Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

4 hours ago, Villastine said:

We should try to get Todd Cantwell from Norwich. 

Fantastic player and might actually be getable with a significant bid.

Didn't think Cantwell would stay at Norwich when they went down. He's a good player, physically needs to improve though. Would make our squad better, push guys that would be obviously ahead of him if we got him. Nothing wrong with that though.

4 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

I would much prefer Angelino off Man City than Zinchenko

Why? They’re the same age and yet Zinchenko is proven in the Prem, Angelino not felt good enough for the English game (all loans overseas) let alone the Prem.

It’s early days in this season but on our current trajectory, we look like we could easily jump 7-8 league positions for the second season running. That’s reflective of a rapidly improving outfit and should see us quickly outgrowing the sort of players we have been linked with in recent windows. I don’t see us buying squad players to sit on the bench but it’s also difficult to see how we can improve much of our first 11 without moving onto another calibre of player, which is what I expect to see next from this beautiful juggernaut. Maybe not this winter but hopefully in the summer. I think marquee signings are on their way, with Champions League football to follow! 

39 minutes ago, rayk said:

Norwich aren’t going to be selling any players with automatic promotion in their grasp. I’m amazed that people think otherwise.

Norwich are a selling club, they said it themselves, if a suitable bid comes in any of their players would be sold.

The question is whether a bid they deem suitable is put in.

Just now, MaVilla said:

Norwich are a selling club, they said it themselves, if a suitable bid comes in any of their players would be sold.

The question is whether a bid they deem suitable is put in.

What’s more valuable to them......promotion or £20m for a player that they will still be able to get in the summer if they fail to get promotion?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

What’s more valuable to them......promotion or £20m for a player that they will still be able to get in the summer if they fail to get promotion?

They can still get promoted without Cantwell...he's starting 6 games all season.

Key for them is keeping Buendia and Pukki for rest of the season and that's play offs as a minimum.

5 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

It’s early days in this season but on our current trajectory, we look like we could easily jump 7-8 league positions for the second season running. That’s reflective of a rapidly improving outfit and should see us quickly outgrowing the sort of players we have been linked with in recent windows. I don’t see us buying squad players to sit on the bench but it’s also difficult to see how we can improve much of our first 11 without moving onto another calibre of player, which is what I expect to see next from this beautiful juggernaut. Maybe not this winter but hopefully in the summer. I think marquee signings are on their way, with Champions League football to follow! 

Good post and I’m with you on most of it. But you don’t buy players.....or should I say good players....to just sit on the bench. Good players come in, add competition so that whoever is in the first 11 has been pushed hard for their place. And of course when injuries come along (as they always do) good players on the bench can just drop straight in and then it’s their shirt to lose.

I still think our bench is pretty weak.

In terms of that next level of player, I think it’s gonna be tough going. Barkley is going to cost £50m and I think he’ll be our only marquee singing, with hopefully two or three £25m signings who will improve the squad.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They can still get promoted without Cantwell...he's starting 6 games all season.

Key for them is keeping Buendia and Pukki for rest of the season and that's play offs as a minimum.

From what I have just read he’s had some injuries, distracted by transfer speculation in the last window but is now playing himself back into the team.

I just don’t think Norwich would sell him a given where they are.

On 19/12/2020 at 10:56, TrentVilla said:

I'd love Villa to test Arsenal with a serious offer for Saka in January and/or the summer, he would be perfect for us.

They obviously wouldn't be looking to sell but they need a huge rebuild so would be good to tempt them with a big offer.

I've been thinking about this myself - ever since I saw Saka and Grealish playing together for England. They were on the same wavelength and seemed to be enjoying playing together.

Obviously in modern history Arsenal would be see as the bigger club but they so seem in an awful mess since Wenger left. I wonder if they'd entertain an offer and how much it would take?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I've been thinking about this myself - ever since I saw Saka and Grealish playing together for England. They were on the same wavelength and seemed to be enjoying playing together.

Obviously in modern history Arsenal would be see as the bigger club but they so seem in an awful mess since Wenger left. I wonder if they'd entertain an offer and how much it would take?

Why do people think Saka is interested in moving from London to Brum? My experience is that players aren't. 

Then again we're better than Arsenal and we did sign Emi.

See... now you got me all confused and excited.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why do people think Saka is interested in moving from London to Brum? My experience is that players aren't. 

Then again we're better than Arsenal and we did sign Emi.

See... now you got me all confused and excited.

Grealish convinced Barkley to move up here for now.

If you were a good young player on the books of a Rome club going nowhere and had the chance to play with Maradona* in Napoli what would you do?

*I'm 3 drinks in

Edited by TheAuthority

24 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Grealish convinced Barkley to move up here for now.

If you were a good young player on the books of a Rome club going nowhere and had the chance to play with Maradona* in Napoli what would you do?

*I'm 3 drinks in

I'd play for Roma tbh, but see your point.

The giallorossi are in many ways very similar to AVFC methinks

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 hours ago, rayk said:

Good post and I’m with you on most of it. But you don’t buy players.....or should I say good players....to just sit on the bench. Good players come in, add competition so that whoever is in the first 11 has been pushed hard for their place. And of course when injuries come along (as they always do) good players on the bench can just drop straight in and then it’s their shirt to lose.

I still think our bench is pretty weak.

In terms of that next level of player, I think it’s gonna be tough going. Barkley is going to cost £50m and I think he’ll be our only marquee singing, with hopefully two or three £25m signings who will improve the squad.

All the best teams have good players sat on the bench. That’s why they’re the best.  That’s why they want to be able to use 5 subs, because they’d get to freshen up their team during a game with 5 fresh players that could’ve easily been in the starting 11 and are still superior to most opponents starting 11. 

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Arsenal are in the shit, they won't be selling their best youth product to us, their fans would riot

And that's before you ask him if he'd like to come which would be a no, the liklihood of arsenal turning it around and getting CL again in the next 5 years is still higher than us getting it 

But that's not to say no one would leave them for us, willock, Nelson, maybe even AMN, or nketiah, Smith-Rowe but he's really highly rated, I just don't see it with saka as he's the best out of the lot 

For me arsenal's problem is not with the home grown lads and they'd be mad to let any of them go, if I was an arsenal fan id rather see lacazette go to another PL for free then let one of their youngsters go 

Had a look at sakas wiki to see where he was born, thing of interest was that he made his debut for arsenal in the EL vs vorskla poltava... Said before us sneaking the EL would be massive for Barry, carney et al

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1