Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

3 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

A quality loan signing for a striker trying to regain a national team place ahead of the Euros sounds ideal to me.

That kind of player is going to want to start games. We need someone to be back up and push watkins. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

A striker is the only area we are desperate for. 

With Trez and Barkley coming back, our bench looks a lot stronger. 

Taylor is gash so we need cover for Targett. We also need cover for Douglas.

18 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

but I feel if we get into the top two we will stay there and playing you boys next season.

If Villa play Brentford no ones going to have a clue which way they are shooting!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That kind of player is going to want to start games. We need someone to be back up and push watkins. 

The effort Watkins gives means he doesn’t need pushing.

Back up for certain to cover any injury.

9 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Unpopular opinion perhaps but id let Trez go and go all out for Rashica.

Why would we let a player go right now? Trez has been great for us in the last few months, he may now find it tough to get back into the first eleven but he's a useful squad player.

Rashica didn't want to join us in the Summer, it's his loss now. I hope we have moved on with our targets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

In the post match interview today Deano was asked outright by Le Saux and Townsend if we'd be bringing anyone in. To paraphrase him he said only if the deal was right. But then he added when it comes to transfers we've always got our finger on the pulse.

Sounds likely to me.

One important thing to add was what he said regarding the building up of squads. To paraphrase he said something along the lines of it takes 3/4 seasons to get to the squad you want with the options that are needed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

One important thing to add was what he said regarding the building up of squads. To paraphrase he said something along the lines of it takes 3/4 seasons to get to the squad you want with the options that are needed.

Very good point, I'd forgotten that.

1 hour ago, rayk said:

I hope not. Would be great cover for Douglas at DCM. Isn’t he out of contract in the summer, so loan and then sign him of a free?

Would be smart business imo.

Vecino hasnt played 90 minutes in a league game in nearly a year and hasnt made the bench all season at Inter through injury

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, a-k said:

I have also been thinking about an experienced striker on loan or short-term deal, but other than Mandzukic, who hasn't played in months and would cost a boatload, I'm struggling to think of any. Would be great for Watkins (and Davis) to have an experienced, classy forward to learn from. Someone else previously mentioned bringing in a top forward coach, which is also an option, but also don't know who may be available there either.

I don't know any either. I used to watch nearly every league. But recently I've only sporadically been watching the French league in addition to our games.

4 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Very good point, I'd forgotten that.

What that tells me is .... Incooommmiiinnnggg!!! 🤣 

Maybe there's an unknown Scandinavian striker that Lange will pull out the hat. We definitely do need someone to push and take the weight off Ollie.

Edited by Sulberto21

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Vecino hasnt played 90 minutes in a league game in nearly a year and hasnt made the bench all season at Inter through injury

True.....maybe he’s back from injury though now?

Obviously, no point buying / bringing in on loan an injured player.

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

True.....maybe he’s back from injury though now?

Obviously, no point buying / bringing in on loan an injured player.

He had surgery and was supposed to return in November but still down as injured. Its not worth the risk

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Why would we let a player go right now? Trez has been great for us in the last few months, he may now find it tough to get back into the first eleven but he's a useful squad player.

Rashica didn't want to join us in the Summer, it's his loss now. I hope we have moved on with our targets.

Let’s not get carried away ... I would hardly say Trez has been GREAT. He’s been ok..not great. And why wouldn’t you want to upgrade on a player if we had a genuine chance to push for top4. In truth the way the league is with Covid and no fans coupled with our excellent form I’m starting to think we may not get a better chance to break into the top 4, so if there’s the slightest chance we can upgrade our squad I’m all for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Let’s not get carried away ... I would hardly say Trez has been GREAT. He’s been ok..not great. And why wouldn’t you want to upgrade on a player if we had a genuine chance to push for top4. In truth the way the league is with Covid and no fans coupled with our excellent form I’m starting to think we may not get a better chance to break into the top 4, so if there’s the slightest chance we can upgrade our squad I’m all for it.

Agree with you on the upgrading the squad. It's something I hope we press on with in January, just one player could be the key to maintaining our form for the rest of the season. I'm not sure where we need to improve currently in the first 11 though.

For me we don't need to be selling anyone though, squad depth has the potential to be our main weakness this season. So far we've come through unscathed but there's some way to go yet.

• Like 1