Emiliano Martínez

hippo

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think Jack would have signed a new deal without the clause. Plus I don’t think anybody for a second really believed a team would pay 100m for him. City did it for commercial reasons and are most likely regretting it.  They’ll take a massive loss on him eventually, 

Emi may have a release clause but for a club in our situation that may be the only way to to tie people down. Bit unfair to compare us to Spurs at the moment. I think the owners are doing more than most clubs in our position to keep our better players.

Lol in no way did anyone buy Grealish for commercial reasons. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Yes, it's not like we've lost players before to bigger, better clubs: Grealish, Delph, Benteke, Young, Downing, Milner, Barry, Yorke, Bosnich.

Of the players you mention only Joe was under our current ownership and none of them were under our present manager. Grealish loves nothing more than the playboy lifestyle and so it was no real surprise he went to plastic paradise with his flash mates. The virtual guarantee of a trophy added to the lure. 

Emi shows a genuine affection for the club and an appreciation of what we’ve done for him. I think he feels he has a duty to repay the debt. The money won’t come in to it, he’ll be earning more than he’ll ever need here. His family are settled and he’s enjoying playing most games. Of course at some point we need to be playing in Europe and winning a trophy or two, but ironically I think winning the World Cup has almost made him more likely to stay as he’s pretty much won the biggest thing you can win as a footballer.

In 30 years time he can sit his grandchildren on his knee and tell them about winning the World Cup and how he moved to the great Aston Villa to do it. How he then won lots of other trophies and medals for his club too.

“I love my country but love Aston Villa too. Now let me tell you about all the things we won and some of the other great players who played for and love Villa too. There was this Irishman…….”

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

You made it up.  Winning the FA Cup gets you into Europa League.

Yeah I thought they’d changed it but I must have totally created that in my head.

OK though a season later after we win the Europa, THAT gets us CL, right?

In no way should we be looking to sell Emi. Sunday evening, Aston Villa other than the World Cup winners was probably one of the most mentioned football clubs in the world. Okay, I made that up but it is possible.

This obscure player at Arseholenal has propelled himself to star status over the last 18 months for us and his Country. Probably bringing more eyes on the club than Grealish or Coutinho with his exploits. What better way for a club in our position to send a message that we are on the up by doing everything to hold on to such a player.

I see Emi as pretty un- upgradeable at the moment, we need to utilise that to bring in more winners, not show everyone that as soon as a player is successful, we sell. That isn't going to get the club where we all want to be. Emery needs the best players we can get moving forward. Emi sits perfectly in this category.

He's the epitome of the player I want wearing the Villa shirt. A perfect fit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, robby b said:

Because Emery left him out of the team at Arsenal I've wondered if he might have made an apology to him or tried to patch things up somehow... and if there's a rift between them and if Emi wants to leave Villa asap, e.g. in January, because of it. :s

Wow. There is no rift. Emi was liking Emery's Instagram posts before he even came to Villa, a few months back.

• Like 2

Another thing rarely said about Emi is how high his ceiling potentially is - Neil Cutler was saying on a podcast the other day he thinks he has many levels to go up having only played about 150 games - loads of room for improvement over the next 5-10 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

What?

What I'm saying is some Arsenal fans and non-Arsenal fans think he wasn't treated well at Arsenal because they think he was better than the keeper (whose name I've fogotten) that started league games but still he was kept back as number two. Including when Unai was manager. So maybe Emi concluded that Unai didn't rate him or believe in him. So is he ok with having that manager suddenly becoming his manager again? I hope so. 

To be fair to Unai, perhaps there wasn't that much difference in the two keepers' ability/performances in reality for all I know! I don't know, I rarely watch domestic games without Villa in them.

• Like 1

The noise surrounding Emi's so called antics at the World cup final, is unbelievable ......

1. Whats stopping any other Goal keeper doing the same.
  2. For years SAF found ways of winning at all costs......How many players can we name, who does exactly that?
  3. Its ok for takers of a penalty, to do a hop skip and a jump, or a quick, quick slow routine, and celebrate.....but not a Goal keeper?

I think the folk who criticise Emi, should think a bit broader.

If the officials grant it, its ok, if they don't, Emi will have to think again.

At the end of the day, he is a big unit, that reacts very quickly to keeping the ball out......maybe they need to look at that, a bit more.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Say what you want, but Glove-dick-gate is undeniably a vast improvement on the last time a Villa goalie made an obscene gesture. 😬

I think Bozzie had his moments with Dwight Yorke, too.....it happens.

Its pointless, us looking for issues, too.

Emi will have his spontaneous reasons for doing it, which I can guess what that was, I may have done the same, if I was him.....lets just ignore the noise, from folk who wish us, nothing but criticism...a bit of associated success and this is what you get.

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

In no way should we be looking to sell Emi. Sunday evening, Aston Villa other than the World Cup winners was probably one of the most mentioned football clubs in the world. Okay, I made that up but it is possible.

This obscure player at Arseholenal has propelled himself to star status over the last 18 months for us and his Country. Probably bringing more eyes on the club than Grealish or Coutinho with his exploits. What better way for a club in our position to send a message that we are on the up by doing everything to hold on to such a player.

I see Emi as pretty un- upgradeable at the moment, we need to utilise that to bring in more winners, not show everyone that as soon as a player is successful, we sell. That isn't going to get the club where we all want to be. Emery needs the best players we can get moving forward. Emi sits perfectly in this category.

Very well said.

Emi is such a massive personality, we simply can't loose.

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

We need improvements to the squad in January and a serious go at the FA cup 

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He is. He's a good keeper, but to say he's elite, not for me.

He got a hand to both Saudi goals, and Mbappe's second, and kept none of them out. Had a save ratio of below 50% over the tournament. Listen, despite his antics, he was very good in the shootout, that's not in doubt.

But there have been a few goals conceded for us where he should have done better, similar to those conceded in the WC. The Mason Mount free-kick at VP was a shocker to concede on his side and from that distance.

Everyone at the minute is in love with him so I know the majority will disagree, but to say he's elite is a stretch IMO.

You can pick moments of form with any Goal Keeper.....Alison, De Gea, Edison, have all had dips in form.

We see Emi's warts more than most, because we are fans, that see him every week.....and some of your observations, are right.

But great players, Goal Keepers do it when it matters.....They dig deep and find form for the big Occasion......He did.

any players appraisal is subjective, and we all see what we want to see.....personally, and taking his influence and personality in to account, I wouldn't swap Emi with any other Keeper.....but thats just me.

PS He knows our journey, better than most, thats important too, to me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â