Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

For me our biggest needs going forward (and not necessarily for immediately in January) are: 

CM - Dougie could be forcibly bought back by City at any moment (even if only to be sold on, although less likely now with our improved form and standing). Conor and Nakamba are both OK but we have a small chance to push for Europe. If McGinn or Luiz get injured we need better than those two.

I'd like Teun Koopmeiners, young DM at AZ. Affordable and is on the up, suits us perfectly and could settle in well. Gives us options and atleast a plan at DM if Dougie was to go.

LB - Targett has really surprised me this season particularly the last few games. But Taylor needs to go and - unless we lose Guilbert and replace them both with one utility fullback - we should replace with somebody who can genuinely compete with Targett.

Staying with the AZ theme, Owen Wijndal is also a bit of an up and comer, who at 21 has already broken into the Netherlands national side.

Striker - I like Watkins, Davis and Wesley but none of them are particularly prolific just yet (believe Watkins and Wesley will be very good buys though). I think we should loan Davis out and then loan a striker in, or sign a free agent. I'm at a complete loss as to who, but I think buying a £10m striker a la Samatta is unnecessary and we can't have a third £20/30m Striker. Maybe Mario Mandzukic will come out of retirement to sit on our bench 🤣

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I keep looking at Saka and thinking how good he will be, probably unrealistic but as I posted previously they could be tempted to sell a young player to raise funds to strengthen. They were close to selling one to Wolves in the summer.

Yeah he'd be fantastic. I posted something about him after that England (in November?) game where he and Grealish flourished together. Seems like he's as good on the right as on the left which would make him an even better signing. 

Sadly I imagine he's someone they are going to hang on to.

Just now, sne said:

Yeah he'd be fantastic. I posted something about him after that England (in November?) game where he and Grealish flourished together. Seems like he's as good on the right as on the left which would make him an even better signing. 

Sadly I imagine he's someone they are going to hang on to.

You would think but I’d still try, I think he is an absolute star in the making and one of the best young English players. Massively unlikely to happed though I concede.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You would think but I’d still try, I think he is an absolute star in the making and one of the best young English players. Massively unlikely to happed though I concede.

I'm all up for that.

From the rumor mill it sounds like they might try to raise funds by selling Bellerin and Maitland-Niles instead thou and I'm not too keen on either. 

31 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I think we need another CB in the window as we are covered pretty well everywhere else in terms of numbers. 

Id like however:

Unknown LB

Unknown CB

Confirmation of Barkley

Koopmeiners from AZ

Rashica

Whoever is the next Eze, Cash, Bowen, Watkins from the Championship

Snap on Koopmeiners, think he'd suit is brilliantly, would be achievable and wouldn't be expected to immediately replace either Luiz or McGinn but has the potential to and could also slot in quickly and comfortably if needed

5 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm all up for that.

From the rumor mill it sounds like they might try to raise funds by selling Bellerin and Maitland-Niles instead thou and I'm not too keen on either.

I wouldn’t touch Bellerin and we have no need but Maitland-Niles is decent.

Arsenal aren’t in the strongest position though in the market. Maitland-Niles was the one that almost went to Wolves for £20m in the summer, he can play in a number of positions so for that sort of fee I’d be tempted. He is a good age at 23 as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

It’s the first window in years I’ve actually been thinking of backup players.

We need a LB backup.  If target gets injured or suspended, we have an awful replacement in Taylor.

The way El Ghazi and Hause have come back better I half expect Taylor to play like Roberto Carlos if he gets a go.

• Haha 3

We have Wesley to come back but who knows.. it was a really bad injury and many players just aren’t the same afterwards; if an opportunity to sign another striker comes up I hope we take it. Don’t particularly rate Davis at this level and whilst I like Watkins if he gets injured we are in big trouble. I know Traore has been suggested to play there but I’d prefer a 9. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

For the first time in as long as I can remember, and this is a f***** good thing, I genuinely don’t know which first team position needs improving. 

We look solid across all areas of the pitch. The back 4 is excellent. The midfield two of McGinn and Luiz is balanced and brings energy and calm. Grealish is ripping teams apart, the wingers can’t stop scoring and we don’t want to bring anyone in up top to hamper Watkins development. 

Obviously there are players out there that would improve us, but I just wouldn’t change this team at the moment. Yes we can add depth but we shouldn’t be doing it for the sake of it. The way you get better is by bringing in players that are better than the current XI, thus relegating first team players to the bench. That competition then breeds good performances. Look at Hause, Trezeguet and El Ghazi this season. I argued black and blue that these weren’t good enough for us last season at times (I rate Hause more than others on here) but look how they’ve performed when they’ve come into the team? Trezeguet has been much improved knowing Traore has been brought in. El Ghazi has excellent knowing if he doesn’t perform we have Grealish waiting to be shifted over to the left and Hause has come in and kept 3 clean sheets in a row - NOT a coincidence. 
They’re performing at these levels because they know it’s their shot to nail down a place in the knowledge that if they don’t perform, they’ll be back on the bench. 

