Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Klopp moaning about squads and subs every game won't be letting his most versatile player leave 

And of course were not a title rival, what we are is a young team, playing good football on both sides of the ball who on their day can give the whole league a game, we'd be an attractive proposition for any loan that we wanted, we're not a direct rival but we can beat the rivals, Liverpool giving us milner could actually strengthen their own title push

And if he leaves in the summer his agents phone would be red hot, should number 1 on the list for all the newly promoted clubs, break the bank and get him, all of the relegation threatened clubs, and then the likes of arsenal who have professionalism problems

As for us I think he'd have been a key signing last Jan with our problems but this Jan I'm not so sure, I dont think we need him if I'm honest, he'd be a luxury for us, a good old head on the training pitch who we'd get a lot from there but not so much on a Saturday afternoon, he'd be 4th choice CM and at this stage of his career that'd be no good for him 

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We are not even half way through the season yet, and these are the things we would take the piss out of opposition fans for.

We are doing extremely well and all signs are positive but their is a thin line between acknowledgement and delusion IMO.

We very well could finish top 6, top 4, win the league etc who knows. Equally we could also go on a bad run and finish Bottom 10.

Premature delusions of grandeur is just setting ourselves up for failure, dissappointment and pisstaking if it goes the other way.

I highly doubt last season the top 6 viewed Sheffield United or Wolves as a long term " Rival " , granted our status/celing is much stronger than Sheffield etc but as an example.

Obviously these things can change but way too premature currently.

It takes consistency and more than 14 games of a season to suddenly be considered a serious rival to the likes of current Premier League and European Champions.

I dont think we will understand what this team is until we have a full season under our belt. The signs are good, we have good balance, a young developing team and creating chances, couple that with willing and capable owners it is exciting and understandable to start dreaming.

From here top 6 is achievable but a massive ask given the experience and resources of others at that end of the table. Top half has to be expected now surely, bottom half would be a disappointment given our start, position and level of performance so far.

What is clear though is our squad needs quality on the bench and competition which we just dont have and that is a clear differentiator to the traditional top 6 sides. That is going to take quote a few years with FFP. Hats off to the whole club for their planning, bravery and what we have achieved so far, it bodes well and allows us to dream once more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr.Messy said:

There will be no signings from overseas. Isn't there currently a ban on anyone leaving the UK? I can't see many choosing to enter this country/travel either. I predict a very boring transfer window.

There isn’t a travel ban on leaving the UK, just certain countries banning the entry of UK citizens (broadly).

So it’s perfectly possible for EU players to fly into the UK and then be allowed back into their respective EU country.

Ultimately money talks and so if a deal works the current flight restrictions largely won’t matter. What the rules will be in mid/end Jan who knows.

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Struggling to see it? Let me riddle you this. Our decade of misery has come to an end, whether it be briefly or ultimately, it's taken a hiatus for the now. It has been replaced with a competitive and strong outfit, whom are ready to take on the league, and anybody who makes up the numbers in it. So, with that in mind, how do we define this season? By the misery and shortcomings of the last decade, or by what's been laid before us all? Of course, the here and now defines this season. And this season we are currently fifth and in European placing, two wins from first place, which is currently held by a team we've only beaten this campaign, by a sum of ten goals. That, my friends, is definition of a rival.

We're absolutely not a rival of Liverpool's - that is beyond delusions of grandeur stuff.  We're having a very good season but could easily be mid table after our next 3 games (Man Utd, Spurs, Everton).

What we are is a competitive side in the league this season.  We could finish top half if we keep it up which would be excellent given where we were 2 seasons ago.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We are not even half way through the season yet, and these are the things we would take the piss out of opposition fans for.

We are doing extremely well and all signs are positive but their is a thin line between acknowledgement and delusion IMO.

We very well could finish top 6, top 4, win the league etc who knows. Equally we could also go on a bad run and finish Bottom 10.

Premature delusions of grandeur is just setting ourselves up for failure, dissappointment and pisstaking if it goes the other way.

I highly doubt last season the top 6 viewed Sheffield United or Wolves as a long term " Rival " , granted our status/celing is much stronger than Sheffield etc but as an example.

Obviously these things can change but way too premature currently.

It takes consistency and more than 14 games of a season to suddenly be considered a serious rival to the likes of current Premier League and European Champions.

very good post.

In all honesty, for me:

Top 4 - almost impossible, but if achieved would be the best performance from a Villa manager/team since i have supported them.

