attention as the champ, plus initially an interest in his feelings about how it came about.

The luck element was the crash bringing the safety car out, that’s racing, you win some you lose some.
The other bit with the stewarding can’t really be lumped in with the kind of things that even themselves out. It was a once in a lifetime monumental **** up that decided that a driver won the race and the championship he would not otherwise had done if rules and processes had been followed correctly.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The other bit with the stewarding can’t really be lumped in with the kind of things that even themselves out. It was a once in a lifetime monumental **** up that decided that a driver won the race and the championship he would not otherwise had done if rules and processes had been followed correctly.

We know that, but he didn't do it. He benefitted from it. That's why he has no case to answer.

Everyone knows what happened. Lewis was robbed. But he wasn't robbed by Max. He was robbed by an incompetent race director. Unfortunately that is shit that happens too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BOF said:

We know that, but he didn't do it. He benefitted from it. That's why he has no case to answer.

Everyone knows what happened. Lewis was robbed. But he wasn't robbed by Max. He was robbed by an incompetent race director. Unfortunately that is shit that happens too.

Yep, it’s all done now… but I bet he still gets asked many times about it, how he feels about it, what should have happened, what should happen to Masi, has he spoken with Lewis or Toto about it, what should the FIA do differently etc. 

It all takes the gloss off being a champion when the debate about how it came about will no doubt rumble on.
It’ll be be top story when the season restarts I’m certain.