Matty Cash

paul514

A bit of a lapse for the opener but other than that he was the only one in the back line that had in anyway a decent performance. Konsa, Lenglet and Digne were awful tbh. 

• Like 2

Needs to learn how to hold the bloody line, every time there's an offside check it's him who's trailing behind.

Exact same thing happened last weekend with Jackson. We got lucky then, sadly not today 

• Like 2

Mistake for the goal, but a menace going forward. I said to my mate, he seems to be one of those players that plays better when it's a more intimidating atmosphere, whereas some of the others seem to shrink away from it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Mistake for the goal, but a menace going forward. I said to my mate, he seems to be one of those players that plays better when it's a more intimidating atmosphere, whereas some of the others seem to shrink away from it.

Problem is our RB isn't suppose to get forward much. If he was a LB he'd be similar to Moreno and a very good option. 

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Problem is our RB isn't suppose to get forward much. If he was a LB he'd be similar to Moreno and a very good option. 

he isnt that good going forward tbh, he isnt technical, he's very rushed in what he does and always looks like a rabbit in the headlights to me.

Im not saying he is a bad player, he's a good player, but if we want to go to the next level/sustain the level we are at, he needs serious competition for that RB spot.

i think we need both a LB and a RB in the summer.

Cash can compete with the new RB, but we defo need one.

Same mistake as against Legia away. Back 5 who haven’t played together a lot with instructions that rely on close work and communication. Cash always seems to be the one stepping up late though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

He wouldn't IMO. Can't play in tight spaces like Moreno can and isn't as composed.

20 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Mistake for the goal, but a menace going forward. 

I think he's pretty poor in attack to be honest. He gets is good positions but his final ball or cross is usually woeful. We definitely need a better right back next season. 

Probably better off going back to Konsa at rb and Carlos alongside Pau to make us more solid at the back against Brughton. Brighton don't score many so keep it tight and we win the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think he's pretty poor in attack to be honest. He gets is good positions but his final ball or cross is usually woeful. We definitely need a better right back next season. 

His crossing is wayward, no argument, but when the wide mid tucks in, which happened a lot in the second half, tactically I'm assuming, he picks up that width. He doesn't have to cross the ball, he has to keep the attack alive, and he does that well. If Leon tucks inside, and the oppo are 10 deep in the penalty box, you need that extra outlet, not for a cross, just to realise the ball, move and start again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

His crossing is wayward, no argument, but when the wide mid tucks in, which happened a lot in the second half, tactically I'm assuming, he picks up that width. He doesn't have to cross the ball, he has to keep the attack alive, and he does that well. If Leon tucks inside, and the oppo are 10 deep in the penalty box, you need that extra outlet, not for a cross, just to realise the ball, move and start again. 

He doesn't keep the attack alive that well. He very rarely spots/executes a penetrative pass (Kenneth). He did make one last night though so fair play. Ashley Young used to make them all the time though.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He doesn't keep the attack alive that well. He very rarely spots/executes a penetrative pass (Kenneth). He did make one last night though so fair play. Ashley Young used to make them all the time though.

In the Chelsea game he should've had two assists. Passed to Rogers for his goal with the decisive run. Then late on he set up Ollie perfectly with a cross from the right but he blazed over wastefully.

Was also the same in the Man. United home game. Look here at 0:35. Cash looks like he has nowhere to go but digs out a fantastic cross and Ollie simply has to score that from the position he's in:

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS | Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester United (youtube.com)

Seems to be a perception that all Cash does is rampage forward at 100mphs and overhit crosses constantly. He did that under Gerrard. Less so under this manager.

If people think the next big RB signing is going to lay on five inch perfect crosses every single game for the forwards then I think that's setting yourselves up to be massively disappointed. We're simply not at the point yet where we can sign one of the best FBs in World football.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

In the Chelsea game he should've had two assists. Passed to Rogers for his goal with the decisive run. Then late on he set up Ollie perfectly with a cross from the right but he blazed over wastefully.

Was also the same in the Man. United home game. Look here at 0:35. Cash looks like he has nowhere to go but digs out a fantastic cross and Ollie simply has to score that from the position he's in:

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS | Aston Villa 1-2 Manchester United (youtube.com)

Seems to be a perception that all Cash does is rampage forward at 100mphs and overhit crosses constantly. He did that under Gerrard. Less so under this manager.

If people think the next big RB signing is going to lay on five inch perfect crosses every single game for the forwards then I think that's setting yourselves up to be massively disappointed. We're simply not at the point yet where we can sign one of the best FBs in World football.

Jeez, going back to the Man Utd game, how long ago was that? I'm not saying Cash doesn't have any good attacking contributions whatsoever, but his inability to spot (and weight) forward passes limits us and lets teams reset. Not even having a go at his crossing, but it's rare he can beat a man without space behind to whip one in anyway.

41 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I hear you, and I don't disagree. There's work to do still, but in the final third he's a much much better option than Konsa going forward, and I love Konsa. 

You can teach someone how to cross a lot easier than you can teach someone how to get into the right position, technique is easier than mindset.

But also, I get why people call him out. I think he's a winner, I think he's a decent defender to things to work on still, I think he's a good option, and also, I think he's one of those players that turns up when it really matters. We're lacking that. 

Not saying he's the best RB in the world, but he's very good and there's a lot to enjoy about him, and I'd like to think he can crack on.

Too close to the line for the offside again. However, when he does get forward he's giving us effort and making stuff happen. A consequence of that however is that Ezri is doubling up as a RB and greatly exposed to anyone with pace.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Too close to the line for the offside again. However, when he does get forward he's giving us effort and making stuff happen. A consequence of that however is that Ezri is doubling up as a RB and greatly exposed to anyone with pace.

It was offside. So he's now getting blamed for offsides which are offside. You know in the first half there were times when Brighton played a quick diagonal to Adingra and Konsa and Carlos didn't step up and played him on so no one player in a unit will always get it right every time.

Our only decent spell in the game came with him linking up with Diaby o.k and sending a few crosses in and winning corners.

He needs to be starting at RB on Thursday as Konsa there just sends all the wrong signals for what we need to do in the second leg.

Â