Emiliano Martínez

hippo

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think he's easily as good as anyone in the world but I doubt we would stand in his way if he wanted to leave if we got offered that kind of money and he wanted to go to try and win the Champions League with someone.  He's basically had to try and make a whole career in half the time because of the years Arsenal wasted with him on the bench so I can see a point soon where he goes, unless we can get Champions League next season. 

He's already told us that he plans to win the Champions League with us next year.  

Well technically he said he wants to win the Champions League next year, i have assumed he means with us 🙂 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When I see how Chelsea and Man U are really struggling with their keepers it amazes me they didn’t pay big to try and sign Emi. 

They might have tried, at least feelers to see if we were interested and we probably gave a quick “go #### yourself”.  

Plus Chelsea and Man U aren’t as big pulls as they used to be unlike the elite of City, Arsenal and Liverpool.  

It would be so much harder for Chelsea and Man Utd to entice players from clubs like Villa, Spurs and Newcastle.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They might have tried, at least feelers to see if we were interested and we probably gave a quick “go #### yourself”.  

Plus Chelsea and Man U aren’t as big pulls as they used to be unlike the elite of City, Arsenal and Liverpool.  

It would be so much harder for Chelsea and Man Utd to entice players from clubs like Villa, Spurs and Newcastle.

How times have changed.  United under SAF and Chelsea under Abramovich were able to sign players from anyone in the league within reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a weird one this.

Let me preface this by saying I love Emi. I think he's absolutely fantastic.

However, I do think he is slightly overrated. That's not me trying to be negative. He's brilliant. But at the moment his reputation is genuinely that of the best goalkeeper in the world. Or in the conversation at least.
I don't think he's actually at that level.

He's very very very good, and he's the best keeper we could have got when we got him. But I think there would be a (slightly moneyball) argument that fi we received bids like that we should sell him. 

Not because we want to get rid of him, but because we'd be getting more than he's worth.

Obviously it's relative, and the bigger question is even if we had £100m, would we be able to replace him with a keeper who is as good or better? Quite possibly not. But I think there's a genuine conversation to be had around it

This may be true although I also think there are intangibles that can't be easily measured by statistics that make him extra valuable.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When I see how Chelsea and Man U are really struggling with their keepers it amazes me they didn’t pay big to try and sign Emi. 

Can't afford him. Even Chelsea can't splurge £200m on a single player 😈

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a weird one this.

Let me preface this by saying I love Emi. I think he's absolutely fantastic.

However, I do think he is slightly overrated. That's not me trying to be negative. He's brilliant. But at the moment his reputation is genuinely that of the best goalkeeper in the world. Or in the conversation at least.
I don't think he's actually at that level.

He's very very very good, and he's the best keeper we could have got when we got him. But I think there would be a (slightly moneyball) argument that fi we received bids like that we should sell him. 

Not because we want to get rid of him, but because we'd be getting more than he's worth.

Obviously it's relative, and the bigger question is even if we had £100m, would we be able to replace him with a keeper who is as good or better? Quite possibly not. But I think there's a genuine conversation to be had around it

I get your point, and if someone offers huge money for someone in their 30s you have to consider it. But it’s just SUCH a hard position to replace. Dropping £50-100m doesn’t guarantee anything - look at Chelsea, Man United etc - but the guy you have in goal can be the difference of multiple points per season. I’d hang on as long as we can especially as he seems happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I get your point, and if someone offers huge money for someone in their 30s you have to consider it. But it’s just SUCH a hard position to replace. Dropping £50-100m doesn’t guarantee anything - look at Chelsea, Man United etc - but the guy you have in goal can be the difference of multiple points per season. I’d hang on as long as we can especially as he seems happy.

I totally agree to be fair. I don't want to sell him.

I can just see the argument for doing so if we're getting world record level bids for him

He is honestly invaluable to us, priceless. We wouldn’t be able to replace him. Amazing if he retired with us and then became our GK coach.

Our best keeper ever, the complete package but added to that is his enormous and inspirational personality and leadership. His off the pitch persona is just as important… absolutely crucial and essential for us.

Maybe we had comparable shot stoppers but no one comes close to ability with their feet either and back then it was more a case of booting the ball as far as possible when it got to the keeper…

One of the best signings in all of our history, the longer he remains with us the better.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I totally agree to be fair. I don't want to sell him.

I can just see the argument for doing so if we're getting world record level bids for him

I think it would destabilise us more than selling any other player… we just wouldn’t be able to bring in a a comparable player and personality.

Thankfully, he is absolutely in love with the club and us fans in love with him… the more we can make him feel that, the better…

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Lap it up guys, he'll be held in the same regards as the one we call God amongst future Villa generations.

Absolutely, special player for us who will hopefully help lead us on to genuine, tangible success under our elite manager.

Â