Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Weren't there rumours that they weren't exactly best mates at Arsenal? If I was Emery, i'd be thinking "how about you shut your yap about moving to a Champions League team, and actually try to getting your hands to a shot for once!" 

what peeves me is...

1) i have no idea why he stands on the ball for ages, just keep it moving, move their forward players around, recycle the ball quickly, keeper > CB > full back > keeper > CB > full back etc etc etc, move it around and pull the press, him just standing there like a melon waiting for a player to get 2 feet from him is just...i dunno, it slows it all down, allows opposition players to set themselves, and puts our players on their heels through lack of action, its really annoying to watch.

2) time wasting......they literally add the time on at the end now, time wasting saves you no time any more, and he gets yellows for it, that will get him banned eventually for X yellows, its pointless when they add time on for time wasting anyways.

I can see Emery cashing in on him this summer.

the above doesnt think i believe emi is a bad player, he isnt, but i also wonder if he fits Emery's profile of player.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Emi ignoring Unai's instructions is not a good sign 

Don't think he " ignored " his instructions to be fair mate.

I think he was just saying he wouldn't ever instruct a keeper to do that, and it was his own decision.

So he had words with him about it at the end.

He did say ok one or two times you might get something from it, but 99 percent of the time it's pointless.

It seems conceding a fourth needlessly really wound Unai up as it makes the result looks worse than it actually was as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A lot of embarrassing comments on here tonight. Was at fault for maybe the 4th goal thats it 

We all hate him now... You're either with us or against us.... Lol

Jokes aside, if we won that game most of this convo is futile.

The timewasting and some of the distribution has actually been winding me up for a while though.

Hopefully there is no serious tiff in house though as it would be a terrible time of season for it to happen.

7 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's not I saw the interview. Said he didn't understand why he went up, makes us more vulnerable and said maybe once or twice in history has a keeper scored.

Said this to my lad. 

I'd love to see the stats about how often keepers score/directly influence a goal v how often a breakaway goal is conceded.  I reckon heavily in the favour of breakaway goals. 

It's not a cup final or last chance to win the league / avoid relegation. Goal difference could make a difference here though. 

By golly we're shit at corners though. 

Edited by sidcow

5 hours ago, birdman said:

I don't remember one occasion today where Emi initiated a quick turnover of the ball to try and create an attack. 

He had loads of chances to do this and spurned it everytime. 

In my opinion we're at our best when moving forwards quickly. As soon as we pause or turn back we're in a mire and look clueless. 

His constant dwelling on the ball be it at his feet or in his hands not only means we don't play to our strengths it also means we play at our weakest. 

And game management is one thing but completely shutting down any kind of adventurous play invites pressure and hands over the initiative. This all starts at the back, the tempo is set. 

• Like 3

Against Leeds and Southampton he was integral to winning six points—as part of the team. He's conceded goals since, but I'm not sure any of them he could have stopped (except the last goal today of course). Now it's his turn for the villatalk scapegoat treatment. Why can't we just support our players? Especially one of the good ones.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Against Leeds and Southampton he was integral to winning six points—as part of the team. He's conceded goals since, but I'm not sure any of them he could have stopped (except the last goal today of course). Now it's his turn for the villatalk scapegoat treatment. Why can't we just support our players? Especially one of the good ones.

If you are on an individual-player forum then you'll see comments about that individual, positive and negative.  I don't see anyone on here blaming him for the loss, but there is much (legitimate) criticism of his performance today, and more specifically, his time-wasting antics and distribution.  That isn't making him a scapegoat.  Arsenal were playing with less than 3 days rest so the best way to beat them would be to move the ball quickly and make them chase so that they tire.  What Emi was doing was the exact opposite - giving them an opportunity to get back into their shape and get a few seconds rest, throughout the final 51 minutes of the game. I love the bloke, but his performance wasn't good. It was one of the reasons why we weren't as effective as we should have been, but certainly not the only one. 

This all seems a bit capricious. 

His saves have kept us in games in fairly recent history - Leedzzz at home and Soton away in particular. 

If you do need a whole barrage of saves from your keeper against two of the worst sides in the division that illustrates deeper problems IMO. 

We've now played better sides, still looked as ropey at the back and the fecklessness and general shite decision making has caught up with us.  

• Like 2

Â