Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

He wanted massive wages, that’s why nobody touched him. He would have been here as a stop gap then off on loan to Turkey with us paying his wages.

Not doubting the wages thing, but Dembele would have gone off to Turkey? He's a very good player!

8 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Mate, he hasn’t played well in the pl in 1 and a half years by now. Hasn’t touched ligue 1 in 2 years. Its been 6 years since he last played in the eridivisie.

I’m not saying they’re completely irrelevant, but what he’s done in Turkey is going to be very relevant to how good he is a player at the moment. Definitely a lot more than how he did in the eridivisie 6 years ago or even ligue 1. 

And I’m not even saying Bertie will be shit mind you. I’m just having doubts about how good he currently is as a player which I’m justified in having.

I mean he literally played less than 3 games worth of minutes for us last season. 277 in all comps

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I mean he literally played less than 3 games worth of minutes for us last season. 277 in all comps

He even got an assist if you count the penalty he won vs Watford

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaLion63 said:

Bang average, slow and injury prone. He's not suddenly going to turn into a "Great" player.

Not to mention completely one footed. He's great though because he shows the odd flash of skill once every 5 appearances. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The coaching and facilities in Turkey probably weren't anywhere near the level he'll get back at Villa. Id argue with our new training centre and Emery its probably better than what hed get in most of England.

He was playing with players the same level as the ones he was playing against, so although he probably would be expected to stand out, it doesnt always work like that. You've seen play get brought down to the level of the weakest team, and when most of both teams are that level, it's easy to see why he wasn't always delivering.

Add in a country he's never played in before, a local language he probably doesn't speak, and it's looking like a loan that was never going to get the best out of him.

I'm not stating he did, or it affected him, but there's also quite a long and recent history of racism in Turkish football against African footballers (aware English football isn't a shining beacon here). It wouldn't have been an overly friendly environment for him.

All that is to say, judge him after being coached by a proper football master, when his fitness is at the levels expected by the club,  in a team that is playing well, and in a position that's aligned to his strengths. If he doesn't get back to a 1 in 2 goal contribution I'll be surprised.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Not to mention completely one footed. He's great though because he shows the odd flash of skill once every 5 appearances. 

What do you have to say about his goal involvement record then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

As one footed as he is half his villa goals have been right footed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

As one footed as he is half his villa goals have been right footed.

I also think it's more noticeable when the one footed player is a leftie.

Edited by Tom13

My love for Bertie is pure. And I love that people are complaining about him being 'one footed' as if every single footballer out there is two footed. Most of them are one footed!

If my memory serves me correctly, one of his current critics was one of the people most outspoken against him when he signed, who only continued doubling down despite and during his good form with us.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

My love for Bertie is pure. And I love that people are complaining about him being 'one footed' as if every single footballer out there is two footed. Most of them are one footed!

If my memory serves me correctly, one of his current critics was one of the people most outspoken against him when he signed, who only continued doubling down despite and during his good form with us.

lol exactly, it's such a reach! If he was painfully one footed, that would be a reasonable criticism, but the guy has literally scored multiple goals using his right foot so it's not a reasonable criticism of him at all. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Some of you lot are boring af. Bertie has provided some of the best looking goddam goals in our recent history and he has that x factor that really gets the footballing adrenaline going. I can't think of a more entertaining footballer we've had on our books. He might not be the BEST overall player, but every single time he's on the pitch I'm at the edge of my seat. That's entertainment, that's what I like XD.

It will be interesting to see what Emery can get out of him.  I expect we'll see a few great goals and performances, and a few games where he's invisible. His problem has always been inconsistency, if he was more consistent, he wouldn't have been shipped off to Turkey.  

Â