Formula One - 2021

BOF

Toto Wolff Hints That Lewis Hamilton May Not Return For 2022 After F1 Finale Fiasco

The fallout to Sunday's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix continues apace. On Thursday morning, Mercedes announced that they would not proceed with a formal appeal of the race results - but their team boss Toto Wolff also hinted that their flagship man Lewis Hamilton may not return to see out the final two years of his contract.

I would very much hope Lewis continues racing because he is the greatest driver of all time. As a racer his heart will say I need to continue because he's at the peak of his game.

But we have to overcome the pain that was caused upon him on Sunday. He is a man with clear values.

I would very much hope the two of us and the rest of the team we can work through the events, but he will never overcome the pain and the distress that was caused on Sunday.

• Sad 1

I would like him to set a president and retire, But he'll be back I have no doubt. Could make for a very exciting season. None of the team going to the end of season F1 event.

Speaks volumes Jean Todt is in hiding and hasn't come out to clarify the rules and stick up for his man and the FIA he runs.

Edited by foreveryoung

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Playing games with the FIA to get what they want or genuine?

I'd give him the benefit and say emotions are still very high and he probably has fallen out of love with it all for the time being. He needs the off-season. I do think he'll be back for next season. He knows once he walks away that's it. And he's still at the peak of his powers and he'll want a taste of the next generation of car. I think it's a process he's going through and it's perfectly understandable. He was shat on from a great height and he needs to go away and come back on his own terms. Let the healing take place etc.

I think what it does show, however, is the extent to which the FIA have hurt their sport. I hope the blowback on them is massive, and this message, regardless of whether Lewis comes back or not, is just the latest in a growing line of things that 'don't look good' on them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

The statement above paints a fairly rosy picture. The quotes here show both Toto and Lewis are not happy.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has cast doubt on whether Lewis Hamilton will return to F1 next season following the "pain and distress" suffered in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

I wonder if part of this is pressure on the FIA. Change (sack Masi) or Lewis, Toto, and possibly Mercedes, are out?

Link

I will bet that all 3 will be back next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shuffled Masi to a different position. It's a very easy PR win for the FIA and it wouldn't be hard to pick someone better. Eduardo Freitas is the WEC race director and I only watch about 2 races a year but he has always seemed highly respected. He was also on the race control team his home race in Portimao last season.

I do feel a little bit of sympathy for Max. He’s an exceptional racer and a worthy champion, but the way this landed in his lap wasn’t right and he will know it.

It’ll always be the year the FIA robbed Lewis. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's tried really hard to smile there bless him.

Y'know, like he's seen normal people do.

Now now 😂 There's only one of them has a disingenuous personality. You've seen Max horsing around with Danny Rick at Red Bull. 

Part of me does wonder what the reaction in here would have been to Max and Christian Horner deciding not to attend the FIA prize giving yesterday had the roles been reversed. It seems Lewis and Toto's absence is not worthy of any comment? 😂👍 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Part of me does wonder what the reaction in here would have been to Max and Christian Horner deciding not to attend the FIA prize giving yesterday had the roles been reversed. It seems Lewis and Toto's absence is not worthy of any comment? 😂👍 

I wasn't aware there had been a FIA Prize Giving yesterday, but yes it would be extremely odd for Max and Horner not to turn up having been gifted the Championship, the ingrates. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I only read about it a couple of hours ago. I don’t blame them. Standing there clapping and watching them give the awards you were robbed of to someone else? I think if the roles were reversed Max and Horner wouldn’t have attended either.

• Like 3

I would not criticize anyone for skipping the gala. It's an absolute s**tshow every year. :lol:

Watching it "live" it seemed like they were making it up as they went along, which is oddly fitting this year.

Turns out their "live" stream was actually delayed by over two hours and they still hadn't managed to edit it to seem anything near professional.

The only redeeming feature every year is the mildly amusing winners speeches and interviews. Kimi got absolutely rat arsed the last time he made top 3.