Like I say, there are players out there that will improve us, but surely they’ll cost more than 30m? 

So happy with this Villa side at the moment. 

I totally agree with this. If we sign anybody it should be young up and coming players who can add squad competition with an eye to being starters in the next 12 to 18 months.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I wouldn’t touch Bellerin and we have no need but Maitland-Niles is decent.

Arsenal aren’t in the strongest position though in the market. Maitland-Niles was the one that almost went to Wolves for £20m in the summer, he can play in a number of positions so for that sort of fee I’d be tempted. He is a good age at 23 as well.

Rumor is Atletico are looking at him to replace Kieran Trippier while he serves his 10 week ban. Guess this will be a loan.

Arsenal have a interesting year coming up facing a 5th straight season with no CL money (unless they win the EL) and a rebuild that has to happen in a balanced way with a manager who has no experience in such stuff. If they go all youth it will not work. They will make mistakes along the way. Selling Saka to us would be a glorious one :D 

Edit: I'd also look at Tariq Lamptey if Brighton are relegated, but I imagine so would every other PL club too.

Edited by sne

17 minutes ago, thejoker said:

We’re in a great position this window. We don’t actually need anybody in January - so we can’t be held to ransom. If one of the targets becomes available then we do it, if not we wait until the summer.

I agree with this, we don’t want to pay over the odds but big squad clubs wanting anyone will want to sell players and some clubs could be struggling cash wise in the EFL.

Buendia is yet again playing very well at the top of the championship. Whether Norwich will want to sell is another matter

13 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

I agree with this, we don’t want to pay over the odds but big squad clubs wanting anyone will want to sell players and some clubs could be struggling cash wise in the EFL.

Buendia is yet again playing very well at the top of the championship. Whether Norwich will want to sell is another matter

With the caveat that I don't know the financial situations of the clubs I doubt that any of the most realistic contenders for promotion from the Championship like Norwich, Bournemouth, (Brentford) & Watford will be selling their leading players in January. The stakes are just too high to gamble unless their imminent financial situation is dire. Brentford probably fine either way but the relegated clubs are promotion or total rebuild with a whole lot less money due to Covid.

• Like 1

Been reading up on Koopmeiners and watching highlight reels and IMO he appears to be exactly what we need as team. His versatility and eye and accuracy with long balls is perfect for our play and takes pressure off Mings hoof balls for example. https://smarterscout.com/articles/teun-koopmeiners

He's got skills, too. He's probably a better tackler than two thirds of Premier League DMs, and he's also outstanding in the air on dead balls. In terms of style, Koopmeiners offers a great mix of short and long passes, and can also take the ball forward himself.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-teun-koopmeiners/

Koopmeiners is an essential cog in AZ’s build-up play, currently completing 7.1 long balls per 90 with a 55% long ball accuracy. The 22-year-old has a sublime ability on the ball and his distribution allows AZ to work their way out of the counter-press,

• Like 1

I can see why most teams dont spend big in Jan, i wonder how much money we have to spend this window?

Im kind of torn, but there is the saying "invest while on the up", im wondering if while we seem to be doing very well we should push the boat out to try and make a really high profile signing (or a high quality signing i mean)?

We could probably wait until the summer, but if we drop off we might not be quite so enticing as we might appear in this Jan window?, dunno.......

I still think the defence is light in numbers. Elmo is a great pro (probably the best £1m we've ever spent) but must surely be heading to the twilight of his career, so we have 3 center backs (I'm rightly or wrongly not including Engels) and little cover at fullback. 

January may be an opportunity to bring in defensive cover as first 11 improvements are notoriously difficult to acquire mid season. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

While Saka might be unrealistic maybe we can raid Arsenal for Folarin Balogun who is out of contract in the summer. 19 y.o American/English kid who can play the front 3 and has played in the Europa League and scored this season and is bossing it for their U23 side. 

Apparently Liverpool are interested but surely Villa is the place to be.

Should add I've only seen him play once and that was for maybe 20 mins in the Europa League :D 

I mentioned him last season, when he was being linked with Brentford... Sounds like he is bound for the bundesliga though. Cannot see Saka being sold and perhaps a more realistic target from them would be Kieran Tiereny -again highly unrealistic but imo more so than Saka. 

They won't buy a striker because Wesley is coming back.

Because AEG, Hause and Traore have played well and Barkley and Trez will return from injury soon, and our position in the table and relative safety, I think it's possible there will be no incoming January transfers.

• Like 2