Formula One - 2021

BOF

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I thought he mostly spoke out about human rights abuses, racism and climate change? 

More evidence of what a despicable human being he is who should be hated by all and sundry.  Anyone but Lewis👍

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's not like it gives him a seat in the Lords to undemocratically influence policy. It's an (admittedly archaic) recognition of being the most successful F1 driver in history.

Also, I thought he mostly spoke out about human rights abuses, racism and climate change? Not sure what these have to do with "the establishment" unless you accept those in power in this country are intrinsically linked to all three.

I'm not surprised he'd want to accept it. His whole career he has got absolutely battered by compatriots whatever he does and, even for someone so successful, he probably felt a little vindicated getting recognition.

Human rights, but races in those countries and is best mates with the Prince of Abu Dhabi

Racism, agree, but claims the country is institutionally racist, so as I said, why then join that establishment by being knighted

Climate change. Yeah right, flies everywhere in his own private jet and I'm sure with his lifestyle, he's not really thinking of saving the planet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Climate change. Yeah right, flies everywhere in his own private jet and I'm sure with his lifestyle, he's not really thinking of saving the planet.

Sold that "private jet" in 2018

Verstappen does use a private jet though...

Edited by Jimzk5

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mercedes have withdrawn the appeal

Probably the best thing all things considered.

It would be damaging to the Mercedes brand to be fighting it in court (even though they are right).

The official shafted them, it happens, time to move on.

• Like 1

I'm sure Mercedes can't be the only team very concerned with how things unfolded.

The FIA probably need a little reminder that without the teams they have have no Championship. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The FIA probably need a little reminder that without the teams they have have no Championship. 

I'd have withdrawn Mercedes 30 seconds after the appeal process failed on Sunday , but that's just me  , i don't know what the financial implications of it all would be to the team  ,

I'd like to have seen Verstappen acknowledge on the day that he lost that race and just processioned in behind Hamilton irrespective of the shenanigans being orchestrated off the track   ,but clearly he's a man without honour and a tainted champion  ...  but the record books will just say Verstappen was Champion this year , not that the rightful winner had it stolen from him 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd have withdrawn Mercedes 30 seconds after the appeal process failed on Sunday , but that's just me  , i don't know what the financial implications of it all would be to the team  ,

I'd like to have seen Verstappen acknowledge on the day that he lost that race and just processioned in behind Hamilton irrespective of the shenanigans being orchestrated off the track   ,but clearly he's a man without honour and a tainted champion  ...  but the record books will just say Verstappen was Champion this year , not that the rightful winner had it stolen from him 

The problem is any perceived theft was done by the FIA, not Max, which is also why any Mercedes appeal would be pointless. They wouldn't be taking it back from the FIA, they'd be taking it back off someone who didn't do anything wrong. Max was gracious in victory as were Hamilton and Toto in defeat. I think everyone who knows the sport knows what happened was not right. Every single article or video I've seen since has been about the injustice, the rules, the robbery ,rather than the win. And now the FIA talking about clarity etc etc. Everyone knows the FIA **** up. Even the Johnny come lately fans know it was wrong. I don't think you can take it out on Max though. In this case he's one of the innocent parties. He just happened to benefit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

The problem is any perceived theft was done by the FIA, not Max,

The FIA didn't force him to overtake  .. other than Hamilton's engine blowing up or mechanical failure  , no way he wins that race  .. he knows that as much as the rest of the world 

on that basis he's complicate and not innocent in my opinion , not that it counts for anything 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

The FIA didn't force him to overtake  .. other than Hamilton's engine blowing up or mechanical failure  , no way he wins that race  .. he knows that as much as the rest of the world 

on that basis he's complicate and not innocent in my opinion , not that it counts for anything 

You expected 2 cars racing for the title to hold station? We're playing silly buggers now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah, I would like to think if I was in his shoes I would be man enough not to take the overtake, but I guess in the heat of battle, the desire to get the title, who knows what you would do.

The sportsmanlike thing to do would definitely to let Lewis go to the line and I am sure plenty of sportsmen would take that route.  F1 is one of those really big money sports though so sportsmanship is more on the backburner than in other sports.

I'm not sure how much he would know about what had happened in the isolation of his Car.   It was all pretty split second wasn't it.

I'm playing Devil's advocate here.  I think he's an arse to have taken it.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

The statement above paints a fairly rosy picture. The quotes here show both Toto and Lewis are not happy.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has cast doubt on whether Lewis Hamilton will return to F1 next season following the "pain and distress" suffered in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

Asked directly whether he had any doubts about the seven-time champion returning next season and seeing out the two-year extension that was agreed earlier this year, Wolff replied: "Lewis and I are disillusioned at the moment.

"Not disillusioned of the sport, we love this sport with every bone in our body, and we love it because the stopwatch never lies.

But if we break that fundamental principle of sporting fairness and authenticity of the sport, then suddenly the stopwatch doesn't become relevant anymore because we are exposed to random decision making, and it's clear you fall out of love with it.

"You start to question that if all the work you have been putting in, all the sweat, tears and blood can actually be demonstrated, in terms of bringing the best possible performances on track because it can be taken away randomly.

"So it's going to take a long time for us to digest what happened on Sunday. I don't think we will ever get over it. That's not possible, and certainly not for him as a driver.

"I very much hope the two of us, and the rest of the team, work through the events, and we can, with the FIA and F1, utilise the situation to improve the sport going forward.

"But he will never overcome the pain and the distress that was caused on Sunday.

"To be honest, still today, I can't even understand what happened. I'm in disbelief, It still feels surreal."

Wolff simply 'hoping' Hamilton returns

Pushed on whether there was any doubt in his mind Hamilton will return next year, Wolff added: "On a human level it is so difficult because it is so disappointing.

"As I said before, we love this sport but then you start to question. You must never lose the big context of life. Formula 1 is just a sport, much worse things happen out there and we shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking this is the most important thing in the world.

"But it's our little microcosm where we have created values and beliefs and many of those were kicked on Sunday.

"So I would very much hope Lewis continues racing because he is the greatest driver of all time.

"When you look at it from the point of view of the last four races, he was dominant. There wasn't even a doubt who won the race, and that was worthy of winning the world championship.

"So we will be working through the events of the next weeks and months and as a racer, his heart will say 'I need to continue' because he is at the peak of his game.

"But we have to overcome the pain that was caused upon him on Sunday because he is also a man with clear values and that it's difficult to understand that happened."

I wonder if part of this is pressure on the FIA. Change (sack Masi) or Lewis, Toto, and possibly Mercedes, are out?

Link