North vs South (...and the Midlands)

mjmooney

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Some bits of North Wales views the South as not really Welsh, and some bits of the South view the North as weird backwards people who hate outsiders. There's even pejorative terms for the people either side of the divide.

It's kinda hard to argue with that. 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2020 at 16:13, bickster said:

'Nun' would be the correct way surely? I've never really noticed anyone saying it 'non'

Absolutely not. I'm with @Wainy316 - it's 'non'. Like @dAVe80, I've pretty much gone native in Yorkshire, and most of my Brummie accent has vanished. But there are a few surviving traces, and the 'non' thing is one of them. And it was only relatively recently that it even occurred to me that anybody would say 'nun' - when my missus 'corrected' me. I laughed back at her, assuming it was some weird South Devon quirk of hers, until I did a bit of research, and to my utter amazement, I found that 'nun' was so widespread as to be basically the standard. It still sounds utterly wrong (and affected) to me. None = 'non', and will ever remain so in my speech. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely not. I'm with @Wainy316 - it's 'non'. Like @dAVe80, I've pretty much gone native in Yorkshire, and most of my Brummie accent has vanished. But there are a few surviving traces, and the 'non' thing is one of them. And it was only relatively recently that it even occurred to me that anybody would say 'nun' - when my missus 'corrected' me. I laughed back at her, assuming it was some weird South Devon quirk of hers, until I did a bit of research, and to my utter amazement, I found that 'nun' was so widespread as to be basically the standard. It still sounds utterly wrong (and affected) to me. None = 'non', and will ever remain so in my speech. 

Methinks you've been consuming gravy with your fish

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Do you not find the Yorkshire folk say ‘non’ too?  Ones I know (majority from Bradford) tend to.

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Do you not find the Yorkshire folk say ‘non’ too?  Ones I know (majority from Bradford) tend to.

TBH, I haven't noticed. I will listen out for it in future. 

Oddly if I read ‘none of the above’, its non. If I was asked how many of something (as an example) I have, I say nun. Its weird if I read a question, mentally its non. If I verbally answer a question its nun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

South Brum here.  It's definitely nun for me. 

I reckon non would be more Black Country? 

My Mom (must admit, I would say 'mum' nowadays) was born in Walsall and grew up in (shudder) Small Heath. Dunno if that would have been an influence. (My Dad was Merseyside Irish). 

On 02/11/2020 at 06:28, KenjiOgiwara said:

Oi. I learned something. I thought IoM was closer to France. 

Isle of Man? Sorry, but when it is spoken slowly, it sounds a teensy bit gay. 

Just an observation. Nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Isle of Man? Sorry, but when it is spoken slowly, it sounds a teensy bit gay. 

Just an observation. Nothing wrong with that.

I always thought Genting sounds like some kind of male gay activity. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That map will be a jumping off point for a few other bits of research - spoiler -starting with the Isle of Man as I type (did not know about the delay in abolishing the death penalty there, blimey).

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

ironic really, being gay was still illegal until 1992

Jeeez, the Isle of Man has surprised me more times in the past 10 hours than it’s ever done previously.

My only thought on it previously was “Hmmm, weird flag”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I always thought Genting sounds like some kind of male gay activity. 

My guess would have been something loose women get up to at fancy dos.

Â