England v Wales/England v Belgium/England v Denmark

andykeenan

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s something very rotten about England but as we know, we’ll find out in about 10 years when these players do their books.

Top class players on the bench, 7/8 defenders on the bench several games running. These players are not idiots, they will be talking to each other asking WTF is going on.

Southgate took an age to come out for his post match conversation and said it was because he was telling the players how proud he was of them etc. Bollox, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some kind of showdown.

I don’t see many in that squad who would cause a showdown though. They want to keep their place in the squad 

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t see many in that squad who would cause a showdown though. They want to keep their place in the squad 

I’m not a massive fan of Henderson but he should start in that England side. So should Trent, so should Grealish. Pickford should have been dropped. The amount of defenders is a joke, even the lucky ones like Kalvin-Phillips, Maitland-Niles, Declan Rice should look at that and think they shouldn’t be starting.

Has there been a single person who looked at the lineup and thought Southgate had set the team up well?

• Like 1

Go man go

The off-the-cuff ingenuity of the Aston Villa man could unleash the attacking potential in a gifted England generation but the manager is reluctant 

It was surely a first in the history of the Englandteam; a man-of-the-match full debutant failing to get a single minute on the pitch three days later in the very next game.

Gareth Southgate’s relationship with Jack Grealish has moved on from suspect to faintly ridiculous in the last week. It has moved from glaring squad omissions for spurious reasons to weirdly evasive answers to questions concerning the Aston Villacaptain’s performance in an England shirt.

• Like 3

I didn't see the game last night but I watched the highlights. 

He clearly doesn't rate Jack but to be honest at this point and thinking as an England fan rather than a Villa one I don't even really see that as the main issue. 

The 3-4-3 formation doesn't work for anyone except Coady and there is no logical reason to disrupt all our best players to fit in a pretty average one at best. 

When you think about it it's spectacular how poorly he is getting this team playing given the talent at his disposal. Nobody wants to use the words Golden generation but this is easily the best squad we've had since then and maybe even better for depth if not 1st XI. 

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not a massive fan of Henderson but he should start in that England side. So should Trent, so should Grealish. Pickford should have been dropped. The amount of defenders is a joke, even the lucky ones like Kalvin-Phillips, Maitland-Niles, Declan Rice should look at that and think they shouldn’t be starting.

Has there been a single person who looked at the lineup and thought Southgate had set the team up well?

I agree the team should be very different. But come to a big game, Henderson is guaranteed to start. He’s not going to kick off at the manager for not playing a game like this especially when it’s probably beneficial for his club not to have played. It’s not worth an argument. 

No other player would argue with Southgate as they’d just get dropped and not selected again.

Jack sat there in his puffa jacket clearly thinking to himself "this is bollocks"

Hopefully Deano has been on the phone throughout, keeping him sane/level headed about things.

Jack may well have been better off opting for Ireland, but there would always have been that niggling "could have played for England" - no one could ever have predicted Southgate being in charge and having some vendetta against him. 

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that Southgate has just given him the games he has in order to prevent him switching to Ireland.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that Southgate has just given him the games he has in order to prevent him switching to Ireland.

Yes, and also to reduce the amount of pressure on him to pick/play him. He’s given him a few token minutes in a friendly so he can’t be completely against him. 

• Like 1

He was only called up originally because others pulled out, after jack liked a tweet criticising the decision for the lack of a call up. 

He's a lying, big nosed nonce waistcoat sack of shit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rino8 said:

I'm absolutely convinced it will be Scott Parker.

I can see Mourinho getting it when he gets sacked at Spurs in about 12 to 18 months. Every other country in Europe is sick of him apart from England as he still has some mates in the media left. Managing Portugal would be  an admission that he could never get a high profile job again. I am not saying Portugal are  worse  than England, it is just it is a smaller country and generates less headlines for a massive egotist.

Edited by The Fun Factory

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can see Mourinho getting it when he gets sacked at Spurs in about 12 to 18 months. Every other country in Europe is sick of him apart from England as he still has some mates in the media left. Managing Portugal would be  an admission that he could never get a high profile job again. I am not saying Portugal are  worse  than England, it is just it is a smaller country and generates less headlines for a massive egotist.

I agree although I don’t think he’ll last that long at Spurs. When the rot sets in it’ll go sour very quickly.

It seems like the betting charges against Trippier are similar to Sturridge. Close friends placed bets on his transfer out of Spurs. He claims he didn’t place any bets or profit from them, but it is against rules to provide inside information.

I’m not sure where the line is drawn on this kind of thing. I’m sure it’s not illegal to ask friends or family advice about a potential transfer.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It seems like the betting charges against Trippier are similar to Sturridge. Close friends placed bets on his transfer out of Spurs. He claims he didn’t place any bets or profit from them, but it is against rules to provide inside information.

I’m not sure where the line is drawn on this kind of thing. I’m sure it’s not illegal to ask friends or family advice about a potential transfer.

It’s like inside trading though, isn’t it. On the stock market you can’t talk about any financial traction as others could then buy/sell shares and make money. 

He should have said nothing.

23 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

It’s like inside trading though, isn’t it. On the stock market you can’t talk about any financial traction as others could then buy/sell shares and make money. 

He should have said nothing.

I know what you mean but it’s not the same as insider trading on stocks. This is a major move for him to another county. He should be expected to discuss with his close friends / family about it before deciding what to do.

If the messages basically show him up telling them he’s going and to get some money on it then it’s his fault. If he’s confiding in close friends for advice and they’ve gone behind his back and had a punt then it’s very harsh on him.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know what you mean but it’s not the same as insider trading on stocks. This is a major move for him to another county. He should be expected to discuss with his close friends / family about it before deciding what to do.

If the messages basically show him up telling them he’s going and to get some money on it then it’s his fault. If he’s confiding in close friends for advice and they’ve gone behind his back and had a punt then it’s very harsh on him.

It’s against the rules though, nobody is allowed to give out info which can affect the betting market - and this can. I am sure most players share with close family, but this was a whatsapp group with mates. 

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

It’s against the rules though, nobody is allowed to give out info which can affect the betting market - and this can. I am sure most players share with close family, but this was a whatsapp group with mates. 

Yes, the issue is with the rules and the betting. He should be free to discuss such a move with those close to him. What if it was his mom, dad or brother who placed the bet? Would the sport make it illegal to discuss transfers with anybody?

The sport should ban betting on transfers or managerial appointments. Problem solved. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, the issue is with the rules and the betting. He should be free to discuss such a move with those close to him. What if it was his mom, dad or brother who placed the bet? Would the sport make it illegal to discuss transfers with anybody?

The sport should ban betting on transfers or managerial appointments. Problem solved. 

I get where you are coming from, but I also recognise the issues that could arise from sharing information. Thousands of footballers and their families manage to do things the right way. I’m sure many do share with mum or dad, but they don’t use it. Maybe Trippier needs better friends or to only choose ones he knows won’t use information in the future.

• Like 1

Â