England v Wales/England v Belgium/England v Denmark

andykeenan

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Comical delusion from Southgate in the presser. Who could be proud of that performance?!

Also, what's with treating this like Maguire is some 18-year-old on his international debut? It's revolting.

Been searching for the right word for ages and you’ve nailed it with revolting

Southgate is in total denial and is far and away from the truthful analysis.....it was shocking, shocking team selection and shocking discipline.

why did he leave Harry on ,on a yellow, so early.....

Jacks style was exactly what England, its a joke......he talks about speed on the flank,Rashford was redundant, totally shadowing, no urgency, no intensity.

If Jack couldn't get on in that game, he never will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Southgate is in total denial and is far and away from the truthful analysis.....it was shocking, shocking team selection and shocking discipline.

why did he leave Harry on ,on a yellow, so early.....

Jacks style was exactly what England, its a joke......he talks about speed on the flank,Rashford was redundant, totally shadowing, no urgency, no intensity.

It’s Brian little all over again

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

why did he leave Harry on ,on a yellow, so early?......

Jacks style was exactly what England needed, its a joke......he talks about speed on the flank,Rashford was redundant, totally shadowing, no urgency, no intensity.

The thing I don't get in all of this; during that World Cup run (and especially the defeat against Croatia, and most of extra time against Colombia vaguely thinking about it) it was abundantly clear that England lacked any sort of control in the centre of the field.  After some somewhat high scoring qualifiers and a couple of half decent nation league victories Gareth has decided to throw the last couple of year's progress into the bin and lumped all in on this hideous 3-4-3 nonsense that at times becomes 7 (SEVEN!) at the back that's once again meant there's no control (either in terms of allowing a high press, or even having someone that can take the ball and alleviate some pressure from the "arms-length" defending they're trying to do with this system) and totally stifling the hitherto-rampaging-pace-based-attack we have.  It's like all the drawbacks of before, whilst totally nuking any attacking intent and relying on "dark arts", contentious VAR decisions or a bit of brilliance from someone to dig us out of the hole at the death.  Which frankly (especially given the personnel available) is garbage.

Also, remember the whole "picking on form and not reputation" schtick; some of that again please?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Been searching for the right word for ages and you’ve nailed it with revolting

Also, check out the reply from Linekar to this tweet. The efforts players, manager, and pundits are wrapping themselves over to defend this man is really revolting.

• Like 1

I can kind of agree with the maguire stuff, don't pile in to him, don't hang him, let him have a breather to try and regain his form, it will be a mental thing

But all of that still comes back to every man and his dog could see his shit form and Southgate stick picked him 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

The thing I don't get in all of this; during that World Cup run (and especially the defeat against Croatia, and most of extra time against Colombia vaguely thinking about it) it was abundantly clear that England lacked any sort of control in the centre of the field.  After some somewhat high scoring qualifiers and a couple of half decent nation league victories Gareth has decided to throw the last couple of year's progress into the bin and lumped all in on this hideous 3-4-3 nonsense that at times becomes 7 (SEVEN!) at the back that's once again meant there's no control (either in terms of allowing a high press, or even having someone that can take the ball and alleviate some pressure from the "arms-length" defending they're trying to do with this system) and totally stifling the hitherto-rampaging-pace-based-attack we have.  It's like all the drawbacks of before, whilst totally nuking any attacking intent and relying on "dark arts", contentious VAR decisions or a bit of brilliance from someone to dig us out of the hole at the death.  Which frankly (especially given the personnel available) is garbage.

Also, remember the whole "picking on form and not reputation" schtick; some of that again please?

I think a lot could be solved by just playing a different midfield 2.

You can't play 2 DM'S in this formation especially with the sort of wingers England play. Even Mount in place of Rice/Phillips would have been a completely different game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I think a lot could be solved by just playing a different midfield 2.

You can't play 2 DM'S in this formation especially with the sort of wingers England play. Even Mount in place of Rice/Phillips would have been a completely different game.

I think the system hurts Phillips also, Southgate is trying to keep his favourites in the squad, and no matter how imbalanced, he proceeds.

Edited by The_Steve

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Also, check out the reply from Linekar to this tweet. The efforts players, manager, and pundits are wrapping themselves over to defend this man is really revolting.

Don't think they'd be so sympathetic if he weren't (a) English and (b) playing for the Chosen Ones, though in Lineker's case I suspect it's because he's ex-Leicester.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

I think the system hurts Phillips's also, Southgate is trying to keep his favourites in the squad, and no matter how imbalanced, he proceeds.

Yeah its forcing him to push up and try to link the play which he isn't really one for. Hes not particularly quick and he's not the best dribbler so everything feels a bit laboured. The things he's good at get negated when youre playing alongside another similar player, I think Southgate sees different things to the rest of us.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

His comments after the last game about mount passing the ball quicker and pressing, followed by tonight about pace on the wings

He is kick and rush

Play the ball long behind the full backs, run the channels, pin them high

He doesn't know what to do with a footballer, maddison as well as Jack 

That is the long and short of it......he doesn't know what to do with a footballer.......he has a rigid approach to the game....a dour stay in the game mentality, even if you are losing, absolute tosh.

Rashford gave the ball away 3 times in 5 minutes, did he not see that......he made no runs either and just presided over a flat performance before changing it late on.......Southgate deserved what he got.

He should get a job in politics, not football.

10 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Yeah its forcing him to push up and try to link the play which he isn't really one for. Hes not particularly quick and he's not the best dribbler so everything feels a bit laboured. The things he's good at get negated when youre playing alongside another similar player, I think Southgate sees different things to the rest of us.

Do you think Southgate has actually seen him play? Because I dont think he has ever watched the Villa players in his squad 

Â