Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Surely that must be a parody account?

Afraid not. He's graced these pages before, with some rather unpleasant racism towards Kamala Harris during the US election.

Although I was inaccurate - he is UUP, not DUP. Apparently there's a difference. 

12 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Switched on bunch of lads, those DUP boys.

What's that phrase the kids use? - "there are no words..."

(if that's been done I apologise - twitter is blocked - I can only see the text part of the original embedded tweet) 

A UK government minister has said he is "sick" of seeing stickers from a pro-independence campaign.

David TC Davies defended plans for an eight-storey high union jack on the corner of a new UK government building in Cardiff.

Mr Davies claimed that the organisation illegally places stickers "all over the place" without planning permission.

Cockwomble Complains…

This is the same guy that wants the Welsh language taken off road signs as he believes its dangerous and causes road accidents.

Anyway, this is the plan for the Tax Office in central Cardiff…an 8 storey high flag decal…

spacer.png

Personally, I’d see an 8 storey tall jack flag on the Westminster taxes satellite office a bit off an own goal, but each to their own.

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Personally, I’d see an 8 storey tall jack flag on the Westminster taxes satellite office a bit off an own goal, but each to their own.

They don't pay taxes so they don't understand

• Like 1

Interesting step announced today, of scrapping the 'English Votes for English Laws' rule that only English MPs vote on laws that only affect England. Instead, we're going back to the old system where MPs representing Scottish and Welsh seats get to vote on matters that are devolved and therefore don't affect the residents of those seats.

It's interesting that the Tories are rowing back on this Cameron-era rule, despite the fact they implemented it in the first place, and despite their massive majority. Goes to show that behind the bluster about absolutely not allowing a referendum on Scottish independence, they're feeling the heat IMO.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Interesting step announced today, of scrapping the 'English Votes for English Laws' rule that only English MPs vote on laws that only affect England. Instead, we're going back to the old system where MPs representing Scottish and Welsh seats get to vote on matters that are devolved and therefore don't affect the residents of those seats.

It's interesting that the Tories are rowing back on this Cameron-era rule, despite the fact they implemented it in the first place, and despite their massive majority. Goes to show that behind the bluster about absolutely not allowing a referendum on Scottish independence, they're feeling the heat IMO.

This isn't about “feeling the heat” at all. It's about ramming home that they will no be having aindyref2, this is just a jesture (sic) to annoy the nationalists by making a big One Nation move and instead of giving more slack to devolved nations they are trying to tie it all back in together

• Like 1

I’ve just checked the number of seats in Westminster held by the various equal partner nations.

Sneaky feeling England could still just about edge most votes.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just checked the number of seats in Westminster held by the various equal partner nations.

Sneaky feeling England could still just about edge most votes.

Just as well every vote is derived purely by national boundaries so that MPs in devolved regions can't swing the result of a tight vote that only affects England.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea how many bills there were which even had the EVEL, or EWVEWL process applied, but conceptually, it seems to be rules that make sense and I've seen little justification for removing them.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

This isn't about “feeling the heat” at all. It's about ramming home that they will no be having aindyref2, this is just a jesture (sic) to annoy the nationalists by making a big One Nation move and instead of giving more slack to devolved nations they are trying to tie it all back in together

I don't agree TBH. They had the 'cake and eating it too' option of no Indyref *and* keeping EVEL (it literally required doing nothing); however, they have made a concession here that will annoy their base (it is typically conservatives who get annoyed by 'the West Lothian question', and EVEL was for their base originally). It's telling that they feel the need to 'tie it all back in together'.

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't agree TBH. They had the 'cake and eating it too' option of no Indyref *and* keeping EVEL (it literally required doing nothing); however, they have made a concession here that will annoy their base (it is typically conservatives who get annoyed by 'the West Lothian question', and EVEL was for their base originally). It's telling that they feel the need to 'tie it all back in together'.

It's an odd one. I'm not sure what the concession is, or to who they've given it?

The nationalists in "not England" have their principles of "we don't vote on stuff that doesn't affect us" - because "we're a separate nation". The nationalists (as far as I'm aware) haven't been asking to vote of purely English matters. So if not them, then who? Clearly not the people who think England's politicians should be the ones (and the only ones) who decide what happens in England. So that leaves who, exactly? Who has been calling for the SNP to vote on English only powers? Or for the DUP or Plaid or whoever?

It looks to me like it's some kind of (self perceived on their part) "smart" Tory gesture move to just indicate "we're all one place", but which has absolutely zero effect on anything or anyone at all, including perception outside their own tiny minds. What am I missing? I guess at most it'll (understandably) annoy people who think "actually, English MPs should be the only ones voting on English stuff".

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's an odd one. I'm not sure what the concession is, or to who they've given it?

The nationalists in "not England" have their principles of "we don't vote on stuff that doesn't affect us" - because "we're a separate nation". The nationalists (as far as I'm aware) haven't been asking to vote of purely English matters. So if not them, then who? Clearly not the people who think England's politicians should be the ones (and the only ones) who decide what happens in England. So that leaves who, exactly? Who has been calling for the SNP to vote on English only powers? Or for the DUP or Plaid or whoever?

It looks to me like it's some kind of (self perceived on their part) "smart" Tory gesture move to just indicate "we're all one place", but which has absolutely zero effect on anything or anyone at all, including perception outside their own tiny minds. What am I missing? I guess at most it'll (understandably) annoy people who think "actually, English MPs should be the only ones voting on English stuff".

These are good points, and I'm not saying this will necessarily be an effective gesture, just that it's interesting that they felt the need to do it at all.

The people for whom the concession is designed are (primarily Scottish) unionists outside England; they hate EVEL because they see it as formalising Scottish MPs as second-class MPs at Westminster; while you're right that the SNP currently have nearly all of the Scottish seats, the other three parties of course do not want it to stay this way in the future - it's not that they want the SNP MPs specifically to wield this power but that they want Scottish MPs generally to have this power.

You're right that it will annoy English Tory voters - the vast majority of their base - and it's interesting that they feel the need to do so, when they don't *have to*.

• Thanks 1

This has sadly reminded me of the shitty tin whistle marching bollocks I'm going to have to deal with at work tomorrow

I'm not sure if the marching on the streets is allowed this year (hope not) but it won't stop the whoppers doing it in the car park of the club next door to our office

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

This is a tidier job thankfully seeing how close they put the childrens bouncing castles. You can also note the damage last years one did on nearby houses.

Dunno how I'd managed to go through half a life without hearing about this practice until this year, but I had.

Nation

The UK Government has refused to release secret polling on attitudes towards the union, following a legal order to make it public.

Michael Gove’s Union Unit used emergency Covid funds in order to conduct the polls and a tribunal ruling last month gave the Cabinet Office 28 days to hand over the relevant documents.

However, Gove’s department decided to appeal the decision just as the deadline set by the panel expired.

When Westminster doesn’t want to release the results of secret polling, we can probably draw our own conclusions about that polling.

• Like 3

Â