Formula One - 2021

BOF

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

I don’t think it’s that kind of corruption. It’s incompetence.

He saw the race finishing under a safety car or not having a neck and neck finish as something to be avoided and in the process made a snap decision that was against the rules of the sport, creating an almighty mess. If he’d have stuck to the rules we’d have had a boring finish, moans from red bull but ultimately it wouldn’t have become this unseemly mess.

Not really. Would have still been exciting seeing if Max could get through the traffic with 1 lap to go, tense is a understatement.

19 minutes ago, tinker said:

Could be used again, you could even get your team mate to stop/ crash/ breakdown and instigate the safety car to allow the gap to close .

Good point.  I wonder if anyone has every analysed races to see if something like this has happened. Teams could have a code word to instruct their driver to do something. 

I mean it's obviously ludicrous as the driver would be putting themselves in deliberate danger, but yes it absolutely could be used to manipulate a race. 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Not really. Would have still been exciting seeing if Max could get through the traffic with 1 lap to go, tense is a understatement.

I think we all know that wouldn’t have happened. He wouldn’t have been able to get through the traffic and then take on Hamilton. 

Still, you can’t just invent rules because you want to make the sport more exciting. That way lies madness and proper corruption.

FWIW, I also think they got the decision wrong at the start to let Hamilton off when he went (was forced) off the track.

It’s all just a bit of a shitshow isn’t it?

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Good point.  I wonder if anyone has every analysed races to see if something like this has happened. Teams could have a code word to instruct their driver to do something. 

I mean it's obviously ludicrous as the driver would be putting themselves in deliberate danger, but yes it absolutely could be used to manipulate a race. 

Crashgate. 

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Fwiw I'm pretty certain that the ones footing the bill for this spectacle dd not want the race and championship to end on a yellow flag and damp squib.

We might get to hear Masi on the phone with the team bosses but we certainly will not hear the calls he gets from the ones who runs the show.

That last lap was hardly a spectacle though was it? Guy on a new set of soft tyres overtakes guy on a set of 45 lap old hard tyres. I’m not sure that’s the spectacle people wanted to see.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

YARN | Fluggen-kliggin-kien? | EuroTrip (2004) | Video gifs by quotes |  ff6a0d14 | 紗

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

That last lap was hardly a spectacle though was it? Guy on a new set of soft tyres overtakes guy on a set of 45 lap old hard tyres. I’m not sure that’s the spectacle people wanted to see.

Compared to a yellow flag procession finish I'd say it was.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

So you admit you’re baiting in this thread then jump all over it when I do it? Come on man

Uh, I just asked a question, chill out. Your guy was robbed, not my fault and not the fault of Red Bull fans either.

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It's very much a damp squib because it's not clear cut. Whatever decision is made won't help either.

8 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

It's very much a damp squib because it's not clear cut. Whatever decision is made won't help either.

Yeah there isn’t really a satisfactory way to end the season now. Ridiculous that the decision was made to get to this point.

10 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Who was that again? Some dude deliberately stuck in the wall in Monaco or something, wasn’t it?

Nelson Piquet Jr at Singapore. Gave Alonso a huge advantage to go on and win. 

Edited by Farlz

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I do wonder at what point some of the sponsors start getting edgy.  You've got what clearly is a highly controversial decision entirely designed to engineer not only the outcome of a race but the entire championship.  Something that smells out outright corruption.  And then refuse to do anything to rectify it. 

If I was a sponsor I would be having serious doubts about if this was an organisation I would want to have my name plastered all over. 

as long as the cash keeps rolling in they wont care though will they.

Going to be interesting to see if anything is done, but i also would be shocked if they didnt just brush it under the carpet.

Just now, MaVilla said:

as long as the cash keeps rolling in they wont care though will they.

Going to be interesting to see if anything is done, but i also would be shocked if they didnt just brush it under the carpet.

Surely next season will be a bigger financial blockbuster after this as more people will be interested