VillaTalk GOTY 2020

villa4europe

in light of the other threads popping up in off topic i thought id do a game of the year thread here

been an ok year i think, enjoyed RE3 even though it was short, FF remake was a lot better than i expected, ghosts of tsushima was everything i hoped it would be, the first half of the last of us 2 was incredible, whilst also being disappointed that i cant play hades and HL alyx

the only disappointing games have been fifa and madden which continue to be a non event on career mode

obviously cyberpunk is still to come

i'd give it to the last of us 2, its the most intense game i've maybe ever played, i was on the edge of my seat for so much of it, its a beautiful game with a lot of fixes to the mechanics even if the story dips, its the first game in a long time where i put hours in to it before going to work (having a newborn wake me up helped)

• Like 1

Hades is my game of the year.

Supergiant Games are a studio that learn which makes them unique, it puts them in the upper echelon of studios as most studios don't learn. Most studios have a success and then the next game unless it's a direct sequel never benefits from that gained knowledge. Supergiant are different. Whether you're playing Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, or Hades you're playing something that is a culmination of the game that came before it. Hades sits on a bed of knowledge that doesn't just make it a near flawless game, but it's addictive, it's one of the best rogue-lite experiences ever made and that's huge, because this game came out the same year as Noita and Spelunky 2 which are also incredible rogue-lites. Hades oozes style and class, it deserves its success and then some. 

I'll include some honourable mentions just because this year has been better than just a single outstanding game.

In no specific order;

• Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]
  • Factorio [PC]
  • Noita [PC]
  • Spelunky 2 [PS4/PC]
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox/Switch/PC]
  • The Last of Us: Part II [PS4]
  • Ghost of Tsushima [PS4]

Overall it has been a decent year for gaming. I am sure I could also include Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Cyberpunk 2077 in that list too, but the former is a massive time sink, while the latter isn't even out yet. Usually the last year of a generation is weak with one or two standouts, but this time it has been different and that's a great thing. 

• Like 2

do you know if they will eventually release hades on PS4 / xbox?

i dont want to suggest they're missing out by "only" being on the switch but if they stuck that on the big consoles i feel like it would get a tonne of exposure, put it on game pass and it'll be huge

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

do you know if they will eventually release hades on PS4 / xbox?

i dont want to suggest they're missing out by "only" being on the switch but if they stuck that on the big consoles i feel like it would get a tonne of exposure, put it on game pass and it'll be huge

The last thing I saw on Twitter months ago was they're looking into bringing the game to other platforms, but whether it happens or not is up to them. 

• Like 1

Cook, Serve, Delicious 3

Trails of Cold Steel 4

Fall Guys

Dragon Quest XI S Definitive 

GOTY is FF7R. I still can't quite get over how much I enjoyed it, and even now I still have a hankering to replay it again. 

Hades will pick up GiantBomb's GoTY. It's a strong possibility for the TCGS GoTY as well, although their format being an intentional car crash throws up unusual winners.

Still mulling over what mine is.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dave got hades I think on TCGS so it'll be interesting to see if it wins or they Jack knife it on purpose 

From listening to them it's alsmot definitley their favourite game though 

I don't see them doing that to Hades. They did it a few years ago on Titanfall 2 because only Dave really cared about it and he constantly went on about it so they kinda got him back by taking it out. Hades they basically all like, it's only problem is going to come if it goes up against something like LoU2. Which then just puts it down to luck of the draw.

Seems like some idiot spiked the wildcard poll again though.

With the usual caveat that I'm so far behind that I pretty much wind up playing most games a year out from their release, it's Tony Hawk's 1+2 for me.  Near-perfect nostalgia hit, only criticism I could level is losing the best song from the OG soundtrack.  I've got Outer Worlds waiting to be started at some point, I've high hopes for that from what I've seen/read.

For me, its going to be 1 of 2 games as they are the only ones that I've put in the hours for (other than FM):

Desperados III

TLOS: Part 2

Given everyone else is going to say TLOS, I will go with Desperados III. Great tactical game in the Western setting. Absolutely loved it and enjoying the DLC as well (which don't normally bother with to be honest). Really enjoyed TLOS, but it was quite emotionally draining. 

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I've got Outer Worlds waiting to be started at some point, I've high hopes for that from what I've seen/read.

Absolutely loved that game - great story and characters / great setting / very reminiscent of Fallout New Vegas / Fallout 4 / a really **** subtle and sometimes bloody dark sense of humour.

A belter.

• Like 2

Â