The AVFC FFP thread

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Bean counters of the world rejoice. The accounts for 2017 are available in handy .pdf stylee from the internets (companies house) - click the link only if tou want to see the 35 pages of bean counting loveliness.

Mmmm. Numbers. Yum.

Funnily enough I was on companies House website the other day having a butchers at the original certificate of incorporation signed by William Mcgregor which is on there, and then had a quick look at the accounts from when we were promoted back to the 1st Division in the 70's and after we won the European Cup. 

Interestingly the 82 accounts make reference to a Police investigation into the finances of the club, I assume connected to The North Stand scandal and the following year HDE was back.  I'm not sure about the history but presumably Ron Bendall was implicated in all that allowing Herbert to sweep back in. 

I only read the chairman's introductory notes in those accounts which were mainly a summary of how the team had performed, the finances just got a couple of words at the end, presumably reflecting the amateurish ways clubs were run back in the day. I've not seen recent accounts but I would guess they talk more about the actual financial performance now rather than the footy. 

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

However, I do know its very easy to get suspicious of things in accounts that we don't understand or have not been explained. I am not sure if this is relevant but I suspect the Chinese have a whole different way to us in the west of presenting accounts.

The notes from the auditor say that the accounts for Recon conform to all the usual British accounting standards. As a non-accountant, much of this could have been written in Chinese for me!

• Haha 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

The notes from the auditor say that the accounts for Recon conform to all the usual British accounting standards. As a non-accountant, much of this could have been written in Chinese for me!

That’s how I feel... I’m amazed anyone except accountants can make head or tail of it. 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Interestingly the 82 accounts make reference to a Police investigation into the finances of the club, I assume connected to The North Stand scandal and the following year HDE was back.  I'm not sure about the history but presumably Ron Bendall was implicated in all that allowing Herbert to sweep back in. 

Here's me shamelessly quoting from my own article! :)

It seemed there was plenty of work to be done, and no expense was spared as costs spiralled and the club dropped into debt. The stand had cost a million pounds to build; these fittings and alterations came to £1.3 million. An internal audit found that half of this money couldn't be accounted for, and whilst this figure was later found to be incorrect, it soon became clear that all was not well with the running of the football club.

The police became involved, and the Bendall family ended its connection with Aston Villa Football Club as it became clear that Ron Bendall had conspired with members of his own staff to obtain money by deception from the Football trust. Terry Rutter was jailed, a fate that Ron escaped. He died in 1983.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/980-everybodys-least-favourite-stand/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Also, We seem to be a lot of companies:

• 1874 Developments is our property company - is it active does anyone know? Is its purpose the redevelopment of the ground? Why would we separate that off?

Not much to tell really that is publicly available

1874 DEVELOPMENTS LIMITED  Company No.15517345

Total Current Directors 2 Total Current Secretaries 0
Total Previous Directors / Company Secretaries 0 Total Person's With Significant Control 1

Current Directors

Title Mr Function Director
Name Keith Wyness Nationality British
Date of Birth 10/1956 Present Appointments 5
Latest Address Trinity Road, Birmingham Appointment Date 17/11/2016
Post Code B6 6HE
Other Actions View Director Report View Consumer Report View AML Report
  View Trace Report View Compliance Report  
Title Mr Function Director
Name Jian Tong Xia Nationality Chinese
Date of Birth 10/1974 Present Appointments 1
Latest Address Trinity Road, Birmingham Appointment Date 17/11/2016
Post Code B6 6HE
Other Actions View Director Report View Consumer Report View AML Report
  View Trace Report View Compliance Report  

Current Company Secretary

Top Shareholders

Name Currency Share Count Share Type Nominal Value % of Total Share Count
RECON GROUP UK LIMITED GBP 1 ORDINARY 1 100

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

me too:D

This is slightly more interesting...

Holding Company RECON GROUP UK LIMITED
Ownership Status Ultimately Owned
Ultimate Holding Company RECON GROUP UK LIMITED

