Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

What do you disagree with me on? That it’s been easy for Wrexham or that they’re significantly financially stronger than every side in the National League (and League Two)?

They’re not significantly financially stronger than Notts County. 

Notts County also ‘bought the league’ this season. 

16 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Jeez.... Come on Robby. There is a vid on the last page. "You'll probably f*** it up but give it a try"... It's....Mcelhenney. 😉

Haha, That's amazing.

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

The series is very good. And I do think Reynolds and McElhenny are good people trying to do right by the club, they've done things right.

They're still basically doing the same thing Citeh have done though. It's good for Wrexham obviously and they're a 'league standard' club that's suffered from horrific mismanagement so in a way feels a little more... acceptable that they've benefitted like this. But it's still not really a fairytale. They've blown away their competition with investment. They stopped being underdogs the second they got bought by people with deep pockets that they were prepared to use, and did - getting successful League standard managers and players in, using their profile to get sponsored by companies the National League couldn't even dream of...

Its not really the same as notts county would have walked the league if wrexham were not in it.

Also lets not forget when they go up  if they get to league one or championship even they wont have huge amounts to spend like city do.

They are a wealthy club for the bottom leagues but once they start going up the pyramid they wont be spending big as you guys think. Citys money is unlimited just like newcastles

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

They’re not significantly financially stronger than Notts County. 

Notts County also ‘bought the league’ this season. 

They really, really are significantly financially stronger than County.

County have a decent clout for this level (their stadium is insane for non-league) and lots of debt to manage so they have to push to get promoted. But Wrexham absolutely dwarf them financially. It’s not even close. 

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They really, really are significantly financially stronger than County.

County have a decent clout for this level (their stadium is insane for non-league) and lots of debt to manage so they have to push to get promoted. But Wrexham absolutely dwarf them financially. It’s not even close. 

So what was difference when we did it in championship blowing other teams out the water and we still couldnt win the league?

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

What do you disagree with me on? That it’s been easy for Wrexham or that they’re significantly financially stronger than every side in the National League (and League Two)?

I haven’t once said that the owners are bad (in fact, I’ve praised them and said every club should have owners like them). I just root for the underdog naturally so when some club gets financially doped and hyped up, I go against wanting them to do well.

That isn’t saying Wrexham are a horrible club or a stain on football or anything.

Your opinion on this subject, clearly.

Its like every 10 posts or so you have to just slip into the conversation about how they bought the league - we all get that they’re well funded, it just doesn’t bother most of us as it seems to do you. I don’t think there’s any real need to just keep repeating yourself.

• Like 2

Where did they spend their money? It wasn't on transfer fees. Is it just the case that at that level most players have 1 year contracts so they picked up the cream of the crop on free transfers with good salaries?

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Your opinion on this subject, clearly.

Its like every 10 posts or so you have to just slip into the conversation about how they bought the league - we all get that they’re well funded, it just doesn’t bother most of us as it seems to do you. I don’t think there’s any real need to just keep repeating yourself.

Bother is probably strong; I'd have the same opinion of any side doing the same.  There just wasn't this much publicity about Crawley or Salford or Stockport who were all similarly heavily backed out of the National League so the discussion hasn't appeared on VillaTalk before.  However there's a cringeworthy love-in for Wrexham.  I understand it's because of their owners and, at the risk of repeating myself again (sorry!), they're great guys who are doing the right thing by Wrexham as a whole which is fantastic for the city.

However, people contesting that they haven't been promoted via "easy mode" or that there is any sort of remote challenge or fairy tale or whatever here is utterly bonkers.  @Chindie's posts were spot on IMO and we've both responded in kind from there with differing opinions - albeit you've wanted to put words in my mouth for some reason.

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Where did they spend their money? It wasn't on transfer fees. Is it just the case that at that level most players have 1 year contracts so they picked up the cream of the crop on free transfers with good salaries?

They had a keeper on 6k a week who they seem to have replaced with Foster and were signing starting players up to 2 divisions higher in the pyramid

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They had a keeper on 6k a week who they seem to have replaced with Foster and were signing starting players up to 2 divisions higher in the pyramid

Yes but not for transfer fees.

Salary is king?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not really the same as notts county would have walked the league if wrexham were not in it.

Also lets not forget when they go up  if they get to league one or championship even they wont have huge amounts to spend like city do.

They are a wealthy club for the bottom leagues but once they start going up the pyramid they wont be spending big as you guys think. Citys money is unlimited just like newcastles

And teams overspend trying to keep up or get anywhere near them. Wrexham are years away from causing that sort of damage. 

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

They've spent over £1.2m on players in 2021/22 - so I imagine a lot of signing on fees/agent fees etc.  Bear in mind that the players they've bought in have largely been from League One/League Two (after contracts have expired) rather than teams in and around them.

They've obviously then pushed out further this season.  Lee has come from Luton albeit after loans in League One, Forde has dropped down from League One, Tunnicliffe was in the League Two team of the year a couple of seasons back, Howard was Carlisle's player of the season in League Two last season and made the switch.  They'll have all attracted decent fees/wages.

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They've spent over £1.2m on players in 2021/22 - so I imagine a lot of signing on fees/agent fees etc.  Bear in mind that the players they've bought in have largely been from League One/League Two (after contracts have expired) rather than teams in and around them.

They've obviously then pushed out further this season.  Lee has come from Luton albeit after loans in League One, Forde has dropped down from League One, Tunnicliffe was in the League Two team of the year a couple of seasons back, Howard was Carlisle's player of the season in League Two last season and made the switch.  They'll have all attracted decent fees/wages.

Give them a bit of credit tempting foster out of retirement was absolute genius move

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Give them a bit of credit tempting foster out of retirement was absolute genius move

Genius in what way?  It feels like the Foster signing is all about exposure for both parties, but maybe that's too cynical.

Unless that's the genius you're talking about, of course :D 

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Genius in what way?  It feels like the Foster signing is all about exposure for both parties, but maybe that's too cynical.

Unless that's the genius you're talking about, of course :D 

I take it you missed the pen save vs notts County in the last minute 😃

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I take it you missed the pen save vs notts County in the last minute 😃

Ha, no of course he did that. Was a very good save! Do you reckon he’ll do another season or has that already been agreed?

33 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ha, no of course he did that. Was a very good save! Do you reckon he’ll do another season or has that already been agreed?

Good question mate. I think the way he speaks about how pride he has had representing them and the atmosphere i think he will give it another season

Â