Matty Cash

paul514

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

His strength in attack is carrying the ball forward. He doesn't get to do that when Unai plays him further forwards. He drifted around not quite sure what to do; his off the ball movement was poor. He and Diaby often ended up in the same channels.

Even at right back he's become really poor going forward.

He gets a pass today as he drew blood from that clearing in the woods Mee.

Cash is a team player does what Emery asks of him and never moans.

He is sometimes great sometimes not so good but always gives his all.

• Like 4

In defense of Cash at RM - and to be clear, I think it's clearly a losing tactic especially away from home - one of the problems is that the pairing of Diaby and Cash on the side doesn't work well against low blocks and against the high press.

Against the high press - Diaby is not the preferred outlet. He's nothing in the air and has struggled holding off his marker or linking play when facing away from goal. Cash is also not good at holding up play with his back to goal building out of the first and second phase. That's compounded with Konsa being tidy - but he's no Pau building out from the back with his passing. Konsa is much better as a carrier of the ball and crucially wins a lot of fouls this way, but not lasering a pin point pass into feet. I think teams have cottoned onto this and are purposefully forcing the ball to move to our right hand side away from home to build out that way. Bournemouth purposefully did this as did Wolves a bit.

Against the low block - Diaby really needs to sit in between the midfield and defender lines in order to give Cash a better 1v1 opportunity against the fullback. Too often, Diaby wants to receive the ball ahead of the midfield line and away from the half space to get away from the physicality of the situation. This has a knock on effect because when Cash receives the ball, he's often double teamed and already not great at beating his marker. Compare this to JJ and Moreno on the other side where JJ is much more comfortable receiving the ball in the half space with defenders around him, allowing Moreno to get in behind or go 1v1. When McGinn plays on that side - he really pins that defending fullback with his arse (see his cross for Zaniolo's goal vs Zrinsjki)

So you have a situation with Diaby not comfortable in the half space between the lines because he's at his best running at opponents facing forward and then Cash being very subpar at beating his man 1v1 much less 1v2. It's one thing when Bailey has the ball in that same position. He's able to beat 1v1's and even put in a cross with 1v2's.

Edited by DJBOB

5 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

As far as I am concerned every player, including Cash, has played their part in getting us to where we are right now and I am going to enjoy that. I do not understand a mentality that searches for things to criticise when things overall are so good.

Because they can always get better.  He's the weak link in the team currently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

As far as I am concerned every player, including Cash, has played their part in getting us to where we are right now and I am going to enjoy that. I do not understand a mentality that searches for things to criticise when things overall are so good.

Searching for things to criticise? We're just discussing things.

Cash should be played exclusively at RB as an overlapping fullback.

Asking him to play 1v1 like a winger or as an midfielder that goes inside during the build up is a rare profile mismatch that Unai has wrong in my opinion.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'll miss the day when I can no longer shout MATTY CASH! MATTY CASH! like that excited child in the Polish Christmas advert when he receives the ball. 

Grow up Sid, you sound as childish as me and my Mrs knows for a fact that nobody’s that childish! Not to be messed with my wife, so whatch out!!

• Shocked 1

55 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Cash should be played exclusively at RB as an overlapping fullback.

Asking him to play 1v1 like a winger or as a midfielder that goes inside during the build up is a rare profile mismatch that Unai has wrong in my opinion.

Agree - the problem is, he’s so reluctant to get forward and ping in the crosses we know he can deliver. It’s a mystery. I still want him in the squad - we need a different option - and competition to make him better. 

• Like 1

Â