North vs South (...and the Midlands)

mjmooney

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

A friend of mine always insisted that the South was literally only London and everywhere South East of London.

Speaking as a Brummie, that's obviously bollocks. Also it's evident there's a distinct 'Midlands' that doesn't fit the North South dichotomy.

It depends on the context of the discussion really. In the debates we often have on here about government funding and so on, including the one that started off this topic, it's very much London and the South east Vs the rest of the country.

Westminster gives no more of a shit about Portsmouth than it does Manchester.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Where I live would be a lovely seaside town if it wasn't for the bloody Welsh!! 😠😠 

Oh, here’s a handy tip, **** off and go **** yourself when you get there.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

How one pronounced ‘grass’ or ‘path’ is the best indicator.

The correct way is with a short a of course which is how Brummies say it.

Some weird geordies pronounce those the southern way. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And where's @tonyh29 with his 'coal in the bath' stuff? 

I'm way behind on threads at the moment as I've been real busy at work these past few months so not posted much , not even seen the post that lead to the formation of this thread ..

But , it is 2020 and even I know northerners are more enlightened  have progressed from keeping coal in the bath and progressed to this  bath bathing GIF

• Like 2

Another one that I only recently noticed actually is pronunciation of ‘none’.

Northerners and Midlanders tend to say ‘non’ whereas Southerners say ‘nun’.

Edited by Wainy316

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Northerners and Midlanders Rebs to say ‘non’ whereas Southerners say ‘nun’.

'Nun' would be the correct way surely? I've never really noticed anyone saying it 'non'

My wife's family is from Oldham and me and some blurks got into a discussion about this.  They were absolutely insistent that Birmingham was not northern.  Which I agreed with but asserted that absolutely no way was I southern which they also agreed with. 

The general consensus is the The Midlands is called The Midlands for very good reason. 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Northerners and Midlanders Rebs to say ‘non’ whereas Southerners say ‘nun’.

Private Baldrick:
You know my dad was a nun.

Captain Blackadder:
No he wasn't.

Private Baldrick:
He was too, sir. Cause whenever he was up in court and the judge asked "occupation", he'd say "none".

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

'Nun' would be the correct way surely? I've never really noticed anyone saying it 'non'

I say ‘non’ as do most West Midlanders from what I know.  I put it to a WhatsApp group containing people from Yorkshire and London and the former all said they say ‘non’.

Lived in the Midlands, then the North, the South for a bit, then back to the North. I'd never want to live anywhere south of Leeds these days. 

I'm Birmingham born and bread, but I consider myself pretty much Northern now. Only thing I will never ever do, is call my Mom, Mam. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe it's because I live in the actual north (of England, but not Britain, obvs), but I've always considered Birmingham to be far more north than south, culturally speaking. The old Watford Gap cliche is not far off the mark. 

I dunno when i go birmingham i do think at times im on london esp where new street is.

I think londoners and brummies have sinikar characteristics as well (in my experience anyway)

When i go up north i like it as its not so busy and congested as london is.

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Good thread @mjmooney

I would say Birmingham is more south than north surely?

Also i dont want Coventry associated with us southerners you guys in the north can have it!

If I had to choose I'd consider myself more northern than southern. Brum and the wider midlands has much more in common historically with the north than the south IMO

• Like 2

As other have said, the 'South' is far too broad. Somerset bears no resemble to Essex at all although they are both classed as South. 

At my workplace the sales regions are divided as follows; North (includes Scotland and NI), Midlands, South West & Wales, South East and London. I think that is a truer reflection of the different identities of the UK rather than the simplistic North and South. 

The Midlands covers a huge area across the UK... Herefordshire to Norfolk (although I would put Cambridgeshire as SE)

I work with clients UK wide in my role... and without doubt my favourite people to deal with are from the North West - Cheshire, Merseyside, Lancashire and Gtr Manchester. Genuinely the nicest people I deal with. Midlanders can be a funny bunch... people from the Black Country are friendlier than Brummies on the whole. The two rudest clients I have dealt with in the last ten years are both from Kent. Luckily I no longer have any dealings with them. 

Â