Group StructureFull

Company Name   Safe Number Registered Number Latest Key Financials Consol. Accounts Rating Limit Turnover
tminus.gif RECON GROUP UK LIMITED   UK15092832 10176070 - N N/R -  
T.gif VICVILLA HEALTHY FOOD...   UK15212628 10259197 - N 46 £500  
T.gif 1874 DEVELOPMENTS LIMITED   UK15517345 10484901 - N N/R -  
tminus.gif RECON SPORTS LIMITED   UK05535090 05891280 31.05.2016 Y 17 £0 £108,816,000
T.gif RECON SMART SPORTS L...   UK16276526 11069268 - N 49 £500  
tminus.gif RECON FOOTBALL LIMITED   UK00003632 00046572 31.05.2016 N 55 £810,000 £2,467,220
T.gif ASTON VILLA FC LIM...   UK02164619 02502822 31.05.2016 N 53 £500 £88,869,122
tminus.gif ASTON VILLA FOOTBA...   UK03033776 03375789 31.05.2016 N 38 £2,500 £106,752,215
L.gif ASTON VILLA SOCIA...   UK05556441 05912677 31.05.2016 N 73 £1,000  
T.gif ASTON VILLA LADIES...   UK08707050 08414046 31.05.2016 N 95 £25,000  
L.gif ASTON VILLA LIMITED   UK16030894 10883540 - N 49 £500  

58 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t understand numbers. 

1 Goalkeeper.....2/3 full backs.....4/5 centrebacks.....6/8 midfield.....7/11 wingers.....9/10 forwards.

its easy.:)

• Like 2

That's listed in the accounts Cosmic - it's interesting in that some of those companies have a single share at a value of £1 so I guess they're set up but not yet in use. It'll be interesting finding out what they all do and what they mean for Villa - hopefully VicVilla Healthy Food becomes a world leader and enables us to spend a fortune on players.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's listed in the accounts Cosmic - it's interesting in that some of those companies have a single share at a value of £1 so I guess they're set up but not yet in use. It'll be interesting finding out what they all do and what they mean for Villa - hopefully VicVilla Healthy Food becomes a world leader and enables us to spend a fortune on players.

I've not seen the accounts , are they around somewhere

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

trouble is we have never been much good at that......it seems we buy the player, but no character.....is it an additional extra?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's some very interesting stuff in those accounts - almost all of which I don't think I understand. 

It does tend to suggest that we made a slight profit on player trading in the summer (which probably makes sense) - it looks like we've reduced our overall losses from £80m in the previous year to £14m in this year and that sounds good - even though it's not immediately clear how we did it - there's a £57m figure floating about which I think Dr T has either given or borrowed to the club (I can't understand which it is but I do realise there's a huge difference between the two things!) and the value of our property seems to have dropped by £30m. 

I'm not an accountant, but the comments and stuff seem to suggest that we're in pretty solid shape at the moment.

Can anyone unbeffudle me on the £57m or the property value drop?

Also, We seem to be a lot of companies:

• 1874 Developments is our property company - is it active does anyone know? Is its purpose the redevelopment of the ground? Why would we separate that off?
  • Recon Properties is also a property company that seems to be part of Aston Villa - anyone know why on that one?
  • There are three or four things that look like they might be the football club - is that a result of the process of the buying and selling of the club and the way in which Recon did that, or something else I don't understand?

Qualified accountant to aisle number 4 please.

Not straightforward (or completely known), but...

•  Reduction in losses from £80m to £14m is due to one-offs in the prior year. We had £80m of ‘exceptional items’ - details weren’t disclosed, but this probably resulted from the acquisition, and the Doc writing off things that were overvalued previously. You can see that it was made up of £35m under player transactions and £45m under non-player operations. My guess is that the £45m may have been something to do with the stadium being ‘worth’ less due to being relegated, but I’m not sure. I also strongly suspect that that it was a technicality that was able to be excluded from the FFP test - probably their motivation for doing it. Also, as a new owner - it can almost be blamed on the old regime, and then makes the first year under new ownership look better. 
  • Reduction in property of £30m - I can’t see that?  Our tangible assets (stadium, BMH etc) were about flat at £40m. 
  • The £57m - would have been something to do with the investment at the time of acquisition. It wasn’t new this year though, it was in the 2016 numbers too. 

Not sure that helps...maybe clear why accountants get a bad rep!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Funnily enough I was on companies House website the other day having a butchers at the original certificate of incorporation signed by William Mcgregor which is on there, and then had a quick look at the accounts from when we were promoted back to the 1st Division in the 70's and after we won the European Cup. 

giphy.gif

:D

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Well FFP won't be a concern when*  we get promoted. Also the accounts will look a lot better when we get £100m+ of delicious television money.

*Too soon?

Agreed. 

Although it’s interesting, the new PL rights deal looks like it may be lower than the current one (although with some packages yet to be sold).  So alongside all our general mismanagement over the last decade or so, we will have even timed our (hopefully short) stint out of the PL to have avoided the most lucrative years!  Unbelievable 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Recon Group UK LTD  have 1 share which is 100%. So I think that means they are our owners.

And Xia owns recon.

Would I be correct in thinking that?

Â