Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

16 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Everyone interested in goal involvement uses minutes per goal. That's not micro maths or pedantic stats. 

If 2 players play 3 games and one plays all minutes and other comes on twice as late sub last 5 mins for 170 less minutes playing time it would be wrong to judge latter's goal output if less because "they've both played 3 games." 

This is your completely flawed logic and argument

I accept the logic.

But if one player has played 600 games in his career and another has played 700 games in his career.....are you going to sift through all of them to work out how many minutes and how many penalties?

I said in my post its a broad brush, I am aware that my comments are not rocket science, they are a general thumb rule, so I don't know what you are getting excited about.

Also, if we apply the same approach to every player, the anomalies, wash out in swings and roundabouts........I never set out to create an ultra accurate set of unchallenging criteria.

Even if you do it your way, other criteria could be used to challenge it......I think your comments are pedantic, mate.

I never set out to make my stats any more than generalisations....but your interpretations (and others)are trying to portray them as literal.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Everyone interested in goal involvement uses minutes per goal. That's not micro maths or pedantic stats. 

If 2 players play 3 games and one plays all minutes and other comes on twice as late sub last 5 mins for 170 less minutes playing time it would be wrong to judge latter's goal output if less because "they've both played 3 games." 

This is your completely flawed logic and argument

So to get back on track to the original point......do you think Bertie is a beacon of consistency?

When he is "on it" he is a joy to watch (his "roll it in" goal v the baggies is one of my favourites of all time) but, as Tro says, he is just not on it often enough. I think you could level this comment at the majority of "wingers". He has definitely got more involved defensively since he has been here but not enough imho.

I think this is symptomatic of why Stevie G looks to use two "10"s - because conventional wide players/wingers are typically not involved enough and in many games you are effectively playing with 9/10 players for much of the game. Gerard's system - like Klopp's and Guardiola's (although they are helped by having v good players!!) - negates this to an extent and ensures a more cohesive team performance. Man U, as an example, are still living in the past and looking for exciting wing play and for flair players to make the difference rather than for a cohesive team performance to win games, and this imho has been part of their downfall.

He is a useful squad player. He is not good enough consistently to oust anyone else in the midfield/forward areas so he will remain a sub. But he is deifinately the sort of sub you want to change things up. He is a plan B player, and you will need that.

Plus I love him, despite his one footedness he has so much natural talent, he can be a joy to watch. ironically I think more game time would improve him and add that consistency. Without looking at stats, I think he played quite a lot for us last season.

I really like Traore, but I do understand the need for more robustness in forward areas. For all his positives his biggest negative is the brittleness of him. He just cannot stay fit and you couldn't give him a run in the team even if you wanted to. I think he'll be going in the summer on that basis alone. 

I think he could be sold in the summer. I do like him, he can look a world beater at times, and poor at other times, but with Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Chuck, plus young AJ and JPB here, I think he will go (along with Trez and El Ghazi)

• Like 1

Â