Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Leeds will be the favourites if he is allowed to leave on loan.  Apparently they tried to loan him in the summer. 

He almost signed for Leeds a window before he got snatched up by United too (in case anyone didn’t know).

All this talk of character is interesting and I think it's crucial part of our recruitment plans.

Just look at the team spirit and how well the players who came in the summer fitted in. All seem to be hard working players that work well in a group. I think Dean, Lange and co look very hard at the personality of potential targets. I wouldn't worry about us bringing in the "wrong kind of player".

If you had asked me 6 months ago I'd be all over Daniel James. I think I even mentioned him in the transfer thread at that point. While he is more of a left winger than right winger IIRC,  he also has pace and directness that we could use. 

I do however think we're past the point of signing his quality. We have shown ourselves to be such a good team this season, we can go for a higher calibre player now. Trez, AEG and Traore are fine as rotational options, but we need that level above. 

Not to mention that the less business we do with manchester united, the better. 

We definitely need a quality right winger mind. Traore isn't that man. Traore has been fairly solid in December and much better than I anticipated, but he looks like a CAM to me, not a right winger. And when we got so many player who like to move inwards with the ball, we could do with a winger on the right that can go on the outside. Ideally with a lot of pace. We play so incredibly narrow at times, so it's no wonder Watkins are struggling some matches. 

49 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If you had asked me 6 months ago I'd be all over Daniel James. I think I even mentioned him in the transfer thread at that point. While he is more of a left winger than right winger IIRC,  he also has pace and directness that we could use. 

I do however think we're past the point of signing his quality. We have shown ourselves to be such a good team this season, we can go for a higher calibre player now. Trez, AEG and Traore are fine as rotational options, but we need that level above. 

Not to mention that the less business we do with manchester united, the better. 

We definitely need a quality right winger mind. Traore isn't that man. Traore has been fairly solid in December and much better than I anticipated, but he looks like a CAM to me, not a right winger. And when we got so many player who like to move inwards with the ball, we could do with a winger on the right that can go on the outside. Ideally with a lot of pace. We play so incredibly narrow at times, so it's no wonder Watkins are struggling some matches. 

Watford winger Ismaila Sarr reveals he turned down Barcelona offer in 2017  to join Rennes

18 hours ago, maqroll said:

Buendia not for sale, says Farke. And why would he be when they are chasing promotion?

Rubbish Norwich are a selling club, if the right offer came in they would sell. He can Farke off!

• Like 2

Unless there is a great bargain that would come up: Should not the focus be on a LB, CB and striker?

Hourihane, Kalinic, Engels and Guilbert are the ones who could be on their way out. 

With Ramseys performances so far I do not believe we need another CM, wingers we are more than covered. We sorely need a better player than Taylor that can compete with Targett, and Watkins need relief/competition. CB we only have 3 players atm, what happens if we get two injuries? (Engels has not played in forever, so I do not count him atm)

Left back is the position that we should be looking to either add depth or improve. Wonder what left backs are realistically feasible given that he is:

- Under the age of 25

- Instant upgrade to Targett

- Wants to come to Villa of course

A wildcard I thought of would be Junior Firpo, who didn’t really impress in Barcelona but might revive in a brand new club. Wouldn’t call it an ‘instant upgrade’ though.

Edited by hong0311
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

Left back is the position that we should be looking to either add depth or improve. Wonder what left backs are realistically feasible given that he is:

- Under the age of 25

A wildcard I thought of would be Junior Firpo, who didn’t really impress in Barcelona but might revive in a brand new club.

Firpo linked with West Ham and Wolves.

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

James would probably have to take a pay cut if he moved to Villa. Can't see that happening.

Maybe, maybe not!  We are paying Barkley's wages so if we wanted Dan James (and I have no reason to believe that is true or even interested) then we would think he is good enough and thus pay his weekly wage. 

We are starting to pay players in those kind of areas as you'll see below and various reports put Dan James at between 60-80k per week.

https://www.spotrac.com/Premier League/aston-villa-fc/payroll/

2020 Active Roster

PLAYER (27)
POS.
ANNUAL SALARY
WEEKLY SALARY
Jack Grealish M 24   £6,240,000 £120,000
Ross Barkley  M 26   £5,000,000 £96,154
Tyrone Mings D 26   £4,160,000 £80,000
Bertrand Traoré F 24   £4,056,000 £78,000
Ollie Watkins F 24   £3,900,000 £75,000
Matty Cash D 22   £3,380,000 £65,000

15 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

- Under the age of 25

A wildcard I thought of would be Junior Firpo, who didn’t really impress in Barcelona but might revive in a brand new club. Wouldn’t call it an ‘instant upgrade’ though.

I think we should be looking to replace Taylor, so would go for depth. I don't think we'll be spending big bucks on a player this Jan, and it would cost a fair whack and be pretty unfair on Targett to sign a replacement. He's probably our most improved player in the last year. 

15 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Firpo linked with West Ham and Wolves.

I am pretty sure every squad player or youngster from the top European clubs is linked with West Ham. Has been like that for about 10 years now 😂

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I am pretty sure every squad player or youngster from the top European clubs is linked with West Ham. Has been like that for about 10 years now 😂

True 😂

Fairly sure my great uncle was linked with them last window as he mentioned to me in earshot of Alexa that he could "do a job for them on the left" and this was picked up by illegal means by the Wet Spam scouting team. 

He's 83.

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think we should be looking to replace Taylor, so would go for depth. I don't think we'll be spending big bucks on a player this Jan, and it would cost a fair whack and be pretty unfair on Targett to sign a replacement. He's probably our most improved player in the last year. 

While I'm not disagreeing with you, I would like to move away from the transfer policy of buying back up players. 

We should be buying players to go into the first XI and making the current incumbent the back up. 

We are a good team but far from a great team so we have to continue to grow organically but also through acquisition. 

Jack is our only world class players therefore we always have players elsewhere in the first team that can be replaced.  

I'm not advocating replacing players, especially as I love the growth and improvement in a lot of them but we shouldn't be blindly loyal to them and if we want to continue growing then we need to keep improving quality even if that is replacing or making back up players we like. 

Buying back up players really doesnt advance you much apart from cover for injuries, form, tiredness and suspensions, the "at least" you should buy is an "alternative" so it becomes a managers headache of who should play and not a foregone conclusion, which we currently have for most positions.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I'm not disagreeing with you, I would like to move away from the transfer policy of buying back up players. 

We should be buying players to go into the first XI and making the current incumbent the back up. 

We are a good team but far from a great team so we have to continue to grow organically but also through acquisition. 

Jack is our only world class players therefore we always have players elsewhere in the first team that can be replaced.  

I'm not advocating replacing players, especially as I love the growth and improvement in a lot of them but we shouldn't be blindly loyal to them and if we want to continue growing then we need to keep improving quality even if that is replacing or making back up players we like. 

Buying back up players really doesnt advance you much apart from cover for injuries, form, tiredness and suspensions, the "at least" you should buy is an "alternative" so it becomes a managers headache of who should play and not a foregone conclusion, which we currently have for most positions.

I think the entire fan base would agree with the sentiment that Martinez is most definitely world class. 

Other than that I totally agree with you, we should be aiming for better and using our new found progress as a launching pad to attract the caliber of player that we couldn't before. 

19 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

True 😂

Fairly sure my great uncle was linked with them last window as he mentioned to me in earshot of Alexa that he could "do a job for them on the left" and this was picked up by illegal means by the Wet Spam scouting team. 

He's 83.

Probably more mobility than Noble 😁😁