Formula One - 2021

BOF

Just now, mykeyb said:

As I eluded to earlier overtake has more than one definition in F1 and that cannot be right.

I imagine the reason he wasn’t penalised wasn’t that he didn’t overtake, but that he immediately backed out and un-overtook. Which is relatively consistent with how other things are handled.

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Fair enough imo. Suspect this was just presented to give the FIA an easy way out by handing him a 5-sec penalty which would conveniently give Hamilton the title.

This must have been the thinking behind it. I can’t help but think that whatever decision comes out tonight on the main protest by Mercedes will be a bit irrelevant and that this one is going to run a lot longer yet.

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

I imagine the reason he wasn’t penalised wasn’t that he didn’t overtake, but that he immediately backed out and un-overtook. Which is relatively consistent with how other things are handled.

If you watch the video it looks like Lewis lifted and that left Max slightly infront for about a second. It did mean however that Lewis could take the racing line.

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

As I eluded to earlier overtake has more than one definition in F1 and that cannot be right.

Yep, it was mm anyway and both were on and off the throttle, I'd like to see.though a rule saying you must remain behind the car Infront, if the lead car cannot gain an advantage, the car behind should be the same.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yep, it was mm anyway and both were on and off the throttle, I'd like to see.though a rule saying you must remain behind the car Infront, if the lead car cannot gain an advantage, the car behind should be the same.

That's what the rule should say.

How about - just get rid of the safety car altogether? If there’s a crash serious enough, stop the race at that lap and start again from a rolling start, giving everyone the opportunity to pit.

VSC can handle incidents that only need a lap.

Edited by a m ole

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

They can't overturn it unless they are going to say that the race would've definitely finished with the safety car still out there.

Pretty much. They can't *assume* Lewis would have won in any other circumstance - he could have crashed or had a puncture or anything. Yes the odds are tiny, but they're not zero. I think their only valid option is to say that the race should have finished under safety car conditions. I can't see any way they could penalise Max for anything here.

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

How about - just get rid of the safety car altogether? If there’s a crash serious enough, stop the race at that lap and start again from a rolling start, giving everyone the opportunity to pit.

That would still swing races massively. If you’d just pitted and there was a safety car you’d be screwed.

conversely if you weren’t allowed to pit under a safety car, anyone who had just pitted would get a massive advantage. It’s a tough situation to resolve.

The only thing I'm thinking is that they surely can't just go back to lap 57 and be like that's it. Max loses a world title through no fault of his own, then you've got both Alpha Tauri drivers who lose positions through no fault of their own. 

This is extremely unlikely but what's to say Max wouldn't have still caught Lewis? Very very unlikely but you know. 

Whatever happens now this is going to drag on for months right until the start of the new season.