Matty Cash

paul514

Matty is another one I feel people are sometimes too harsh on.

He is either absolute shite or brilliant on here.

He could definitely do with some competition, or even an upgrade, but it's not fair to forget all his good performances when he has a bad one imo.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Matty is another one I feel people are sometimes too harsh on.

He is either absolute shite or brilliant on here.

He could definitely do with some competition, or even an upgrade, but it's not fair to forget all his good performances when he has a bad one imo.

He's a hard working squad player that hasn't put up a fuss and is professional in a position that asks for a lot and doesn't get a lot of recognition most of the time.

He's been asked to play RB, then sometimes a center back in a back 3, then sometimes a wingback, then sometimes a right mid and has also been shifted to LB.

That kind of versatility is hard to find and he's not perfect, but you don't need a Bouba and Dougie at each position.

For everyone saying we need better, I get it, but all top 4 full backs have flaws.  They're either great going forward, but pants defending, like Trent, or great at defending and pants at attacking, like Wan-Bissaka.

Matty I think fits somewhere in the middle, he's pretty good at both, but can and does seem "worse" than the other full backs in the league because of this.

• Like 2

On 13/11/2023 at 17:59, lapal_fan said:

For everyone saying we need better, I get it, but all top 4 full backs have flaws.  They're either great going forward, but pants defending, like Trent, or great at defending and pants at attacking, like Wan-Bissaka.

Matty I think fits somewhere in the middle, he's pretty good at both, but can and does seem "worse" than the other full backs in the league because of this.

Reece James is great at both the difference of course is his flaw is that he plays about 15 games a season. 

On 14/11/2023 at 01:59, lapal_fan said:

Matty is a good right back and gives tactical flexibility as he can play midfield so I wouldn’t sell him.

However, at this level, he’s the one that’s going to get targeted by Spurs, Man City and Arsenal as the weak link defensively. He also still doesn’t create anywhere near enough (the comparison is Trent, Reece James, Trippier) to justify his spot in the team. We don’t need competition for him, we need a very clear upgrade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Matty is a good right back and gives tactical flexibility as he can play midfield so I wouldn’t sell him.

However, at this level, he’s the one that’s going to get targeted by Spurs, Man City and Arsenal as the weak link defensively. He also still doesn’t create anywhere near enough (the comparison is Trent, Reece James, Trippier) to justify his spot in the team. We don’t need competition for him, we need a very clear upgrade. 

In fairness to Matty, I think Digne is far more likely to be targeted. He’s slower and weaker defensively than Matty in my opinion. I haven’t seen Cash get caught out by a run in behind anything close to the number of times Digne has. In fact, I think Cash is quite solid defensively. 

1 hour ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

In fairness to Matty, I think Digne is far more likely to be targeted. He’s slower and weaker defensively than Matty in my opinion. I haven’t seen Cash get caught out by a run in behind anything close to the number of times Digne has. In fact, I think Cash is quite solid defensively. 

I’m assuming Moreno will be back in by then. Digne is a similar level to Cash but slightly better in my opinion. Cash also strikes me as being earnest, very likable but maybe not the most intelligent footballer in the world. Either way the only obvious spot in the XI that can be upgraded without spending 50m+ or striking gold via scouting. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Demitri_C said:

Unai please please never play him rw again. He was bloody awful and lucky not to have been sent off

Wasn't he a winger pre Villa?

How can the position look so alien to him

Â