Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Partly means maybe, but Bradford deffo uses BD post code

Nothing to do with it, it’s how the Riyal Mail organised their logistics in 1971 when they introduced postcodes to speed up sorting

26 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Grant Thornton are/were the council's auditors. Ironically they are also threatening legal action against them due to council bosses trying to intimidate them during audits 

I mean - I've worked in Public Sector and seen some very, er, loose approaches to numbers, but surely that's an accountancy firms job? I'm not cussing the fact there is no money, I've seen the cutbacks over the years, but how can it get THAT bad?

6 hours ago, T-Dog said:

how can it get THAT bad?

Don't forget that Councils up and down the land have had the domicillary care budget from the NHS dumped on them. All our Council Taxes are rising and services are being cut to pay for things that National Insurance used to cover.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 18:38, OutByEaster? said:

It's the former - the edge of the park is the end of Sutton - that's how Sutton's borders are defined and how the Walsall council area is drawn.

I was just about to post though that Streetly is part of the postal town of Sutton Coldfield, but I'm not quite sure what that actually means other than in the same way that postcodes do where it's a convenience for postal office locations.

It means I can tell everyone I live in Sutton Coldfield even if I technically live in Walsall :)

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2024 at 19:49, Lichfield Dean said:

Postal addresses aside, Sutton Park rules.

IMG_20240220_194630_(600_x_797_pixel).thumb.jpg.8fb4f77b9fac8f2f80947e54e2229043.jpg

IMG_20240220_194902_(500_x_664_pixel).jpg.439e9d667c1a397576820a54769549b4.jpg

IMG_20240220_194559_(600_x_797_pixel).thumb.jpg.b9ebed377f423872db60dd317de5afe3.jpg

Took me over 30 years of my life to realise how amazing that park is.

I'd visited a couple of times, but it wasn't until I moved here and went regularly that I realised how huge it is and how much wildlife is there.

During lockdown I walked every inch of the place. During one two hour walk one day I saw deer, cows, herons and wild ponies bathing in one of the pools.
That's on top of the "normal" wildlife you see there (other birds, dogs, forest creatures etc)

It's an awesome place

• Like 4

On 20/02/2024 at 18:50, bickster said:

See postcodes, your address has nothing to do with your local authority.

Pear Tree Rd, great Barr, Birmingham, B43 is a postal address, it’s in Sandwell

I'm in Cleobury, which is in Shropshire, but I have a DY postcode (Dudley). Dudley is 20 miles or a 50 minute drive away. I'm actually closer to Wales than Dudley. Postcodes are weird.

• Haha 1

On 22/02/2024 at 16:16, bickster said:

Took off in Birmingham and landed in Walsall?

Still in the top 30% of drivers in Great Barr. 

• Haha 1

On 22/02/2024 at 18:35, HKP90 said:

I'm in Cleobury, which is in Shropshire, but I have a DY postcode (Dudley). Dudley is 20 miles or a 50 minute drive away. I'm actually closer to Wales than Dudley. Postcodes are weird.

How the hell has Cleobury got a DY postcode

What is the point of living in this country if this sort of stuff is all we will have in our future? The Electric and the Old Rep are absolutely incredible places, historic in every sense. And they are just going to be bulldozed? I am so angry 😡😡😡

https://flatpackfestival.org.uk/news/the-electric-is-closing

Edited by Lichfield Dean
Seems I misread and the Old Rep will probably survive, but the point still stands
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

What is the point of living in this country if this sort of stuff is all we will have in our future? The Electric and the Old Rep are absolutely incredible places, historic in every sense. And they are just going to be bulldozed? I am so angry 😡😡😡

Just for another soulless apartment block, where properties will be hoovered up by overseas investors and let out as Air BnBs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

https://www.change.org/p/designate-birmingham-s-station-street-a-historic-cultural-and-civic-asset

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Well they are going to apply to knock it down, not sure if they will be granted permission or not.

And they plan to keep the Rep anyway according to that article.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Well they are going to apply to knock it down, not sure if they will be granted permission or not.

And they plan to keep the Rep anyway according to that article.

I know, I added the comment to my original post when I realised that they weren't talking about knocking down the rep.

If they do manage to destroy the electric I will not be happy. It shouldn't even be a conversation that needs to be happening.

Â