Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

This sentence suggests nobody hates Man City.  

I mean, we could go into the nuances.

They’re a financially doped super power of the lower leagues, but with nice owners instead. It’s just a bit wordy, though. 

Meh I feel Wrexham are a League One team who through charlatan owners and zero investment found themselves in the National League for 15 years. Now they have decent owners they're spending League One money because they're really a League One sized club and to be honest need the investment to make up for spending sod all for years and years.

• Like 3

The success of a football club is underrated for what it does for the local economy. Even stuff like the pub, more wins means happier fans, more likely to have a beer or two after the game.

A city the size of Birmingham having only two clubs, us fighting life or death to get in the top 6 and another complete non entity club must be dreadful for the economy considering you have two of the world's biggest in bloody Manchester.

36 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I know a couple of people who live in Wrexham, and they say that the town is seeing an upturn, shops are opening on previously dead High streets etc, and they put it down to the investments put into the local economy by Rob and Ryan. 

Say what you want about the football side, I can't think of many cases where the community has benefitted like that, or owners that could give a f*** about their 'environment', for want of a better word.

Fair play.

I went to college in Wrexham for two years. I can’t emphasise enough how much of a shit hole it is/was. Ive not been back since. I’m quite intrigued. Odd town to have picked though it’s heinous in all respects. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I went to college in Wrexham for two years. I can’t emphasise enough how much of a shit hole it is/was. Ive not been back since. I’m quite intrigued. Odd town to have picked though it’s heinous in all respects. 

Apparently loads of Yank tourists now, and third party investment. A real estate company has just invested 130 million into a new commercial base there, and they have cited the Wrexham FC owners influence on the town as a reason.

I love our owners, and the pantheon that is Villa Park, but walk 100m in any direction.....😬

25 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Apparently loads of Yank tourists now, and third party investment. A real estate company has just invested 130 million into a new commercial base there, and they have cited the Wrexham FC owners influence on the town as a reason.

I love our owners, and the pantheon that is Villa Park, but walk 100m in any direction.....😬

Wrexham is only about 45 minutes from me and I go near there for wild swimming occasionally. 

Wish the area well. It needs the investment. However I suspect it's a bubble that will burst in a few year's once the novelty wears off. 

Yank tourists have notoriously short attention spans based off stuff like this (see previous booms based off movies/TV and the interest in New Zealand, Australia etc).

34 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I guess the levels make a difference. If those two took over Villa, there wouldn’t be any amazing Phoenix resurgence. Best we could hope for is competing with the top 4 but that’s not exactly exciting is it. It IS exciting to be climbing up the leagues and effectively representing the plucky little beaten down country of Wales. There’s a lot to their story.

I do wish them well, but as the above poster says the novelty will wear off. But having said that they are making hay whilst the sun shines and so hopefully there is a long-term positive impact already. Anything is a positive for what was the teenage pregnancy capital of Europe…

24 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I guess the levels make a difference. If those two took over Villa, there wouldn’t be any amazing Phoenix resurgence. Best we could hope for is competing with the top 4 but that’s not exactly exciting is it. It IS exciting to be climbing up the leagues and effectively representing the plucky little beaten down country of Wales. There’s a lot to their story.

I do wish them well, but as the above poster says the novelty will wear off. But having said that they are making hay whilst the sun shines and so hopefully there is a long-term positive impact already. Anything is a positive for what was the teenage pregnancy capital of Europe…

The novelty may well wear off, you are right, but playing advocate here, it's still more than most owners do for their community. In my opinion the effort should be admired.

Most owners spin all sorts when it comes to community, but as someone once said, principles aren't principles unless they cost you money.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see what happens when the rubber meets the road and say the fail twice to get promoted from league 2. Clearly running the losses and does FPP even apply at league 2 or are they just interested in making sure they don't go into admin?

I agree on not seeing the longevity of the situation but who knows - maybe this is a long term play. Fair play if it is.

They've done what they said they'd do and got them back in the league. 

I suspect after the Netflix series ends (maybe this series plus one more?) they'll sell it on to a responsible owner.  Maybe even make a profit out of it.  I don't see them selling up to a Tony Xia. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

They've done what they said they'd do and got them back in the league. 

I suspect after the Netflix series ends (maybe this series plus one more?) they'll sell it on to a responsible owner.  Maybe even make a profit out of it.  I don't see them selling up to a Tony Xia. 

I’m not sure they will. By all accounts they say and it certainly comes across that it’s the best thing they’ve done and it makes them happy. I can see them staying invested if they’ve truly been bitten by the bug. You can see how it can appeal when you’ve just been surrounded by nonsense all your life. 

Ryan would surely be in it for the money and as a neat little hobby. I’m not sure what his ownership stake is but higher than Rob I would think given their interplay in the series. 

Rob, I’m not so sure it’s about the money for him. Have family from the Philadelphia area and they are die hard fans. He might actually be in it for the long haul. 

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Ryan would surely be in it for the money and as a neat little hobby. I’m not sure what his ownership stake is but higher than Rob I would think given their interplay in the series. 

Rob, I’m not so sure it’s about the money for him. Have family from the Philadelphia area and they are die hard fans. He might actually be in it for the long haul. 

Yeah Ryan Reynolds is worth some serious money. Sold Mintmobile for 100's of millions and his gin brand for a similar amount, that's not counting the film salaries so must have at least $500 mil in the bank, which is more than enough to fund a club up to championship level. 

Rob is probably worth a tenth of that of that but that's not exactly poor.

20 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah Ryan Reynolds is worth some serious money. Sold Mintmobile for 100's of millions and his gin brand for a similar amount, that's not counting the film salaries so must have at least $500 mil in the bank, which is more than enough to fund a club up to championship level. 

Rob is probably worth a tenth of that of that but that's not exactly poor.

Thats still 50 million more than Dr X had

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â