Top 6 - would be dreamland stuff also tbh, again i think its highly unlikely.

7th to 8th - Would be an amazing season, way above expectations.

9th to 10th - This would be what i would probably class as a "very good  second season for us".

11th to 12th - For where we are currently, this would probably be acceptable, but still ok considering last season, and only our second season back in the prem.

13th to 14th - probably below expectation, but also not the end of the world.

15th to 17th - failure in terms of outcome versus early form (first 15 odd games), only a success in terms of avoiding relegation.

18th to 20th - i dont think we will be relegated, so eh.

Honestly, i think we will probably finish somewhere between 8th and 12th, and i would be happy with that for our second season.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

Who out of this list in this article would you like to join Villa in January or the Summer and who would be a real possibility of agreeing to sign with us you reckon.

Article: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-rumours-19538552

28 Players names in that Article: 

La Liga

Lionel Messi - Barcelona

Sergio Ramos - Real Madrid

Lucas Vazquez - Real Madrid

Franco Vazquez - Sevilla

Tomas Vaclik - Sevilla

Bundesliga

David Alaba - Bayern Munich

Jerome Boateng - Bayern Munich

Javi Martinez - Bayern Munich

Robin Quaison - Mainz

Rani Khedira - FC Augsburg

Yannick Gerhardt - Wolfsburg

Serie A

Hakan Calhanoglu - AC Milan

Arkadiusz Milik - Napoli

Henrikh Mkhitaryan - Roma

Nikola Maksimovic - Napoli

Elseid Hysaj - Napoli

Danilo D’Ambrosio - Inter Milan

Nicolas N’Koulou - Torino

Ligue 1

Memphis Depay - Lyon

Angel Di Maria - PSG

Florian Thauvin - Marseille

Juan Bernat - PSG

Jordan Amavi - Marseille

Kenny Lala - Strasbourg

Youssouf Sabaly - Bordeaux

Pablo - Bordeaux

Stevan Jovetic - AS Monaco

Pedro Mendes - Montpellier

Arsenal today been linked to Jovic and Isco. Are we signing either of them? Even with their two wins they're still a bottom half team so miles off Liverpool's standing.

I think there's a middle ground  regarding signings and we're starting to rise up the ranks now getting in Barkley.

Obviously we'll continue looking at championship as that's actually served us well in last two years (Cash, Watkins, Konsa etc) but think we can start signing better players from european teams now as Leicester and Wolves have done over last 3 years.

Lots of good players in Italy and France as listed above who'd improve our squad and first 11.

42 minutes ago, sne said:

Couple of those obviously impossible for us to sign while others are not good enough but Florian Thauvin &  Robin Quaison would not be bad pick ups.

Milik fits the bill of targetman striker with excellent pedigree although don't think he's been the same since he got a bad injury a few years ago?

That sort of signing would again scream big ambition. Still only 26 and 11  goals in Serie A last season plus hat trick in champions league.

No idea what's happened this season as only games he's seemed to have played is for Poland.

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bring Amavi home. lol

Got no clue how he has been doing.

He got called up by France and played in europa final a year after leaving us so doing o.k.

He'd be a brilliant fit in a DS team imo but Targett is doing pretty well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Milik fits the bill of targetman striker with excellent pedigree although don't think he's been the same since he got a bad injury a few years ago?

That sort of signing would again scream big ambition. Still only 26 and 11  goals in Serie A last season plus hat trick in champions league.

No idea what's happened this season as only games he's seemed to have played is for Poland.

Yup, but I think we are not quite at his level yet. Clubs like Atletico Madrid, Juve, Spurs and Everton are interested apparently. But he's not a impossible signing.

He's not been registered this season by Napoli after a falling out when he didn't get a move this summer. He's currently on about £80k/w at Napoli and I think he'll want a lot more from his next club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yup, but I think we are not quite at his level yet. Clubs like Atletico Madrid, Juve, Spurs and Everton are interested apparently. But he's not a impossible signing.

He's not been registered this season by Napoli after a falling out when he didn't get a move this summer. He's currently on about £80k/w at Napoli and I think he'll want a lot more from his next club.

Yeah heard Juve last summer but they signed Morata instead so assume that ends their interest while Ronaldo is still playing. Spurs maybe but he'd just be backup there which is why they've never signed anyone decent as they know Kane will also start when fit.

Think it's worth asking the question for six month loan (although being out of contract probably stops that) as he'll surely want to play somewhere to get more up to speed for the euros.